Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 91
10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
all the big arrays and small arrays have the same emitter type, but emitters are just small under the surface capacitors and prefire chambers that are daisy chained together to form arrays of varying length. the longer the array, the more emitters it has daisy chained together.

each emitter holds its own charge, and a portion or all of the emitters in an array can contributes energy into each phaser blast. the moving energy glow effect you see in the shows is each emitter's energy gathering to the firing point of the array. that's why length equals output when it comes to phaser arrays. the smaller the array, the less emitters it has, the less powerful each shot potentially can be.

according to the technical manual, the largest array on a galaxy and nebula class has 200 emitters. that dorsal array is the larges array of any ship, canon or cryptic made by far. second place goes to the galaxy and nebula's ventral array. as far as i can tell, the akira's dorsal array is in third place with maybe 100 emitters, and the sovereign's dorsal is in 4th place. that's right, the much smaller heavy cruiser sovereign cant hit near as hard as a battleship galaxy, even if its emitter type is a bit more powerful. its biggest array has less then 100 emitters, being less then half the size of the galaxy's largest.
Thanks man, i couldn't have said it better.
Wouldn't be a more simulation style of game be wounderful?

OT: I would prefer if the Galaxy -R would get a Universal Console, since the class itself was build to be as adaptable as possible. (refering to the TNG manual and TNG itself, if i remember correctly.)

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 92
10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
Thanks man, i couldn't have said it better.
Wouldn't be a more simulation style of game be wounderful?

OT: I would prefer if the Galaxy -R would get a Universal Console, since the class itself was build to be as adaptable as possible. (refering to the TNG manual and TNG itself, if i remember correctly.)

Live long and prosper.
universal ensign across the line for the galaxy R, defient R, and Intrepid R would be good. who cares if its op, cryptic doesn't anymore, it fits in perfectly with the status quo.

they could totally simulate this stuff accurately with this game engine, i did in that old star trek legacy game, with similar space combat, though its hard to tell if you played that game stock. i modded it to death, i completely reprogrammed the ships, their weapons and their stats so they looked and felt canon, and i balanced everything on top of it. it can be done. the first link in my sig is to a thread i made with the beginning steps i would take if i could have a crack at this game engine. currently this game so poorly follows technical canon that im surprised cbs hasn't gotten after them about it. problem is i know more about trek fiction tech then anyone still working at cbs does, so all i can do is sound off about how unhappy i am about it on the forum, or move to california and apply.
Lt. Commander
# 93
10-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
all the big arrays and small arrays have the same emitter type, but emitters are just small under the surface capacitors and prefire chambers that are daisy chained together to form arrays of varying length. the longer the array, the more emitters it has daisy chained together.

each emitter holds its own charge, and a portion or all of the emitters in an array can contributes energy into each phaser blast. the moving energy glow effect you see in the shows is each emitter's energy gathering to the firing point of the array. that's why length equals output when it comes to phaser arrays. the smaller the array, the less emitters it has, the less powerful each shot potentially can be.

according to the technical manual, the largest array on a galaxy and nebula class has 200 emitters. that dorsal array is the larges array of any ship, canon or cryptic made by far. second place goes to the galaxy and nebula's ventral array. as far as i can tell, the akira's dorsal array is in third place with maybe 100 emitters, and the sovereign's dorsal is in 4th place. that's right, the much smaller heavy cruiser sovereign cant hit near as hard as a battleship galaxy, even if its emitter type is a bit more powerful. its biggest array has less then 100 emitters, being less then half the size of the galaxy's largest.
I'm probably going to regret this, but where are you getting this from? It's been many, many years, but I read the TNG Technical Manual from cover to cover multiple times and I never remember reading anything like that.
Lt. Commander
# 94
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley_Morton
I'm probably going to regret this, but where are you getting this from? It's been many, many years, but I read the TNG Technical Manual from cover to cover multiple times and I never remember reading anything like that.
quoted directly from the technical manual

Quote:
A typical large phaser array aboard the USS Enterprise, such as the upper dorsal array on the Saucer Module, consists of two hundred emitter segments in a dense linear arrangement for optimal control of firing order, thermal effects, field halos, and target impact.
-200 emitters in the largest dorsal array. when it says firing order, it means 'firing' its energy along the array until each emitters energy has reached the point of the array that fires.

Quote:
Groups of emitters are supplied by redundant sets of energy feeds from the primary trunks of the electro plasma system (EPS), and are similarly interconnected by fire control, thermal management, and sensor lines.
-so groups of emitters gets their own primary eps trunk that Ys out to power each of the emitters in a group. those smaller arrays in the aft section proboly have 1 EPS trunk ruining to them each, the smallest of arrays may be all 1 trunk can fully power. on a big 200 emitter array their might be trunks every 10 or so emitter, if those small arrays are any indication of the standard number of emitters per trunk ratio.

