Lt. Commander
I logged into Tribble tonight and it's clear the DOFF system is still in need of reward balancing.

- REMOVE the captain xp, or make it a token amount (like 1-100 points per assignment). Your DOFFs are the ones doing the work, not your captain.

- INCREASE the DOFF category cxp. As it stands now, it takes way too long to achieve the tiers past tier 2, and even that is a stretch at 15,000.

First and foremost, there should never be a case where I can run one mission for 20 hours and log back in to get a free level(s). One of my old medical missions that was still in queue was altered, yet it still showed over 1,600 captain xp as one reward. That's just nuts. Players should not be auto-leveling by running the DOFF system 1-2 times a day and logging back out. We don't need STO: Free to Farm, where players only run dilithium missions and the DOFF system until they get to the level cap and start playing the other content. Right now, that's all too easy a leveling strategy. My Fed is at the level cap, has done none of the Romulan or Cardassian area missions, plus probably half of the Klingon front missions, and can't even get into the Borg stuff because it's gated based on content completed. I didn't WANT to level that fast without doing missions; it just happened because I was working so hard at DOFF stuff due to the slow advancement there.

On the other hand, Diplomacy is too easy. Marauding is just plain broken for me now, so who knows what's going on there. It seems like maybe the tier breakpoints were lowered and being above them broke the progress meter, not to mention stealing my chance to get any of the DOFF rewards I hadn't yet earned.

The alterations also apparently nerfed the cxp from the one non-Diplomacy category that actually showed something approaching progress: Medical. For both factions it was the only one I had a hope of getting to tier 2 with within reason, though even the old Medical cxp amounts would have taken ages to get me to tier 4. I can understand if Cryptic wants the DOFF system to be slow-advancing so players don't give up on it after a couple weeks, but right now it's silly. Players should feel like they're advancing at least 1-2 DOFF areas at the same rate they're leveling, or be able to more slowly advance multiple categories. What's the point of having the DOFF tokens for the tiers if natural recruiting will get you all the DOFFs you'll ever need before you get to tier 3 on any category?

Oh, and about Diplomacy and Marauding ... why no tier 4 reward? I can guess that Diplomacy had none because it was supposed to award a BOFF, but that was broken up until today. I can't tell now if it still is, because I can't go back and get a reward after passing the reward trigger. Marauding just plain had nothing, since it was apparently little more than a copy-paste of Diplomacy. Even the Marauding DOFFs in the store were unimpressive. It seemed they weren't as varied and useful as the Diplomacy ones.

Also, since the patch there seem to be way too many Marauding offers. There needs to be a better balance among offer categories so players don't get stuck without being able to find a mission or two in a category they want to actively advance.

And back to the broken unclaimable past rewards ... Cryptic, you REALLY need to fix this issue. It's been a problem since, well, pre-launch beta. If I miss a reward because it wasn't working right, then when the fix or change patch goes through, the character should receive those rewards retroactively. This should be trackable, so fix it. For instance, if Klingons are supposed to get BOFFs at certain levels (which we WERE NOT!) then when the fix comes through, we should receive all those BOFF offers. Same for ship discount tokens or any other thing that is a major advancement-based reward.

For tangible, limited-storage things like BOFFs, maybe the whole popup reward system needs to be changed. Give BOFF tokens or dilithium and direct us to a store with random officers at each rarity level for each race/sex/department. Don't show us the specific traits and skills -- randomize that part upon purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Remove the captain XP?

Hell no.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Why not? So people can continue to rank up without ever taking a mission? It needs to be removed or awarded at a tiny fraction of what we're seeing now, or else you outlevel 3/4 of the game before getting through Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Diplomacy really is broken, it DOESNT give enough xp. Really 2-3d for 9 dxp? LOL thats a joke, you can do diplomatic missions for 10 dxp a pop multiple times a day. This is plain grinding nonsense anyway you slice it.

In fact the whole system is broken, it needs a substantial XP increase across the board, including diplomacy and the timers lowered. Waiting 3 Real Life days is NOT Fun. At the absolute most DOFF missions should run 1 day or less.

Also Captain XP should stay, afterall by ordering lackeys around is an experience. Its also another layer of choice. If someone wants to Facebook their way to higher levels, let them. It'lll probably take a long time but who are YOU to say how people should play the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-14-2011, 12:00 AM
No on both counts. As captain you're overseeing the missions, that's a part of being a captain and what nets you the experience.

