Lt. Commander
# 31
10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm saying why not just make everything give DL ore as a reward and have no dailies. Because again, it really makes no difference how much you earn if you can only refine the daily amount. That way at least people can go about earning it the way they prefer and not feel like they have to do something they dont like(like PvP or Foundry missions or whatever) just to get enough ore to refine.
Now that I've considered it, there are two reasons I can think of to put daily limits on previously unlimited content:
  1. Makes players log in more frequently in order to obtain Dilithium. If those areas remain unlimited I could farm up as much Ore as I wanted then log in for 1 min every day to refine my stash. Limits make you log in each day and play.

2. STO has largely been a solo game. The introduction of Calendar Events for Dilithium makes STO much more a social game. Daily limits will also make players engage in these social events more because solo methods are now limited.
Lt. Commander
# 32 Awesome Idea!!!!
10-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Devs, I got an Awesome Idea for you guys. You know the little green dot you have at the top of the Website and Launcher that tells you if the Holo-Deck Server is up or not. Can we PLEASE get one of those dots on the Website and Launcher for the Tribble F2P Server too.

That way you don't have to log in and load up to find out you cannot get into the server yet. This would be greatly apprciated by all Tribble Testers I think.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you for this. To be honest, I think this has been the most beneficial blog post yet. It's detailed, gives us an idea of what you are doing and why. It gives the community something to focus around instead of wild speculation.

More importantly, if you really think about it, this post revealed nothing of your plans and didn't promise anything. It was purely insight into Cryptic's thoughts and internal brainstorming. Please continue with this kind of communication. I for one feel very good knowing what kind of feedback you are expecting from from the community and what ideas you might seriously consider.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
They werent going to give ANY tokens a week ago, but now they are in response to player feedback.
yes and they should, but not for va. it should be a grind or bought from c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
FALSE.
The system can work if the C-Store to Dilithium conversion rate is fixed at a certain rate, so that C-Store points are faster and cheaper than grinding Dilithium. Impatient players will buy C-Store points, patient players will grind Dilithium and exchange, but the idea of gating certain ships or gear or what-have-you in order to force those conversions and justify money gouging is immoral and unacceptable.
Why would I sell my Dilithium if there was nothing of value to buy with C-Points?

Also I think suggesting a video game economy is immoral is just grand standing. On top of that if you think the people from Cryptic are just out right lying to pad their wallets what weight could you expect your protest to have?

As far as the blog post goes I like the flow of information here. I like having a sense of what they are going for and am able to understand that these are ideas subject to change if something doesn't work. Reading these forums sometimes makes me think Star Trek Online is bad for your mental health. I don't think a game should have this much control over people's emotional states. Every time something happens or changes in this game it's "a slap in the face" on here.

And really pay to win? It's played out already. They tried selling ship skins that didn't do anything and no one bought them. You want to see new ships then this is how they will make it into the game. This is how it's been for the last 18 months and F2P isn't going to change that.
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Why would I sell my Dilithium if there was nothing of value to buy with C-Points?

Also I think suggesting a video game economy is immoral is just grand standing. On top of that if you think the people from Cryptic are just out right lying to pad their wallets what weight could you expect your protest to have?

As far as the blog post goes I like the flow of information here. I like having a sense of what they are going for and am able to understand that these are ideas subject to change if something doesn't work. Reading these forums sometimes makes me think Star Trek Online is bad for your mental health. I don't think a game should have this much control over people's emotional states. Every time something happens or changes in this game it's "a slap in the face" on here.

And really pay to win? It's played out already. They tried selling ship skins that didn't do anything and no one bought them. You want to see new ships then this is how they will make it into the game. This is how it's been for the last 18 months and F2P isn't going to change that.
i love how your avatar suits your post.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Now that I've considered it, there are two reasons I can think of to put daily limits on previously unlimited content:
  1. Makes players log in more frequently in order to obtain Dilithium. If those areas remain unlimited I could farm up as much Ore as I wanted then log in for 1 min every day to refine my stash. Limits make you log in each day and play.

2. STO has largely been a solo game. The introduction of Calendar Events for Dilithium makes STO much more a social game. Daily limits will also make players engage in these social events more because solo methods are now limited.
That is all fine and good, but they can make it so you can claim the Ore only once per day and offer an option like they do for the Foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
This is a very good point, either cap refinement or make dailies, a combination of both is far too restrictive.
I agree with the both of you as well.

A gated resource dodes not need two tiers of gating. There simply is no call for it.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-13-2011, 06:31 PM
This would be a great system, if it didn't mean that you are going to once again repeat the same content over and over again.

This type of system would be great in a game where territory control or real pve mining/crafting/exploration existed. As it is, a handfull of missions and a half baked pvp system do not inspire the desire to log in for an houur, let alone months.

Fallen earth is doing things you need to learn from as far as crafting/pvp/and meaningful endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
Good blog post. I'm looking forward to trading my Dilithium for some folks Cstore points.
My advice; buy early.

I just don't see how the Currency Exchange will have any long term functionality.