Lt. Commander
# 41
10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Test characters have not, will not and should never go to live.
End of Discussion and End of Story.

If you want to make characters you want to keep - Why arent you making it on the main server ?

You make characters on the Test server to TEST new things. Although this is ultimately a result of Cryptics insane stupidity. Go figure, players spend months playing on the test server with characters they have had to level from start to finish and want to keep their work.

Enable character transfers from the main server to the test server already. That way the fools that have been conned by Cryptic into busting their time on crash dummies can whine a little less about their inevitable demise.
1. Why? Because you say so?
2. For the bonuses that have been promised, just like anyone else.
3. True. So what is wrong with wanting to keep your work?
4. What good will that do- let me actually finish the tour of the galaxy because my mains have Borg/warp 14 engines? Whoopie!
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EremiticWolf View Post
Me? I could care less either way. Would be nice though if we can save our tribble character's looks and move that to holo. I'll relevel my character as I have some friends when f2p hits are coming back to sto.
Actually, you can do that! Go to the tailor and save your costume(s) of choice, then go to your tribble screenshots folder (for me, it's in program files/cryptic studios/star trek online/playtest/screenshots) and find the picture of the character you want--probably titled something like Costume_[username]_[charactername]_headshot_blahblahblah.jpg. Copy or cut that and paste it into your live screenshots folder and voila, the next time you make a character of that species and gender you can load that costume in.

'Tis how I got my Holodeck main pseudo-copied onto Tribble.

On topic: I would be in favor of a tribble-holo transfer, because I know many have put a lot of time and effort into their tribble characters. However, I, personally, don't have a character I'd want to transfer. As I mentioned, my Tribble main is a clone of my Holodeck main, and the other two I have on Tribble I rather want to restart anyway (the Klingon, because I want her to be an Engineer so she'll get more use out of the Kar'Fi, and the other Fed because I based him on an OC of mine without realizing that said OC really doesn't make a good Captain, which bugs me )

But for others' sakes? Yeah, it would be nice... If bugs are ironed out enough on Tribble that its build and the one that goes live are almost identical, then that should certainly minimize character bug and compatibility issues. And the headstart on the DOff system and such would be a nice reward for testers. So uh... +1 support, fwiw.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-16-2011, 03:05 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-16-2011, 03:11 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Absolutely no possibility whatsoever.

IMO the status of Tribble does not even qualify as a Beta, its more like "Alpha" right now.
Which means the characters will be and are so increadibly screwed up in ways both appearant and unappearant that there is no chance any self respecting programmer would let that data soup onto the live server. :p
I do not think it would be that hard. All they have to do is program a short routine to strip out anything that could potentially cause a problem. Of course, since neither one of us works at Cryptic, talking about the difficulty is just rank speculation in any case.

If they allowed the transfer of the character, that would be a huge incentive to get people to test the FTP beta. In compensation for the enhanced rankings, they could just stipulate that the only thing to be transferred would be the character itself: no inventory, assets, bridge officers, et cetera.

It is something that people at Cryptic should think about.
Lt. Commander
# 49 First Things First..
10-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Alright, First things first. Why can't we transfer our toons in the "alpha" server to Holodeck? Would it not be the SAME EXACT PROCESS AS TRANSFERRING OUR HOLODECK TOON, TO TRIBBLE?!? And more importantly, for those of you arguing about "Oh, it might cause glitches." or "We might get a bug to the game!" just look at the game right NOW!!! There are SO many bugs and glitches that people have REPORTED NUMEROUS TIMES that STILL ARE NOT FIXED! To be honest, if more glitches, bugs, and other crap come in with the next patch, I would not be surprised at all. Thank you to all you Cryptic workers who actually care about what us players think, thank you for TRYING to fix the bugs, but to those of you who sit by your computer all day clicking "Automated response:: send," FIX WHAT'S ALREADY BROKEN!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
You guys don't seem to understand how exploitable this is. There is no chance in Gre'thor they will ever move any character from a test server to a live server.

And this is to say nothing of bugged data propagation that could cause other serious issues.
Closed Thread