Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
First off, this thing is only tier 3, according to the C-store description.

Second, an Akira refit needs a torpedo power, not this 'point defense' thing.

Last but not least, I already have a point defense turret sitting in my bank already. It came with my preorder, and it is NOT worth a tactical console slot.

I sincerely hope there is a REAL Akira refit coming soon; after waiting all this time for my favourite ship in Star Trek to receive its due, this thing is a massive disappointment.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-14-2011, 06:26 AM
thats ok you got something close, i am still waitin for a proper steamrunner.... the zephyr is a piece of crap
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSExcalibur View Post
thats ok you got something close, i am still waitin for a proper steamrunner.... the zephyr is a piece of crap
Agreed...not even remotely close, or as good looking, as the real thing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschinengeist View Post
Last but not least, I already have a point defense turret sitting in my bank already. It came with my preorder, and it is NOT worth a tactical console slot.
If you put a joke like that in the middle of your argument, it might sabotage your point by making people think you're joking in the rest of your post, too.

You are joking about comparing those two consoles, right?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Do you mean refit or retrofit? As there is a difference with the ships. Retrofit usually means a complete "overhaul" and those are usually the ships at VA.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Just to clarify - it's a universal console. Mine is in a science slot.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I was not joking about the console; it is completely out-of-place on an Akira, and is equally pointless, in my opinion. The reason being, my Akira already has its science slot filled with the Borg weapon power module, and I am not about to give up an engineering or tactical console up for a defense module that does something my beam weapons can already do. Thus, useless to me.

As for it being the same as the turret I have, I'll put it this way: the C-store description leads me to believe it is identical in purpose, if not action. I could be wrong about this, of course, and it probably is a little different...but again, this is an Akira; point defense and phasers are not what it's famous for.

Refit, retrofit, whatever you want to call it...the community was VERY clear about what we wanted, and that was a VA Akira.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-15-2011, 12:04 AM
As I understand it the Akira Point Defense Console is notably better than the Pre-order one.

The description I've read has it as something that will hit everything within 5km of you, doing 10x damage to fighters, and 3x damage to frigates.

And to be honest, the Akira isn't actually famous for anything except being ripped off to become the NX-01. It was on screen a grand total of 15 times across all of DS9, VOY, and First Contact. The guy who designed it mentioned that when he was doing so he was imagining it being a carrier and torpedo boat. And the fans have locked onto that. But we've never seen it launching fighters on screen, or an inordinate amount of torpedoes. And the closest thing we've got to a canon listing of it's combat capabilities (DS9:Tech Manual) lists it's weapons compliment as 6 phaser banks and 2 torpedoe launchers.

As to complaining about the Akira being only T3, the community was also very clear that we wanted a T5 Consitution refit, CBS said no. Just because it's something people want, that doesn't mean that it's something cryptic will/can do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
As I understand it the Akira Point Defense Console is notably better than the Pre-order one.

The description I've read has it as something that will hit everything within 5km of you, doing 10x damage to fighters, and 3x damage to frigates.

And to be honest, the Akira isn't actually famous for anything except being ripped off to become the NX-01. It was on screen a grand total of 15 times across all of DS9, VOY, and First Contact. The guy who designed it mentioned that when he was doing so he was imagining it being a carrier and torpedo boat. And the fans have locked onto that. But we've never seen it launching fighters on screen, or an inordinate amount of torpedoes. And the closest thing we've got to a canon listing of it's combat capabilities (DS9:Tech Manual) lists it's weapons compliment as 6 phaser banks and 2 torpedoe launchers.

As to complaining about the Akira being only T3, the community was also very clear that we wanted a T5 Consitution refit, CBS said no. Just because it's something people want, that doesn't mean that it's something cryptic will/can do.
The Akira has fired more torpedoes in a short period of time than any other Starfleet ship on the screen; it also clearly demonstrated at least 7 frontal tubes. There was an entire thread in which this was discussed and proven, but I really don't feel like digging it up right now. So, no, this was not just something the fans latched on to. I also never claimed it to be a fighter carrier; that much is plainly a bold claim by the artist who designed it, since hardly any fighters would fit inside of it, and most of the saucer would have to be hollowed-out to handle those few (it was also never shown to do this on screen, which is what counts for canon in Star Trek). As for those "two torpedo launchers", ok...two launchers with at least seven tubes (four from under the saucer, and three on the rollbar, according to the film).

As for the T5 Constitution people wanted, the Constitution hasn't been manufactured for what, 200 years or so, in the game's timeframe? The Akira was in service/being produced less than 100 years prior. It is a newer design than the Excelsior and Galaxy, and a contemporary of the Defiant and Intrepid, all of which are available as VA ships. There also was not a statement regarding CBS canning the idea, as far as i have seen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-15-2011, 03:07 AM
The console on the Akira refit is part of a 800 point package, while the point defense turret is a console that comes as an occasional freebie or 120 points or some other pittance that fits in the 'stuff people buy with their leftover credits' section of the store. If the Akira's console was as impotent as the point defense turret console, you'd be hearing the people who actually have it whining about it.

As to the Akira itself, it was designed to be a 'carrier/gunship' with 15 torpedo tubes. I'd love to see Cryptic turn the Akira into a T5.5 ship with enough slots for 15 torpedoes and 3 hangar bays like the designer intended. Then we could all have a good whine about f2p and p2w and slap cryptic on the wrists for poor game balance.