Lt. Commander
# 11
10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
And if you read the dev response to the backlash on the blog you will see that they said they would think on it some more.

If they are smart they will restore the tokens all the way up to VA.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
And if you read the dev response to the backlash on the blog you will see that they said they would think on it some more.

If they are smart they will restore the tokens all the way up to VA.
Again, there really wouldn't be much point. You can only fly one ship at a time, for crying out loud. Even if you do maintain a full set of ships for VA, you're still going to need dilithium to respec, last I checked. I don't know how much offhand, but still.

That's just the way I look at it, and I don't really expect Cryptic will look at it differently. After all, part of the point of free-to-play is to get folks to spend money.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kant_Lavar
Again, there really wouldn't be much point. You can only fly one ship at a time, for crying out loud. Even if you do maintain a full set of ships for VA, you're still going to need dilithium to respec, last I checked. I don't know how much offhand, but still.

That's just the way I look at it, and I don't really expect Cryptic will look at it differently. After all, part of the point of free-to-play is to get folks to spend money.
What does how many ships you can fly have to do with anything?
You get a respec token at every rank as a Gold member and the VA ships are unique from their Rear Admiral counterparts.

The point of free-to-play is to get non-subcribers to spend money, not to fleece the subscribers.

In the end, all that matters is that subscribers don't get cheated, I.E that the VA tokens stay.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-15-2011, 03:04 PM
*Start Rant*

I posted a similar topic the other day and got slammed by one user about "Wanting everything for free" He totally missed the point, but this OP has my point exactly, gold members SHOULD get to pick that ONE VA ship when they hit that rank free.. This is not wanting everything, its wanting that one ship pick we get now for actually PAYING TO PLAY THE GAME, not just emptying our credits crards into the c-store in order to best everyone else by saying Oh I already bought that..

We are getting fleeced big time, we are losing a lot from the game that we have been paying for. This fleecing and removing of ships etc and limitations should ONLY ever be appliled to the silver, not the Gold/Lifers...

*End Rant*
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree with the OP. Paying members current or future should not lose anything with this transition. You are basically talking about screwing the people that have kept you going all this time and it is not fair. Please bring back the VA tokens as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Why should we get these ships? They are not T6 ships, they are simply the Admiral Level equivalent to the Rhode Island, TOS Connie, T3 Excelsior/Nebula, etc.

Should we get those for free because we're paying for the game?

They are 100%, absolutely, purely, optional. You do not need them to advance in the game, you do not need them to be competitive at level 51, they give you a slight edge, but that's it.

And we're not losing anything, they're not going to go to our Holodeck toons and take away our VA ships cause we didn't pay C-Store points for them. If you want a new alt you're going to have to put work into him. That is all. If you're getting close to VA on Holodeck, go back to Holodeck and spend the next couple of weeks getting him to VA so you can use your token before they go away.

If you don't think what you get for being a gold member is worth it, don't pay for it. If you're a lifer, well, you should have realized going in that there was no looking back, and you'd be stuck with whatever changes Cryptic decides to make to the game, good or bad. Besides, you get to play forever for the equivalent of 20 months of subscription. So if you became a lifer before June 2010 you are getting everything a gold member will be getting for free.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
They are just putting on their poker face thinking we are a poor hand and that theres a royal flush of F2P to make us obsolete in their money making plans. Which isn't the case I'm not one to say oh look at this game but in reality with a poor history of reviews and games with a very high reputation... Cryptic is out of its league trying to get a date with the prom queen with these standards they are trying to throw out.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I think its amazing how the apologists dont see anything wrong with paying customers LOOSING things that are free to subscribers on live. The Point of F2P is to get Silver members to spend money not nickle and dime paying subscribers.

I wouldnt have a problem with F2P if it didnt severely degrade the experience from where it currently is on Live, but it does, the game is much worse off for actual paying subscribers then it is right now. Your paying the same amount, why settle for less?
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Quite frankly I don't even understand why the apologists bother posting.
I mean they are obviously fine with things either way and do not care, so why even argue?

If Cryptic decides to listen to the feedback and keep the VA tokens then thats a win for everyone, so why work against it?
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Because in my opinion it's not a win. Like I said above, giving the VA ship token in the first place was, IMHO, a mistake. And this is the perfect oportunity for Cryptic to fix that mistake.

Frankly, I see people complaining about losing their ship tokens and, horror or horrors, actually having to put some work into the game and I just find it sad. I don't want a game where everything's handed to me on a silver platter. That's not fun, or at least, that's not a game. The reason I left STO the first time was because there was no challenge, I was max level within about 2 weeks, with every mission in the game done, and a T5 ship (best at the time) fully kitted out with purples.

And to be honest, your avatars don't do much to convince me that your opinion should matter, a giant "anti-cryptic" sign, to me, just says that no matter what Cryptic did you wouldn't be happy.