Lt. Commander
# 11
11-05-2011, 03:35 AM
Yes, link away. Again, really enjoyed your mission.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Added Episode 6, our review of "The City of Polmar Ree" by alimac30. One of our best reviewed missions yet.

See the episode here!

Let us know about any feedback you might have.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Added Episode 6, our review of "The City of Polmar Ree" by alimac30. One of our best reviewed missions yet.

See the episode here!

Let us know about any feedback you might have.
Hey Rogue and Dennis,

Thanks for the great review! I really appreciate it

Just two bits of feedback from me as the author:

1) Some of the details are indeed very easy to find, but during the later stages of development of this mission I was getting concerned that it was way too wordy. The main puzzle (gathering information from people inside the city and then bluffing your way through dialogue with Klingon General B'neJ) is totally based on dialogue (a symptom of the fact that I spent the past 4 months working in Word writing dialogue all the times I couldn't work in the Foundry while it was offline and/or severely bugged). I was worried it was just too much dialogue. So I simplified it just prior to publishing, and highlighted some things to make them easier to find. The majority of players seem to think it's now pitched at the right level, although I do still get some reviews in-game complaining that information is buried and that it took the player 7 or 8 attempts to correctly navigate through the options in the General B'neJ dialogue.... so, as usual, it's impossible to please everyone!

2) I really wanted to tell this story of the ancient, powerful, extra-galactic race who give away advanced technology without any kind of non-intervention policy, because I thought it was a great idea and a good moral dilemma. I wrestled for a few months about whether or not it could fit into the established canon, and ultimately I decided it could! We have only ever visited the Polmar Ree once before, and that was 216 years ago... which is a long time ago - way before TNG/DS9/VOY and even way before TOS. So all the technology you saw in TOS and later series could have come from (or been influenced by) the Polmar Ree. As for why nobody ever mentioned the Polmar Ree on screen, well - how often do you in every day conversation talk about things that happened 216 years ago? Things that happened at the end of the 1700s? Not often, if ever, I'd imagine. So I figured it was OK to write this mission without violating the Trek canon

Thanks again for a great review guys!

(Sorry I wasn't in the chatroom as it was broadcast. I'm on vacation at the moment in Toronto and the hotel wi-fi just couldn't handle the live stream. I tried during the pre-show, but didn't manage to stay online very long. Booooo.)

Cheers,
Ali
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Added episode 7, our review of "Locally Untranslated" by ogremerc!

See the review here!
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Thanks for taking the time out to play and review 'Locally Untranslated', its much appreciated.

This was indeed my first mission on the Foundry and was something of a crash course in how to put a mission together, to say nothing of the Foundry's interesting little...nuances during creation, some of which had me tearing my hair out in places and cursing myself for not finding easier solutions for events, etc.

Here's a little inside info that might make you chuckle. To begin with, I had no idea there were invisible object assets you could use for triggers and interactions. So every Interact prompt in 'Locally Untranslated' which is not linked to a scenery object is actually keyed to multiple tribbles being buried in the floor at -3 Y axis. On certain initial playthroughs they would sometimes emerge through the scenery like a pathetic furry Jaws parody.

I've had something of an education playing some of my fellow Foundry users missions and I now have a far better appreciation for the effort that goes into making your own missions, especially with triggers, scenery and the like.

I freely admit I still don't have much of an idea where to pitch the difficulty of enemy encounters so they are fun and challenging. I try to make my missions available to all levels, but obviously this means if I want to use higher level enemy npcs (or the appearance of same) I have to re-skin the lower tier (Gorn, Klingons) which leads to some incongruous effects, like Borgs whipping out Bat'leths and waving disruptors around, things like that. However I've seen other users pull of the same thing with style so there must be ways and means.

Still something of a learning curve.

Thanks again,

-Ogremerc
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Added Episode 8, our review of "From the Stars...Life" by Magellan_Lin!

See our review here!
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogremerc
Thanks for taking the time out to play and review 'Locally Untranslated', its much appreciated.

Here's a little inside info that might make you chuckle. To begin with, I had no idea there were invisible object assets you could use for triggers and interactions. So every Interact prompt in 'Locally Untranslated' which is not linked to a scenery object is actually keyed to multiple tribbles being buried in the floor at -3 Y axis. On certain initial playthroughs they would sometimes emerge through the scenery like a pathetic furry Jaws parody.
Don't feel bad. Everyone has done it. There was a time when there were no invisible objects, so people were using everything from volcanic flowers to martini glasses and bloodwine cups. Keep at it. You're off to a good start.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Everyone, we have added Episode 9, our review of More Data Part 1: Theft of Honor by Hauriant. See our review here!
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
We've just added episode 10, our review of "Flotter and the Tree Monster" by Maziken!

Check it out here!
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
BitesizeUGC's Episode 11 is now available for viewing at http://youtu.be/zi0NCmTgyEk. This week we review Enemies of the Empire by Bazag. Go check it out.

It's our first review from the Klingon side of STO.