Lt. Commander
After yesterdays tribble shenanigans, I was close to the end of my tether. As some of you know I work in support in a relatively high pressure environment - everything MUST run like clockwork and to schedule. Because of my job I am constantly frustrated by the lack of support here (I know how EASY it is to PROVIDE basic level support). I guess I see it more than most other people here just because it's my career path. If you understand what I mean by that. Plus on top of which my team at work seemed to be sagging and my SLA at work was hitting a dreaded 95.5% (We need at least 95% to pass per month). I hit on an idea last night which would combine both problems and a shared solution. Not sure how it came to me; either cause my STO client was crash so often my mind was just drifting.

I keep on banging on to my staff about customer service and how it is important.Instead I thought I'ld show them bad customer service in all it's forms and the impact of bad service. I couldn't see any good examples (that were free) through various business link sources so I used... STO and the forums as an example.

Although I am not that high up in the chain (still not EMEA support manager just YET) I decided to get the staff to look at STO and pick out the worst possible examples of customer service on these boards during the usual 2 hour drilling session of team "meetings" a task within itself. Literally every form of bad customer service is on here, not listening to customers, ignoring customers, not providing support, failing to provide or stick to SLA's and KPI's, downright lying to customers, failing to update customers, deceptive practices, questionable ethics et al. It's quite amazing what my staff turned up actually especially in the archive section. I then presented them with a test case in each instance on how they would do it differently. It caused quite a stir amungst higher management "Jay has his staff... playing games and browsing forums in company time?!?". A higher end manager came in and decided to ask about what the hell I was doing during company hours. I didn't have them playing games and it was just someone thought we were.

I explained my frustration with STO and thought to show the staff the consequences of not supporting customers. My boss asked me why I still play the game if it is THAT bad. He asked me how it was work relevant so I explained my idea. I couldn't really think of any other reason than it may change for the better and the core game works it just needs improved. Maybe a change of management. He was intrigued and asked me to show him STO. I showed him. I gave him examples of the new DOFF system; the lack of visible tickets and the general look and feel of the game. It's difficult presenting to your boss what you do in your spare time as I have found out.

I gave my staff tests based on what they learned (in front of my boss). Some of their answers were pretty direct and insightful. Glad to see all my staff passed on what they would do correctly. The boss then took over. Intrigued I listened to him. He thought it was a genuinely brilliant idea and put his views forward. We had a discussion during a team meeting on what and why keeps STO going. "It's consumer base based on the principle it will eventually improve". How long will it last? "Short term unless it improves".

I won't post the results of the test cases here in case it's seen as trolling / flaming / bashing the company. I am hoping I've motivated / scared my team into proving this month and bringing the SLA back up to acceptable levels. We have a buzzer here whenever we fail our SLA on each ticket / call / email. After 2 years I still can't get used to it - I wonder if Cryptic has something similar.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-07-2011, 06:14 AM
well, hate to tell you this... but not everything works with such high-pressure anything. and besides, STO's customer support is just not designed that way... in order to provide the basics, the devs would need to respond to EVERY ticket... and they just don't have time to do that, even the automated one.

as for Tribble stuff, it's the TESTING server. all this is a work-in-progress, and none of it has gone live where it will really impact stuff.

i understand you don't like how they run things. but there's nothing you can do about it, as it's not your job
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-07-2011, 06:22 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
well, hate to tell you this... but not everything works with such high-pressure anything. and besides, STO's customer support is just not designed that way... in order to provide the basics, the devs would need to respond to EVERY ticket... and they just don't have time to do that, even the automated one.

as for Tribble stuff, it's the TESTING server. all this is a work-in-progress, and none of it has gone live where it will really impact stuff.

i understand you don't like how they run things. but there's nothing you can do about it, as it's not your job
I do see that Trek but again people were handing over REAL money for the test server; it was fixed but during that time there was no announcement from Cryptic until the fix was almost already in place.

If tickets are not responded to in 20 months (I believe it's up to that now for mine) it's not a problem?

If STO is not designed to provide basic level support (Automated acknowledgement of ticket) then why have the ticketing system at all? Why provide half-implemented functionality?

I am aware it is not my job but I am a Customer (), I expect a LEVEL of support. Even a menial one. I expect other customers (as a customer myself) to be support when there are technical issues. Tell you what call the support number on the back of the Atari box for STO?

This is pretty basic stuff even WoW, EVE, Guild Wars has licked. If STO's competitors can do it why can't STO?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisFreeMe
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
Awesome but I'm not a nerd.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:
I do see that Trek but again people were handing over REAL money for the test server; it was fixed but during that time there was no announcement from Cryptic until the fix was almost already in place.

If tickets are not responded to in 20 months (I believe it's up to that now for mine) it's not a problem?

If STO is not designed to provide basic level support (Automated acknowledgement of ticket) then why have the ticketing system at all? Why provide half-implemented functionality?

I am aware it is not my job but I am a Customer (), I expect a LEVEL of support. Even a menial one. I expect other customers (as a customer myself) to be support when there are technical issues. Tell you what call the support number on the back of the Atari box for STO?

This is pretty basic stuff even WoW, EVE, Guild Wars has licked. If STO's competitors can do it why can't STO?
yeah, it's not a problem, it's how it works in STO as for automated, they don't have an automated system of any kind (that's why they'd need to respond to everyone themselves, which they can't because it would take away developer time)

why is it there then? so they're aware of issues and work on them, even if they don't acknowledge the people who sent the tickets

why is it like that? i don't know... i don't work at Cryptic after all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay108 View Post
Awesome but I'm not a nerd.
If you logged into the Forums you are.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
yeah, it's not a problem, it's how it works in STO as for automated, they don't have an automated system of any kind (that's why they'd need to respond to everyone themselves, which they can't because it would take away developer time)

why is it there then? so they're aware of issues and work on them, even if they don't acknowledge the people who sent the tickets

why is it like that? i don't know... i don't work at Cryptic after all.
Yeah I see what your point now. *Ponders*

Other priorities such as the core game require attention therefore the support team must be tied in with the dev team. Or maybe the dev team is also the support team. You know what? It beginning the make sense now.

If you see STO as an MMO or a Single player game with team based gameplay then you will be disappointed so far. It's a work in progress game which plans to become an MMO. It does sound like a terrible horrid system to be honest. So I've been subbing for the development of the MMO which still should be considered in it's paid Alpha stage. I've came into STO expecting a working complete STO; I will need to adjust my expectations.

The only way we're going to find out how the MMO will turn out is to keep subbing I suppose. It's disappointing but not entirely unexpected.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell83
If you logged into the Forums you are.
I always considered myself to be one of the local lads round ere. Guess nerdy lad be ere. Shh keep it quiet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-07-2011, 07:00 AM
0.955 sucks, brother. You gotta hit them NINES if you wanna run with the big dogs. GO HARD OR GO HOME.