Lt. Commander
# 31
05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I have a few questions that I cant exactly figure out and I want to be as accurate as possible on testing.

1) Under the settings window under the combat settings, there are three windows titled Attack Vectors, Combat maneuvers, and Battle Strategy. I currently have 8 listed under here as the help you enter your maneuvers skill for your captain. But when I get down to the Power Settings, since my charater is a tactical officer I dont see any windows under skills for Warp Core Training, Weapons Efficiency, or Weapon performance. Do I just simply put 0 under these fields?

2) Under equipment Bonuses I have consoles that dont give a number but a percentage. Am I supposed to figure up the percentages to add to this or omit those and use just those with clear set numbers?

3) My final question is on the Projectile Weapon Skills section, It basically lists Tricobalt Projectiles but I am using a Tricobalt mine, do I use the projectile in this case or just leave it blank?

These might have been answered before but I am still messing with this program and hate to spend half a day scanning through the rest of the topic for answers that might not have even been given. Thanks in advance.

-Update-
Well apparently when I removed the CrtD and CrtH out from under Weapons Mods, my Combat settings to the right became closer to what it says in game. The only thing thats still high is the Critical Chance which is saying 4.44% and the game says its only 2.5%. Maybe its cause I have a 10% bonus that is causing the rise from 2.5% to 4.44% on Critical CHance. The thing that doesnt make sense is the weapons DPS does not match up and I just cant find out why. The Tricobalt Mine Launcher tells me it should do 17,573 damage but its only doing 16,785 damage and its a CrtH, CrtD, Borg mine launcher. My forward dual plasma beam bank is claiming 339 DPS but its only showing up as 224 DPS.

I know I must have something not entered right and I have re-read the help multiple times even hovered over the fields and cant find where I have anything listed wrong. I just have 0 listed under equipment bonuses and I have weapon as well as shield and engine bonuses and the DPS in the calculator is reading higher than my real load out is saying it is.

-Update2-
Moving from DS9 to the space just outside of DS9 (not sector space) the numbers changed some so my plasma dual beam arrays are coming up as 280 DPS but its still short of the 347 DPS the calculator is stating. Still playing with it till I figure it out.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-07-2012, 12:20 AM
The advance settings is currently out of date. It's on my list of things to update, but I've just been very busy in real life lately. I'm going to try to make it a priority to fix things there soon, but I don't know how soon that will actually be.

For now I'd just recommend ignoring the advanced settings and using the relative DPS comparison. That should allow you to get a sense of what your weapon damage will be with various weapons, even if it doesn't give exact figures.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The advance settings is currently out of date. It's on my list of things to update, but I've just been very busy in real life lately. I'm going to try to make it a priority to fix things there soon, but I don't know how soon that will actually be.

For now I'd just recommend ignoring the advanced settings and using the relative DPS comparison. That should allow you to get a sense of what your weapon damage will be with various weapons, even if it doesn't give exact figures.
I hope you're not using a Cryptic Soon (TM) and violating a trademark here?!

I am looking forwad to when you start making these tests and find a few new bugs in STO.
Career Officer
# 34
06-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Is there already a new version of this thread out there?
Survivor of Romulus
# 35
07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
This is very useful.
Lieutenant
# 36
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Great calculator! Love to see the base DHC/DC debate settled, at least for the vast majority of cases.

One thing I'd like to see added, which hopefully would be relatively easy, is the [Borg] weapon mod. That one feels like it should throw more of a wrench once more into the DC/DHC balance. Most people seem to anecdotally disagree, feeling that DHC are still superior, though no one has data beyond "my combat parser says." It's an odd duck, as it basically adds +25 damage per bolt/beam pulse (2.5% chance of 1000 damage), regardless of power setting, weapon type, etc. Weapons with a higher rate of fire therefore benefit more, and it has a bigger proportional effect at lower weapon power levels.