One new thing i fully intend on doing when it goes live is levelling a new toon solely on Doff XP. It adds a new challenge to the standard levelling process for me.

No on making the requirements smaller too, i don't want the commendations to last a week then never touch doffs again. I'm loving the doff system, i want it to last many months, possibly even a year or two. It's a time sink, it should work as one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
yeah my Marauding xp bar is broken also.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
The captain skill points awarded for Doff missions needs to be toned way down. That's about all I agree with the op.

Right now I've managed to level a Fed to VA1 and I'm not even halfway through the Romulan story arc. Saturday's Child is next. I know the leveling curve is fouled up because of all the bonus skill points they're awarding on story missions to get us through faster. But when I can start a bunch of Doff assignments, go to bed and log in the next morning to discover the completed missions jumped my character from Captain 1 to Captain 4 (true story) something is off.

I'm all for the Doff system being a supplement to normal leveling, or even an alternate leveling path if that's all you want to do. But to get a character from start to VA1 doing nothing but Doff missions you should have to pretty much have to max out most commendation categories.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
One of the goals of the system is to provide for different play patterns and different playstyles which is why there are some very short assignments and some very long assignments. If you want long assignments because you are only logging in a couple of weeks, we want there to be long assignments available. Conversely, if you are playing more actively, we want there to be shorter assignments that reward you appropriately for your time investment.

The intention is that the rewards should line up in terms of perceived and in terms of actual benefit depending on time and rarity. We have not, obviously, hit this balance point yet, but we still have a long way to go in this beta and will continue iterating on the system until we get it to where it needs to be.

The system is intended to allow you to level with it, but it generally should be a supplement to other activities. It can be a replacement, but the intent is that this will in fact be slower.

Marauding and Diplomacy should both be giving bridge officer and other rewards at Tier IV. There are some bugs with both of these that we are currently investigating.

Medical Relief assignments were literally bugged in the data; they were rewarding as if they were rare blue assignments, but were showing up at the same rate as uncommon green assignments.

That being said, we are continuing to iterate on the commendation tier caps and the CXP rewards, and will be lowering the caps to reach each tier by a to-be-determined amount. And, even then, it probably won't be the last time during this beta that we alter it.

Finally, Diplomacy is going to be nuked from orbit and operated on to make it work on the same scale as the other commendation categories. We were trying to avoid this given the impact it has on Content's time and the likely bugs that are going to arise from this, but the conclusion we have come to is that it simply is necessary.

This is a test server, and we are iterating very rapidly and will continue to change as fast as we are able to receive and process information from the playerbase. We deeply appreciate that players are taking their time to test these issues even knowing that it is temporary and there will inevitably - as a function of it being a test server - be many disruptions and little compensation able to be done for bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_dorgeans View Post
Why not? So people can continue to rank up without ever taking a mission? It needs to be removed or awarded at a tiny fraction of what we're seeing now, or else you outlevel 3/4 of the game before getting through Commander.
When the DOFF system was first being announced someone at cryptic (can't remember who it was) spoke about "being able to hit VA without ever firing a weapon". This would currently mean grinding up to the level at which you unlock the DOFF system with only the non-combat diplomacy missions, but it should be possible.

I do agree that the xp rewards could be toned down a bit, but they should not be removed. If someone would really like to level all the way to VA without any combat, why not allow them to do so.

Also, the last character I leveled on Holodeck got to captain 7 by doing the episodes and patrols. After that I needed to grind at least half the xp needed for each level-up before a new story mission would be available. With the Doff system in place you can get some extra xp while you level up, without it being a grind. I'm not saying this should allow you to hit VA without ever having to grind, but it would be nice to get a few levels out of it.

ps. Cryptic, how about a reward/accolade for hitting a certain level w/o any combat.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Hopefully Cryptic will see Large XP Requirements and Real Time multiple day long mission timers are mutually exclusive. Especially when the XP payouts are so low, it makes the system impossible for all but the most hardcore gamer.

I like that the XP Requirements are going to be lowered, but hopefully they start lowering the mission timers. If they want to have long term assignments those better be the ones paying high XP. There are so many 9xp or less missions that last for days and that screams broken to me since the Time invest to reward ratio is horrible skewed there.

1-20 xp missions should be in the magnitude of less then 1 hour to 5 hours max.

Thanks Cryptic though for allowing for people to level by the DOFF system, if people want to be a Administrative Captain and not a Action Hero Captain they very well should be able.