Lt. Commander
# 1 community gentlemens agreement
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
i do think that if the entire community wants to make a "gentlemens" agreement for use in the que"s (and possiblly premade matches) then we need to take a couple months, allow the actual use of skills that used to be banned (like faw/mines/ss/and whatever else needs to be controlled) basically let all the builds get cycled through again to see whats what and go from there. this realistically will take a couple months. but heres the kicker, it would require teams/people to not complain things are op'd until the first round of "talks" happens. this would also need to be advertised on the opvp chat channel and in every match people are taking part in.

if this can be done we can realistically find out the balance of the skills and how they interact with each other in this "new day/age" of some skills having been changed recently.

whos for this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-09-2011, 04:49 PM
as i have sworn off whatever the opvp crowd has frowned upon for the majority and would never give up any console on a cruiser for that cstore bs (example) i do not think this is even achieveable.

im afraid most folks are thinking its gloves are off for this round.

-have fun kill bad guys.

-horizon

musing: i played for 5 hours today, got scrambled thrice. thats way better than average lately.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Heres a constructive idea to help move us as a community forward. Though Im not sure if its a fun idea...

Are you saying that the community should feel free to use whatever they want for the next month, no matter how broken it is? Not sure how fun a month of scramblefest3 will be or that we need to prove how broken it really is.

If its for the good of pvp, I'm down to try it. I've ran scramble free for months, but if it's going to be deemed non-cheesy to use, it will be interesting to try again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Guess I need to make sure the machinegun is up to par.

I really don't see why we would need to run 'all out' with things like scramble 3 and mine spam again to know something's borked.

I mean really, who was saying that scramble 3+ so many pets on the field that it lags the UI (which is already lag prone) even further, is fine?

Heck I've one shot people through their shields as a tac with TS1. (I suspect that was the uppermost range of TS1's realistic damage capability as well) But if we want to run all out, I guess I should run Double Barrel Style till my sub runs out this month.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-09-2011, 07:48 PM
im not saying that everyone needs to run with all mines and ss3, im saying that things like. a mine launcher here/there faw, pengs etc need to be taken another look at. and then when scramble sensors has its stuff changed (whenever that is) it needs to be looked at again to see how it stands.

everyone says mine spam sucks, and everyone says not to use faw... im asking, WHY is this still the case? fire at will was adjusted again, does it not clear mines like it should? if not, how should it, why isnt it being allowed if it sucks as a skill.

torp spread i understand is supposed to be an actual dmg calculation error/unintended thing so that makes sense to me why it shouldnt be allowed. but i dont understand why faw and a mine launcher or 2 isnt. pengs too, i thought they got a fixing so why are they still frowned upon?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
[...]
everyone says mine spam sucks, and everyone says not to use faw... im asking, WHY is this still the case? fire at will was adjusted again, does it not clear mines like it should? if not, how should it, why isnt it being allowed if it sucks as a skill.
[...]
I thought the issue with FaW is that it can still hit cloaked ships or did I miss something?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Then no Mines and FAW in FvK matches perhaps as a rule? Now, maybe this wil lcause the Galaxy-X and Defiant-R users to complain ,but I think this issue primarily affects Battlecloaking and Enhanced Battlecloaking ships.

As a Defiant-R pilot myself, I can't say I had that negative experience with this particular effect.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout23 View Post
Are you saying that the community should feel free to use whatever they want for the next month, no matter how broken it is? Not sure how fun a month of scramblefest3 will be or that we need to prove how broken it really is.
No, I don't think matteo means to encourage use of SS3. But as he said - are pengs really still ban-worthy? Is it really a good idea to avoid FAW at all costs, which leads to teams with just a single mine launcher being called spammers? And is a SS2 scramblefest really clean play?

There is disagreement over which abilities should be restricted for optimal fun and so a process towards some general guidelines requires broad input from the community and some testing of abilities that have been out of widespread use and may be acceptable now (like pengs, faw and all of the stuff that is restricted only as a consequence of the faw restriction).
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I hear you mancom. Personally, its SS and AMS that are my pet peeves due to how broken they are. I could care less about anything else. I think abilities that are actually "broken" are what we need to be looking at. SS, AMS and TS mechanics right now are "broken". FAW is not something i worry about any more, but if it indeed is hitting cloaked ships, I suppose that constitutes being broken. Mines work as intended and are a good TS and FAW sponge, but if FAW and TS are broken and shouldnt be used, the mines shouldnt either. Its a giant mess, and the saddest part is we have to try to fix it with a "gentlemans" agreement that we all know not e1 will stick to (history already has shown us this) instead of the devs fixing these broken abilities. I hope you dont misunderstand me. I really appreciate you guys trying to make positive change in the community, and I'll continue to refrain from using what the community as a whole agrees hurts us the pvp community. Like matteo said in another post though, its just frustrating sometimes running a "clean" build when theres no way to hold other accountable when theyre running broken ones.

Would love to hear a devs thoughts on this...
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Well such a "gentleman agreement" will never work since there will be always players who either dont know of it or, worst, IF they now of it enjoy using the broken abilitys since they give him an advantadge towards those who ronounce them.

Wont work... unless we just go for private matches.
Or... (that would be an funny picture but I believe it wont happen), others in the team of that certain players just abbandon them, hold back and let the enemy team eat them up...