Happy Trekking
Ensign
# 37
08-02-2012, 06:59 AM
I just started less then 2 days ago thanks for this prog I see many ways its going to help already
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
You may be able to do some kind of testing yourself. Try one STF with all DHC's and another with all DC's. Perhaps with only using regular non-borg turrets for good measure.

If you use STOICS, you can see the damage that you did as well as what did that damage. Separable by weapon type. You would add the damage done by your cannons and the damage from the Borg Proc which shows as "Chaotic Particle Stream". I just need a good test map in the foundry to do this.
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Introducing The Starship WeaponsCalculator

The Starship Weapons Calculator is based on my previous Weapon Scaling Tests. After many hours of testing, I have finally amassed enough data to create a simple tool for calculating the DPS of various weapon combinations.

With this program you can enter any combination of weapons, and the calculator will determine the firing arcs relevant to your build, and the relative DPS of each one. In addition, you can compare two builds to one another, see the impact of activating certain weapon skills, and even view a graph of your DPS results. Screenshot of the Starship Weapons Calculator in action.

About The Calculator
Initially I intended to create a simple spreadsheet to serve as the calculator, similar to PatricianVetinari's Ship Power Level Calculator, however it turned out that spreadsheet programs lacked the necessary complexity to achieve my vision. As a result I turned to Visual Basic 6.0 to create the calculator, since I had some limited Basic programming knowledge and an old copy of Visual Basic that had been given to me by a friend. Since I'm a self taught Basic programmer, some of the code probably isn't optimal, but it's good enough to get the job done for this simple program.

The current version of the calculator is 4.0. Please let me know if you find any bugs, or have any complaints about the user interface. Once I gather some feedback I will release a full version, although the current beta should be fully functional in every important way.

How Does The Calculator Work?
It would simply be impossible to test every possible combination of weapons, so the calculator is only made possible by the fact that I discovered you could get very accurate figures by averaging different weapon tests together. In a nutshell that is how the calculator derives different build results.

How Accurate Is The Calculator?
Considering all of the intricacies of the combat system I was initially skeptical that this approach would work, but the calculator is actually quite accurate. In most cases the difference between the calculated DPS output and the actual in-game DPS is less than 1%.

That slight difference can be explained by the fact that in any given test run there is some margin of error. It's even possible to tell from looking at my scaling charts that some of the results are not 100% exact (some of the curves aren't completely smooth). But, at some point you have to say "this is good enough". I'm sure that with a lot more testing I could reduce the margin of error further, but for almost everyone's purposes, the current accuracy should be more than sufficient.

Understanding Relative DPS
By default, the calculator measures DPS results in what I have dubbed "Relative DPS". Basically what this means is that the damage from all weapons is measured against that of a single Beam Array at 100 weapon power, which is set to 100 DPS. If a weapon/power combination does five times as much damage as said Beam Array, then the DPS figure will be 500. If a weapon/power combination does half as much damage, then its DPS will be 50, and so on.

The reason for using Relative DPS is so that the results are general enough to be used easily at every tier and every skill level, with a minimum of input from the user. The calculator is capable of figuring your actual damage output, but in order to get an accurate result you need to enter your exact skill and console bonuses. Using Relative DPS avoids this hassle, because the calculator can simply tell you how specific builds stack up against one another when all things are equal (including skill level, consoles and weapon marks).

For an easy comparison, I recommend sticking to Relative DPS. But, for those who want results that most accurately reflect in-game damage, you may fully customize the program's parameters in the Advanced Settings.

Using The Calculator
The calculator should be fairly intuitive to use, but if you have any questions, please read the included documentation, which you can access from the About window (accessible from the extended options), or by opening the ReadMe located in the program's folder, and also available online at this link.

Downloading The Calculator
Starship Weapons Calculator Download Page
thats nice and all but why does it not ask for weapon mks? that is huge, also what type? phaser? antiproton?
Lieutenant
# 40
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello,

Great work, one question the current version is still valid nowadays?

Kind Regards