Quote:
The visible hull surface configuration of the phaser is a long shallow raised strip, the bulk of the hardware submerged within the vehicle frame. The first stage of the array segment is the EPS submaster flow regulator, the principal mechanism controlling phaser power levels for firing. The flow regulator leads into the plasma distribution manifold (PDM), which branches into two hundred supply conduits to an equal number of prefire chambers. The final stage of the system is the phaser emitter crystal.
-sounds like ever emitter is its own individual unit, and can operate independently and create its own beam with its own power, or can be part of a group of emitters that combine their energy to fire more powerful beams, thus the advantage of having emitters in a dense linear arrangement array configuration, as apposed to old style banks. aside from the pure firepower advantage, you can leveraging that firepower in almost 360 degrees, something the largest and most powerful disruptor cannons could only dream of.

that's what the technical manual says, that information combined with the moving glow effect we see in the shows is the source of my my explanation on phaser arrays.

i can only come to the conclusion that the more individually powered emitters involved in that glow, the more powerful the shot will be. there may even be something to how long it takes the glow to move across the array, or how thick the glow is, there's plenty of possible variables. but i am certain that the more emitters in a single array, the higher its potential beam output can be from that array.
Lt. Commander
# 95
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Is it not oldish by this games time? Certainly an agile and somewhat sturdy vessel but most likely no the hardest hitting in its class in 2409. The GalX dread in the top tiers maybe considering ( I think) it was form an alternite future timeline?
its quite likely to stay the federations top battleship for at least 60 years, ignoring the not officially real galaxy X, the ambassador class was top battleship for around 50 i think. the galaxy class will proboly be in service for 100-150 years, at least as long as the excelsior. its extremely large, extremely modular inside and extremely upgradeable.

the problem with the ambassador is that it will need major work to improve its firepower, its a very large ship but with its short arrays its only got the phaser firepower of a light cruiser, even with the newest emitter type. that's 1 problem the galaxy wont have 100 years from now, predictable technological advances wont leave the galaxy class behind. the ambassador class would need its saucer section rebuilt to extend or connect its phaser arrays, a major undertaking. in its prime im sure it was unmatched in size and firepower in the alpha quadrant, but by the time the galaxy and nebula were introduced there were newer and much smaller ships with much longer arrays. the cost of operating such a large ship, that by modern standards is toothless, is why it seems like its being phased out. it seems like a waste, if they went to the trouble of connecting its arrays it would have firepower proportional to its size, and be a formidable small battleship/battlecruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 96
10-26-2011, 03:06 PM
well assuming a new tribble patch is due out soon, i'd just like to bump this yet again to remind the devs that one of their premium pay for ships is in desperate need of love. all the premium pay for ships got a big console buff recently, and the worst premium pay for ships, galaxy R, got a smaller buff then all the rest, leaving it farther behind so to speak.

giving it a 3rd tactical console instead would buff it to the same degree as all the other premium pay for ships, and there is precedent for it in canon, ive made several posts explaining how truly powerful your basic galaxy class should be.

so there you have it. just fighting the good fight for my favorite ship that legitimately is the worst tier 5 cruiser at everything in game right now. would really appreciate it at least being competent at 1 thing or another.
Lt. Commander
# 97
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
another week of imbalance, another bump
Lt. Commander
# 98
10-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
well assuming a new tribble patch is due out soon, i'd just like to bump this yet again to remind the devs that one of their premium pay for ships is in desperate need of love. all the premium pay for ships got a big console buff recently, and the worst premium pay for ships, galaxy R, got a smaller buff then all the rest, leaving it farther behind so to speak.
Hey at least it got buffed.

One ship got directly nerfed. *cough* Excelsior *cough*
Lt. Commander
# 99
10-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Hey at least it got buffed.

One ship got directly nerfed. *cough* Excelsior *cough*
its still the best damage dealer cruiser, and its 'nerfs' don't even effect its in combat abilities. in combat, you get a slight energy boosting console that if you don't want to use you have to 'go to the trouble' of swamping in and out when you want to use transwarp. still dont know what people are complaining about regarding that ship
Lt. Commander
# 100
11-01-2011, 02:33 AM
HA. well according to this all the excelsior complaining payed off i guess, its just going to go back to the way it was on holodeck.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=474

there wasn't even anything legitimate to complain about, other then losing an out of combat transwarp location or 3, and then having to go to the trouble of swapping consoles in order to use them.

well at the very least that gives me hope they will make other ship changes, legitimate, needed ones this time.
Closed Thread