Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
10-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I never understood how the borg could just scan/adapt to anything.....and yet they needed the humans to invent a technology to defeat the guys they ****ed off in fluidic space.......what is adaption if not observing the problem and devising a way of bypassing the problem? They couldn't have come across a technology to bypass a technology they had yet to see anything similar too....it was from the future.

sometimes the borg just make zero sense.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
it has been 30 years or something since Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant...Why isnt it standard equipment on all the STO ships. just as thought?
I asked Craig Zinc. a few years ago before STO was launched about this, and I said that maybe it should be high-end, end-level equipment. He told me it was a great idea then it only ended up on the sci refit.

Also to note it's sad to see transphasic weps being useless when they should be the top wep during this time
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
it has been 30 years or something since Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant...Why isnt it standard equipment on all the STO ships. just as thought?
It's of only really limited use. That use being as defense versus the Borg. (Not speaking in game terms) You couldn't run them all of the time. There is one thing the every space ship has to deal with is waste heat. Every system aboard a ship generate heat. Even the crew generate waste heat. Tha extra heats heas to be gotten rid of. Ship Life Support Systems would deal with the waste heat using some of by recalming system from it. But technology not being 100% efficient, the remaining waste heat has to be gotten rid of. In space that means using radiators

With the Ablative Armor depolyed, those heat radiators are now covered meaning they can''t get rid of waste heat. Now the ship does have a certain amount of heat sink capacity, but eventually that will be exhausted and then the waste heat will begin to build up internally on the ship. The ship's systems and crew will slowly start to roast a the temperate builds and builds. Not a pretty picture.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
I never understood how the borg could just scan/adapt to anything.....and yet they needed the humans to invent a technology to defeat the guys they ****ed off in fluidic space.......what is adaption if not observing the problem and devising a way of bypassing the problem? They couldn't have come across a technology to bypass a technology they had yet to see anything similar too....it was from the future.

sometimes the borg just make zero sense.
the script demanded it i
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-15-2011, 10:18 AM
To me Starfleet wouldn't use the Ablative Hull Generator given that the Borg adapted to it, but I could see the knowledge allowing them to increase the strength of existing Ablative Hull Armor to be more resilient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
The armor was developed to fight the Borg and they adapted to it quickly enough.

Thank you Janeway for being such a moron in letting them SCAN the armor and get away. It's not like you have encountered a situation where preventing the Borg from getting access to information can prevent them from adapting. Oh wait... thats how the Borg couldnt assimilate S8472.
The Borg didn't adapt due to the scanning, they adapted to it when the Queen assimilated Admiral Janeway and gained the information.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furlong284 View Post
I like to think that aspects of the armor made it into the current starfleet ship lineup. That would be a good reason why 5 ships can tackle a Borg command ship several kilometers long.
Another aspect of the Armor Generator being studied would how to counteract it. Because the technology will either be stolen or someone else with develop it. Starfleet would; definitely want a way to neutralize or penetrate the armor.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
It's of only really limited use. That use being as defense versus the Borg. (Not speaking in game terms) You couldn't run them all of the time. There is one thing the every space ship has to deal with is waste heat. Every system aboard a ship generate heat. Even the crew generate waste heat. Tha extra heats heas to be gotten rid of. Ship Life Support Systems would deal with the waste heat using some of by recalming system from it. But technology not being 100% efficient, the remaining waste heat has to be gotten rid of. In space that means using radiators

With the Ablative Armor depolyed, those heat radiators are now covered meaning they can''t get rid of waste heat. Now the ship does have a certain amount of heat sink capacity, but eventually that will be exhausted and then the waste heat will begin to build up internally on the ship. The ship's systems and crew will slowly start to roast a the temperate builds and builds. Not a pretty picture.
WHAT! proof please
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Reminds me of the tech behind the Normandy's stealth systems in Mass Effect. This makes sense to me, but knowing how Trek is often written, I'm sure there's a technobabble saving throw somewhere that works around the heat problem. We can't have too much science in our science fiction, after all. And Voyager in particular had an annoying habit of ignoring the limits imposed by its own own premise.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
The Borg didn't adapt due to the scanning, they adapted to it when the Queen assimilated Admiral Janeway and gained the information.
Absolute BS.
You didnt notice the Borg attacked Voyager, did little damage then heavily scanned her ?
THEN they started attacking again and all of a sudden their attacks are doing more damage

That is the very definition and example of the Borg adapting to the armor directly from those scans. As such, Janeway remains an incompetent moron due to pausing for dramatic effect rather than obliterating the cubes on sight.

Assimilating the Admiral would further accelerate that adaption AND allow the Borg to REPLICATE it for themselves since she claims to have designed all this anti-Borg tech. By all rights, the Borg should be surprise slamming Federation ships with Transphasic Torpedoes using Stealth Technology and being completely covered with Borgified Ablative Armor.

Again: Great plan to get yourself assimilated Admiral Janeway. I'm sure all the species of the Delta Quadrant want to bid you a fond thank you for screwing them so you can get 25 people home safely.

As it happens the Ablative armor is worthless, Transphasics are equally worthless and the Stealth Technology was 'incompatible' with Federation systems, another example of Janeway being an idiot for bringing back technology that dosent work.

Personnally, it is my belief the Ablative Armor is actually Borg technology to begin with, the Borg have been seen to literaly mass shift their hull to fill holes like in Q,Who.
As for Transphasic Torpedoes, from their performance I would see them being far more likely to be ARMOR penetrators against things like the Tactical Cubes or... ABLATIVE ARMOR generators.

Since the Borg originally did not use shields and have hefty amounts of armor on their cubes. Starfleet would be far more sensible in using weapons that will punch through that armor to cripple the internal workings of Borg ships... which is effectively what Endgame would demonstrate they do.

Regardless, Cryptic have run with the idea these torpedoes penetrate shields and the current game system dosent have a three tier defence like Mass Effect 2.
I.E Shields, Armor, Hull

Energy Weapons > Shields
Torpedos > Armor
Anything > Hull

Transphasic Torpedoes would have a chance of bypassing the Armor and directly crippling the hull. However, this isnt the case and this is nothing more than pointless debating over something Cryptic once again botched in implementation.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
I agree.... like all ships should be able to target sub systems like science ships can.