Lt. Commander
# 51
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander_ricochet View Post
No thatīs not the end of story! I can and will discuss this as MUCH as i want. Period!

And naming us who have a wish to get our test-toon to the holodeck, fools? Well iīm going to check the forum rules about flaming.

Do you work for some censor department of some kind?
What part of it being a TEST server escapes your comprehension ?

Test toons are for Test servers - They get broken, wiped or otherwise maimed at Cryptics lesiure
Main Toons are for Main Servers - They are what you have, are and continue to pay Cryptic for

Suddenly folks are balking at the idea of the test characters being wiped... the HORROR... could never have seen THAT coming, eh ?
Knowingly investing your time into something that is doomed to be erased and then whining about it - Sounds pretty foolish to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthan
1. Why? Because you say so?
Standard Testing Policy says so and Cryptic have made it pretty damn clear they have no intention of endorsing Test to Live transfers.
Additonally, this idea would cheat Cryptic out of money with characters being transferred over with free C-Store stuff bought with Test Points.

I have more faith in Cryptic's loyalty to $$$ than it's customers.

Quote:
2. For the bonuses that have been promised, just like anyone else.
You get the bonuses three weeks after F2P goes live on your MAIN ACCOUNT. They arent tied to your test character like a ball and chain.

Quote:
3. True. So what is wrong with wanting to keep your work?
The test server comes with an inherrant warning that things can go wrong, characters can be wiped and Cryptic can do whatever they want. If you want to keep your work, do it on holodeck. Not on a test server.

Quote:
4. What good will that do- let me actually finish the tour of the galaxy because my mains have Borg/warp 14 engines? Whoopie!
Prevent whining so much about losing 'work' when 'work' is transfered characters from Live to Test.

Those who made characters on test server did so knowing those characters would never touch the live server and that any 'work' done there would be erased save for the trinkets offered by Cryptic for your slave labour. Cryptic made the bed for you and you happily jumped in, now lie in it.
Lt. Commander
# 52
10-16-2011, 03:13 PM
yeah....transferring a toon from Tribble to Holodeck might break cloaking for a really long time
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign-swenson
yeah....transferring a toon from Tribble to Holodeck might break cloaking for a really long time
Yeah damn straight!
Sure we are warned about faults and errors on tribble but did we get at fair warning about all the thing that go wrong on holodeck?

I DO comprehend that that is a test server but that doesnīt mean that im not within my rights to wonder about the possibillity to get my test toon moved onto the holodeck! I do hate it when people are trying to shove their opinions down someones throath and being rude at the same time! Do you people have some kind of issues? Are you that unhappy that you have to insult others to feel more sure about yourselves?
Lt. Commander
# 54
10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Those who made characters on test server did so knowing those characters would never touch the live server and that any 'work' done there would be erased save for the trinkets offered by Cryptic for your slave labour. Cryptic made the bed for you and you happily jumped in, now lie in it.
You seem to have missed the original post/point - there was a report saying what would happen to the tribble toons would be announced this weekend- not sure, but I think it was in one of the "path to f2p" blogs. Now, & more importantly, why are you defending cr*ptic? So it's ok to whine about us but not ok to whine about this shoddy game? Yes, I was stupid enough to buy a lifetime subscription & if I had'nt I would have quit this BETA game already.
Lt. Commander
# 55
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Absolutely no possibility whatsoever.

IMO the status of Tribble does not even qualify as a Beta, its more like "Alpha" right now.
Which means the characters will be and are so increadibly screwed up in ways both appearant and unappearant that there is no chance any self respecting programmer would let that data soup onto the live server. :p
If Tribble does not even qualify as beta, then Holodeck should not even be released. Playing holodeck feels like a game that has only had 3 months development by a FULL SIZED development team. You know, like the same sized dev team that has worked on virtually every other mmo ever released.

I wonder if Cryptic is aware that Sony had a small dev team on The Matrix Online, and they managed to model an entire city, with proper scale, and actually stick to Matrix canon.
Lt. Commander
# 56
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
If anyone is reading this at Cryptic, I would just like to let them know that I would like for them to implement the transfer of a character from the F2P server to the main server. I realize that if they choose to do so, things like ships, BOFFs, DOFs, inventory, energy credits, dilithium, C-store purchases, et cetera may not be transferred along with the character for reasons that have largely been mentioned on this thread. I would be much more likely to dedicate time to the tribble test server if I know that at least some of what I do there will be transferred.

