Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
10-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

Hopefully, one reason they could be removing it is to remove the unfavourable precedent it sets for possible future starship crafting. But that is just wishful thinking on my part.
But then those poor guys at Utopia Planitia would be out of jobs!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
10-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
But then those poor guys at Utopia Planitia would be out of jobs!
Perhaps we will be the guys at Utopia Planitia some day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
The premise was good, but the mission sucked. Lets not glorify it just yet. Their hardly removing content when the ship is still available based on currency earned in game, much like anomalies are.

Hopefully, one reason they could be removing it is to remove the unfavourable precedent it sets for possible future starship crafting. But that is just wishful thinking on my part.
Well, I would like to politely disagree =) I didn't feel the mission sucked. But a dialogue -- not only between Cryptic and the players, but between the players -- is good! So let me ask, what did you not like about the mission? It wasn't the most immersive thing, scanning for anomalies in a shuttle in order to qualify for a shuttle, but it wasn't much less immersive than collecting dilithium for a new ship; it just had a more specific flavor.

Also, what is different about the shuttle mini-grind mission compared to grinding for dilithium? What precedent do you find unfavorable about starship crafting?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
It wasn't the most immersive thing, scanning for anomalies in a shuttle in order to qualify for a shuttle, but it wasn't much less immersive than collecting dilithium for a new ship; it just had a more specific flavor.
It also provided an actual reason, other than "The Vault," to keep and use a shuttle. In fact, it's changed my anomaly collection behavior in general terms. I often now go to an exploration cluster, go to my ship interior and switch to a shuttle, then use the shuttle for as long as I want to collect anomalies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
What's really bad isn't that they removed the Craft a Delta Flyer mission. What's really bad is that the game still claims you can do it. If you go to Commander Romaine in Memory Alpha and ask her about buidling the Flyer, she tells you what she's always told you, to contact Wildman at K7. However, Wildman won't give you the mission. I thought at first that maybe it was a rank thing, but I'm a Rear Admiral Lower Half, so there aren't many ranks left for me to obtain and I still can't get the mission. (I tried yesterday, after my promotion)

If Cryptic did remove the mission and intends for it to stay gone, they need to remove the thing at Memory Alpha where Romaine claims you can craft one. Hack job removal of content never works in favor of the developers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg180 View Post
If Cryptic did remove the mission and intends for it to stay gone, they need to remove the thing at Memory Alpha where Romaine claims you can craft one. Hack job removal of content never works in favor of the developers.
Has anyone brought that up in the Tribble test forums? I know the dev's have stated they are still plugging things in. Are they intending to remove it or is it just not there yet?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Has anyone brought that up in the Tribble test forums? I know the dev's have stated they are still plugging things in. Are they intending to remove it or is it just not there yet?
Hm, I thought this was on the Tribble test forum. (that would have made sense, as this is a Tribble issue) However, I see now that I was wrong.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Well, I would like to politely disagree =) I didn't feel the mission sucked. But a dialogue -- not only between Cryptic and the players, but between the players -- is good! So let me ask, what did you not like about the mission? It wasn't the most immersive thing, scanning for anomalies in a shuttle in order to qualify for a shuttle, but it wasn't much less immersive than collecting dilithium for a new ship; it just had a more specific flavor.

Also, what is different about the shuttle mini-grind mission compared to grinding for dilithium? What precedent do you find unfavorable about starship crafting?
I'm glad you like(d) the mission. The reason I say it sucked was because it wasn't added for gameplay means but solely to say 'this ship is available ingame like we said'. I've done more basic missions in my time than that, but for something which has literally set the scene for player crafting of ships it was completely lacklustre and I think depth should come into judging it harshly or not as a good or bad mission on that note. Each entitled to their opinion, and if you enjoyed it, thats cool - making your own shuttle IS a very cool thing to do, I'm not saying otherwise.

As for that precedent.. well.. it clearly locks in player ship crafting as being something specific, and while this may be fine for a shuttle, it could pose a complication if, later on, Cryptic decide to allow for player/community created ships to be made in a more in depth way. Any such feature would no doubt utilize a range of other game features to achieve, all with the goal of keeping players playing for a reasonably adequate period of time (and doing stuff during that time). But who knows, its equally likely they are removing it for other reasons entirely.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
10-18-2011, 11:40 AM
The Delta Data (Daily) mission is plain on it's own, but it can be combine with doing other Exploration missions. I combine the mission with doing my B'Train Exploration Daily missions. I can't always complete both Dallies concurrently (the space combat missions are a bit hard in just a shuttle). But the ground missions aren't any problems in a shuttle. If I still have a mission or three left in my B'Train Dallies, I just hope back into my Starship and go to town.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik


I'm glad you like(d) the mission. The reason I say it sucked was because it wasn't added for gameplay means but solely to say 'this ship is available ingame like we said'. I've done more basic missions in my time than that, but for something which has literally set the scene for player crafting of ships it was completely lacklustre and I think depth should come into judging it harshly or not as a good or bad mission on that note. Each entitled to their opinion, and if you enjoyed it, thats cool - making your own shuttle IS a very cool thing to do, I'm not saying otherwise.

As for that precedent.. well.. it clearly locks in player ship crafting as being something specific, and while this may be fine for a shuttle, it could pose a complication if, later on, Cryptic decide to allow for player/community created ships to be made in a more in depth way. Any such feature would no doubt utilize a range of other game features to achieve, all with the goal of keeping players playing for a reasonably adequate period of time (and doing stuff during that time). But who knows, its equally likely they are removing it for other reasons entirely.
I have to disagree with this. why should it pose a complication for future crafting. As a crafter in game this was the only crafting chain quest you can get in game. the rest are so boring that you wonder how one came to understand to craft such a thing like (Aegis set). One would have expected that to be a long chain quest but it not. If cryptic decide to allow player/community to craft ships i hope it more like how we craft ships in eve-online only make it more trek like. first one need to get the Schematic for what type of ship they want to craft. The Schematic should be broken down into parts like hull, deflectors, Impulse Engines and so on. only by getting all the schematic and putting all the data samples, particle traces can you only craft a ship. this way crafter can only choose to craft let say the engines part of setting ships build if they want or build the whole ships and sell. This way it gives the crafting more mean and enjoyable then what it is now.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM.