Lt. Commander
# 41
10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I think it's important to remember that this is supposed to be Star Trek Online. If it doesn't match canon or fit with realistic expectations where canon doesn't exist, then it's not right and it should be fixed. The devil is in the details, especially with Trek, and this game gets too many details wrong. We have to deal with an abhorrently large number of canon violations in this game - many for no good reason - and it's to the point that it's really immersion breaking. Every time I see an NPC with the incorrect number of pips on their uniform I cringe (for example, your transporter chief in Stranded in Space has lieutenant pips - the same rank as the ship's 'captain'). This kind of stuff would be quick and easy to fix, but they don't. They have consistently underestimated the importance of these details to Trek fans in their quest to add more content and I know for a fact that it's cost them potential customers.

As for the people who get sick from lack of orientation, I can't seriously imagine this game doing that. The game auto-orients you regardless of what you do - we can't flip over, we can't even go all the way up or down. Just by looking at the top of your ship, you know which way is up, which way is down, etc. We don't have any empty solar system maps either, so you can't really say there aren't any objects to orient to.

I agree with the statements that the DS9 update was inadequate. It looks virtually the same from what I could tell, and still looks pretty empty inside - not at all like the bustling open port it should be. It needs more NPCs around, moving back and forth, in Quarks, and it needs a transporter room. The space zone around DS9 definitely needs some NPC traffic like ESD (also some ships docked at the pylons), and if there's supposed to be a purple belt there in the space backdrop, then that's cool, put one there.

I do agree with the people who have said there are too many asteroid belts or rings around planets. They are absolutely right when they say that just because you can add a detail, doesn't mean you should. As for the M-class planets that look like gas giants, I think those only show up in the Genesis system, and if the schedule is still on track (which it might not be, who knows?) they were planning to gut that and put in something different for exploration missions. Either way, yeah, we shouldn't be seeing an M-class planet that looks like Jupiter or Saturn.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalusOmega
As for the people who get sick from lack of orientation, I can't seriously imagine this game doing that. The game auto-orients you regardless of what you do - we can't flip over, we can't even go all the way up or down. Just by looking at the top of your ship, you know which way is up, which way is down, etc. We don't have any empty solar system maps either, so you can't really say there aren't any objects to orient to.
It's not about ability to orient. It's about an absence of a horizon or a visible floor making some people ill, not navigation difficulties. It's something I noticed in some reviews of the game as well.

Just because it doesn't affect me or you or your friends or the average space sim player doesn't mean we should be the primary target of this game to the exclusion of other folks.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
I want my DS9 Ground Fleet action back. Please bring it backkkkkkkkkk!!!
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
I agree with the statements that the DS9 update was inadequate. It looks virtually the same from what I could tell, and still looks pretty empty inside - not at all like the bustling open port it should be. It needs more NPCs around, moving back and forth, in Quarks, and it needs a transporter room.
There was an update? [/sarcasm]

Adding Sisko's office was a nice touch, but...seriously. DS9 needs a full overhaul on the scope and scale that ESD got. And with the same care and attention to detail that the TOS interiors got.

Either do it right, or don't waste everyone's time. :\
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroscifer View Post
Hmm that does sound sweet maybe even get iconic music for all the major locals, a klingon theme for the shipyard there, ESD with the tradition star trek them, TOS for at K7.

But I would think we would want an option to turn it off as couldg et annoying after it lost it's effect.
Depends on what iteration of the themes you use; The slower tempo TNG theme from the TNG movies would work well for ESD, or maybe the Horner fanfare from ST3. I wouldn't use the straight-up TOS Theme at K-7, but some kind of quieter riff on that theme. I'd like to see a music theme closer to what Starfleet Command used for Q'onoS and other Klingon areas; a riff on the Horner Klingon theme.

Hell, Hire Ron Jones to redo the whole game's score. Too much of it is extremely generic. <_<
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
I agree with the statements that the DS9 update was inadequate. It looks virtually the same from what I could tell, and still looks pretty empty inside - not at all like the bustling open port it should be. It needs more NPCs around, moving back and forth, in Quarks, and it needs a transporter room. The space zone around DS9 definitely needs some NPC traffic like ESD (also some ships docked at the pylons), and if there's supposed to be a purple belt there in the space backdrop, then that's cool, put one there.
There was an episode of DS9 where Jake Sisko was looking over the Promenade on the upper level at all the people going about their business during which he was coming up with story’s about them, I’d also like to bring up Morn, when we first see him in the first episode he’s just an extra in the background, but over the course of those 7 years he became much more and yet never said a word, my point is that those people that walk around the Promenade or sit at the bar have the potential to have whole episodes about them.

But I don’t think adding more NPCs would help give the feel of the bustling open port it should be, because no matter how divers they make to NPCs (to me anyway) they’ll just be that, a set amount of NPCs with a set path to follow on the map with no real potential backstory, thou the NPCs that stand about the station have that potential because people can add Foundry Missions to them or Cryptic themselves can add Story Missions or Daily’s to them, this even applies to there being a traffic of star ship NPCs, that in the end they’ll be just a set amount of ships with a set path to follow on the map with no real potential backstory, they won’t be different ships each time just the same, and in the end both ground and space NPCs will just end up being clutter.

But I do have an idea to make Deep Space Nine the bustling open port it should be, get REAL people to come to DS9 and have more things to do at the station, the best way to start is to make sure that all the things you can do a ESD can be done at DS9 (like a Dilithium store), but this is the major way to get people to come to DS9 on a regular basis, at daily repeatable missions on the station, this could be either lore missions about the history of DS9 (like the path to 2409 at both factions academy’s) or a variety of missions involving you going around the station to complete tacks set to you like fixing all the replicators, sorting out the stations targeting sensor at Ops, sorting out trade deals between the store owners or just engaging in pray at the Bajoran Temple, maybe you could add career based objections or add Commendation XP to the different missions (like sorting out trade deals between the store owners would get you Trade XP), and finally (which would take a long time to sort out) is to have special gear or items that can only be bought at DS9, for example like with the Elite Task Force armour there could be a special armour or uniform that you can get for doing or getting X amount of missions or salvage, maybe all the officers and crew of DS9 all wear these special uniforms because like the Elite Task Force the crew of DS9 is their own special task force and by earning it you become a part of the that task force, maybe by also doing the daily’s on DS9 gets you points to get these items as well, it doesn’t even have to be special task force items like that, it could be Bajoran weapons or trinkets.

By doing these ideas there would be more reasons to come to Deep Space Nine thus more REAL people would be walking around the Promenade and warping in and out of the system, this kind of thing could even apply to the other stations in-game to get more people to keep coming back to them, and instead of having a set of NPCs cluttering up the map with no real potential for backstory’s, instead you get hundreds real people who do have backstory’s.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinRa_Actual View Post
There was an update? [/sarcasm]

DS9 needs a full overhaul on the scope and scale that ESD got. And with the same care and attention to detail that the TOS interiors got.

Either do it right, or don't waste everyone's time. :\

Don't count on it unless they can put it in the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-26-2011, 03:12 PM
i have to agree ds9 update is very underdone.. IMO most bases, k-7 and ds9 and starbase 24 need complete reworks, inside and out to bring them in line with the other updated interiors. these 3 should be first in line mostly due to the fact that they are the more heavily used base locations. they are hubs to their respective sector blocks. makes the game look mashed together.

on the note of toning down the space debris.. i have a top of the line alienware machine and there have been times that i had so much stuff going on in space with asteroids that it actually struggled to load. sometimes it causes it to run really hot. its the only time in game that it does it. even though it only happened a handful of times, thats still a problem. i can only imagine what it does to older machines
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link8909 View Post
But I do have an idea to make Deep Space Nine the bustling open port it should be, get REAL people to come to DS9
You had some really good ideas in there, but in five seconds I get enough Borg in pink miniskirts running around ESD to break my immersion for a lifetime. No thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
i have to agree ds9 update is very underdone.. IMO most bases, k-7 and ds9 and starbase 24 need complete reworks, inside and out to bring them in line with the other updated interiors. these 3 should be first in line mostly due to the fact that they are the more heavily used base locations. they are hubs to their respective sector blocks. makes the game look mashed together.
K-7, tbh, should also be overhauled with the TOS style interiors, or at least based off them; New consoles, and maybe new color schemes, but obviously based on that architechture.