Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
it's on the refit (VA) if you have not seen it =]

it's pretty much useless, at least compared to what it should do... all it does is make you ALMOST invulnrable for like 10 seconds, during this time you canot return fire.
Oh, lol

I only fly cruisers so don't really know what's going on with the other class of ships :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Well since sto is way past admiral janeway's time and we are fighting against the Borg it makes sense that we have this on the ships since it was invented to fight against and defend the ship against the Borg. The devs could have it set that we can only use it against the borg and now other race in the game?
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-15-2011, 04:51 AM
According to the books when Voyager returned to Earth all the future tech was removed because of the Temporal Prime Directive (even though they end up using the anti-borg torpedoes during the Borg Invasion of 2381) and most of the Borg tech (I think for study). It was either that or because they couldn't mass produce the armor tech. I don't remember, its been a while since I read that one.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-15-2011, 06:24 AM
I like to think that aspects of the armor made it into the current starfleet ship lineup. That would be a good reason why 5 ships can tackle a Borg command ship several kilometers long.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
Temporal what's their name could have taken it away so as not to pollute the timeline[/flimsy answer]
Cause Voyager making it back to Earth years ahead of when it should have, and dealing a major blow to the Borg while doing so, wasn't enough to pollute the timeline, but that armor was? :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
Cause Voyager making it back to Earth years ahead of when it should have, and dealing a major blow to the Borg while doing so, wasn't enough to pollute the timeline, but that armor was? :p
There are things Temporal Investigations can change after the fact, others they cannot.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-15-2011, 08:03 AM
It was allready said the in the episode by the queen herself that the borg had adapted to it, so that would explain why its almost useless now
In sto its really meant for getting away from a fight rather than tanking as it did in voyager
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc
That was largely due to Admiral Janeway, who I'm sure would have stood trial if she hadn't died.

It always bugged me that we never saw the Maquis called into question. I'm firmly in the camp who thinks Voyager should have gotten home at the beginning of the last season and that a season where we dealt with the adjustments they would have had to make on return would have been good.

Y'Know... Maybe Admiral Paris dies or gets countermanded by a rival who insists on the Maquis standing trial, maybe especially to make a point to the new allies among the Cardassians, Seska's family could show up, Janeway's judgment could have fallen under scrutiny, the Doctor's right to his armband could have fallen into question, Neelix could have been kidnapped and interrogated by Section 31. They could have really played with the idea that the journey "home" doesn't stop with reaching Earth.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
it has been 30 years or something since Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant...Why isnt it standard equipment on all the STO ships. just as thought?
The armor was developed to fight the Borg and they adapted to it quickly enough.

Thank you Janeway for being such a moron in letting them SCAN the armor and get away. It's not like you have encountered a situation where preventing the Borg from getting access to information can prevent them from adapting. Oh wait... thats how the Borg couldnt assimilate S8472.

Regardless of the repeated incompetencies of the Voyager crew the armor is largely useless.
You cant fire through it without opening up the armor - exposing your weapon locations
You cant use shields through it - The armor covers the emitters
The armor would increase the mass of the ship considerably which would reduce manuverability and speed, especially if the engines get coated in armor as well.

The ablative armor seemingly requires an active component to function. I.E All those big chunks of armor need to be turned on like a shield and maintained. If it fails you have effectively encased the ship in a self-made tomb.

End Result: The armor is highly inefficient. The only reason it has any value in Endgame is because it is obviously made from super materials in the future.

Logic would dictate replicating those materials and simply building it into EXISTING armor plating on ships would be largely more sensible then build your weapons, shield emitters and engines externally..

TADA... you have a ship that can have all the benefits of super armor while still being able to operate normally. Welcome to Star Trek Online where a single Miranda can engage a Borg cube from the start of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-15-2011, 09:37 AM
it could be standard issue....and it sure seemed to last MUCH longer then 10 seconds in the show.........meh