I am uncertain why some players feel the need to be condescending to other players who are making this request. I do not see anyone here demanding that their characters be transferred, claiming that they have been misled into believing that their characters were transferable, or claiming that they have some inherent right to have their characters transferred. All I see is people making a polite request of Cryptic and explaining why it might benefit both the testers and Cryptic. I am uncertain why some of them are receiving so much grief from other players in return. Like my great granny used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, post on another thread.
Lt. Commander
# 58
10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Wow. Can't believe this thread is still alive.

If there was a possibility of transferring a character to Holodeck, there would be no need for 'rewards' for your holodeck characters. The transfer would be the reward in and of itself.

Also, threads like this popped up during the original open beta with numerous cries to allow a transfer. But they all got wiped, and everyone had to start over.

Also, even during THIS beta, characters have been erased during the maintenance without warning. There was an exploit discovered that allowed quicker leveling (even quicker than it is now). Those characters were simply erased without warning. (They simply announced it in one of the release notes as a 'by the way, some characters will be erased due to ...).

Plus, there is no reason for them to allow a transfer. They have given everyone, and will continue to giving everyone more 'Test-points'. This is potential revenue for them on the holodeck side.

Quote:
You seem to have missed the original post/point - there was a report saying what would happen to the tribble toons would be announced this weekend- not sure, but I think it was in one of the "path to f2p" blogs.
Do you have a link for this? I read all the dev posts and the blog. Don't recall any mention of a character transfer to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 59
10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
If anyone is reading this at Cryptic, I would just like to let them know that I would like for them to implement the transfer of a character from the F2P server to the main server. I realize that if they choose to do so, things like ships, BOFFs, DOFs, inventory, energy credits, dilithium, C-store purchases, et cetera may not be transferred along with the character for reasons that have largely been mentioned on this thread. I would be much more likely to dedicate time to the tribble test server if I know that at least some of what I do there will be transferred.

I am uncertain why some players feel the need to be condescending to other players who are making this request. I do not see anyone here demanding that their characters be transferred, claiming that they have been misled into believing that their characters were transferable, or claiming that they have some inherent right to have their characters transferred. All I see is people making a polite request of Cryptic and explaining why it might benefit both the testers and Cryptic. I am uncertain why some of them are receiving so much grief from other players in return. Like my great granny used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, post on another thread.
Wow, right on brother! Eloquent & to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Do you have a link for this? I read all the dev posts and the blog. Don't recall any mention of a character transfer to Holodeck.
No, I'm sorry I don't. Wish I did- might end this madness.
Lt. Commander
# 60
10-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Wow. Can't believe this thread is still alive.

If there was a possibility of transferring a character to Holodeck, there would be no need for 'rewards' for your holodeck characters. The transfer would be the reward in and of itself.

Also, threads like this popped up during the original open beta with numerous cries to allow a transfer. But they all got wiped, and everyone had to start over.

Also, even during THIS beta, characters have been erased during the maintenance without warning. There was an exploit discovered that allowed quicker leveling (even quicker than it is now). Those characters were simply erased without warning. (They simply announced it in one of the release notes as a 'by the way, some characters will be erased due to ...).

Plus, there is no reason for them to allow a transfer. They have given everyone, and will continue to giving everyone more 'Test-points'. This is potential revenue for them on the holodeck side.

Ultimately though, it is up to Cryptic. If they really want people to test the FTP, transferring characters would be a much bigger incentive (leading to more testers) than a couple of DOFF's, some dilithium, and a title if you make it all the way to VA.

Personally, I think I am only going to test the DOFF system once I get to level 35 (or whatever is needed for the Dilithium reward) because the title is not a big incentive for me.

Now if Cryptic is seeing the amount of players they would like on the Tribble Server, then there is no reason to further incentivize testing. But, if they want more testers, allowing them to transfer their character into an open spot on Holodeck would be a big incentive even if they do take away things like inventory and c-store purchases.

I also do not think you can really compare this to the original Beta either, because there was no "release" version to play. It was either play the Beta or bupkis. In the current situation, any time testing the F2P BETA takes away from time playing the release version (where you get to keep your rewards).
Closed Thread