Lt. Commander
# 21
10-16-2011, 02:50 AM
I don't feel like diplo needs to be nuke per se, but the tiers do need an adjustment. Grinding out daily diplo missions wouldn't interfere with the doff diplo missions if the points required are adjusted upwards accordingly.

I absolutely disagree with OP on removing captain SP for doff missions. There's no reason why a player shouldn't be able to level to cap mostly taking on doff missions if he/she so chooses. Maybe the SP gains need to be tuned down a bit since you can take on so many missions in a relatively short period of time and there are other rewards to most every mission. Ordering your officers to successfully complete tasks raises your profile as an effective captain, so why shouldn't it give you captain SP?
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_dorgeans View Post
The difference between the new DOFF system's viability past the point cap vs. the old Diplomacy model is obvious: it's a repeatable buff and reward system. The tiers themselves aren't the most important thing about the system as rewards go; it's the BOFFs, dilithium, gear, buffs, etc. that anyone can do long after they've maxed out the tiers in everything.
By the time you have maxed out the tiers you'll most likely be a VA, have all purple gear and all lthe Boffs you need. You'll do the dailies for a 1000 dilithium or so a time and the buffs only infrequently appear in assignments. Most people need goals and targets to aim for so they are motivated and feel they are progressing.

The very nature of MMO's is character progression, they need to put something in place to encourage players to continue using the system when they have maxed out the tiers. How about a method for turning the excess exp earned into tokens for use at a vendor for unique rewards and to buy more Doffs from Ferra? A unique Science Boff for 30000 medical exp, a new uniform for 10000 diplomacy exp etc would keep players interested and rewarded for using the system.

I love the Doff system and i don't want it to be reduced to a system of just swapping out duty officers for buffs (about as interesting as swapping out weapons and consoles) for specific missions, just because there is no more progression within the system
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
This is a test server, and we are iterating very rapidly and will continue to change as fast as we are able to receive and process information from the playerbase. We deeply appreciate that players are taking their time to test these issues even knowing that it is temporary and there will inevitably - as function of it being a test server - be many disruptions and little compensation able to be done for bugs.
^^^THIS QFT^^^

People need to get off the negativity and provide CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Cripes...I have played a few MMOs in my time, and Cryptic has been among one of the better Devs that honestly want player feedback and actually act on it. Sometimes I dont agree...sometimes I do with the changes made.. .but you cant make everyone happy all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
People shouldnt get so hung up on what happens after you cap doffs. Its really no big deal to actively want doffs to turn from fun into a boring grind.

Alot of ideas are on the table already about extending the Doff system to working Post Admiral Promotion where you can get Captain Doffs and manage a fleet using the system.

Which im sure will come to frutation in the future, so its silly to harp on the now, and ruin a good idea because of fear of the future.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-17-2011, 05:13 PM
So far with the Duty Officer system, I have managed to go from LtCom2 to Commander 2 without actually doing any missions, just logging in daily and queueing up 1day+ assignments.

This rate feels a bit too fast. I do understand it slows down though going through Commander, so perhaps a change to make the xp reward based on your captain's skill level, instead of a fixed rate reward?

With mine, I see a lot of Diplomacy missions crop up. I do realize that this is partially due to my preference for the Long Day missions, however I would like to see more Long Day missions for the other categories crop up.

When claiming a cadet pack, I'd like to see what I got immediately [and only what I got]. I don't like digging through my roster trying to match up names to find out if I got anything good.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Is it just me or Trade and Egineering assignments generaly give so few cxp ? Engineering even more than Trade.
Sure, there are some assignments that give like 50-100 cxp, but these are very rare...

And if the diplomacy tier is changed to be like the others, in terms of necessary cxp for a new tier, then the assignments need to give more cxp as well, because as it stands, i think i never got a diplomacy assignment that gave me 100 cxp. The normal ammount is between 8 and 15, with a very few awarding 34 cxp. Not the mention the long period of time for each assignment (20 hours or more)

And indeed, the captain xp reward is kinda big. I leveled from Captain 1 to VA in a few days, without doing anything besides DoFF assignments. Every day i got at least 2 levels.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_dorgeans View Post
Now, should players be able to skip story-driven content and quick-level to the endgame?
Yes. And I will explain why.

The DOFF system can be another branch of gameplay one could deviate from if they've already been through the standard story missions. In Star Trek, you can bet your latinum that a good number of captains tried their very best to sit on their thumbs throughout the five year mission and simply issue out simple projects. It's the realistically 'boring' way officers rise up in ranks through simple paperwork or diplomatic missions. After all, not all of them could have the love of adventure like Kirk did. The DOFF system is far from boring, but that's one way a Starfleet Captain can gain experience.

I for one will roll out another toon just to see how far I can level up using the DOFF system alone. It doesn't detract from the initial gameplay, but actually enhances it. You yourself may not find it applicable to your gaming experience, but you can't say others can't as well.

And quick-leveling is a joke. I've never experienced such a slow grind waiting for missions to play out than the DOFF system. (Which is a good thing.) I can clear out the story missions in two weeks tops with no problem. The DOFF system is doing it's job already by keeping people preoccupied days on end with those long missions.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohwalter
Is it just me or Trade and Egineering assignments generaly give so few cxp ? Engineering even more than Trade.
Trade is lousy, especially since it's not awarding energy credits for commodities any more, but Engineering is worse. The engineering assignments almost always require stuff I don't have, such as contraband or a fabrication engineer. (As far as I can tell, you can only get a fabrication engineer by getting commendation levels in Engineering, which isn't going to happen.) I have yet to obtain a single piece of contraband. My KDF captain has yet to earn a single Engineering experience point, and my Federation captain isn't much better off.

Engineering is easily the worst, as far as I can tell. That's not meant to take anything away from the horrible Trade XP, but at least I can gain a few points of Trade XP here and there without going broke.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohwalter
Trade, Engineering, Science; I have no idea how anyone would ever cap these out. To be fair, if you pack your roster with nothing but scan missions, you can get about 10 CXP/h per slot out of science. That's not terrible, but other categories will level faster with a whole lot less work. And most of the time I don't think you could even keep all your slots filled with science missions, even if you had the crew for it. They only run 30 minutes, and I think you would be idle for at least 2h out of every roll if you were trying to do science only. And there are no long running missions at all, meaning your CXP/h goes to 0 30m after you log off.

I guess you could maybe level trade if you were doing nothing but that all the time; but you still have the same problem that you can only work on while you're logged in, and can't queue lower productivity missions for off hours. All these categories could use some mid and long duration missions in the 2 to 20h range, with some green and blue ones, similar to the other lines. I would also like if if there were sci missions that did not give samples but gave more CXP.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
.Finally, Diplomacy is going to be nuked from orbit and operated on to make it work on the same scale as the other commendation categories. We were trying to avoid this given the impact it has on Content's time and the likely bugs that are going to arise from this, but the conclusion we have come to is that it simply is necessary.
I think the only concern many current players would have is that during the translation to a new scale that those tha earned a specific diplomatic rank will retain that rank upon transfer. It is fine that a person at Dipl 2 now will have to wait longer to get to Dipl 3 and above, but a person already at a level above 1 should not be bounced back to level 1 because of the new scale is well above the old scale.