Lt. Commander
# 21
10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
The Ui defiantly needs more colour to it that is for sure. Design wise hopefully late tng/nemesis design.
Like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...se-E_LCARS.jpg

or:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...nemesis075.jpg

Keeping blue the dominant color, but not the only color.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
and function as the action bars right now are god damn awful with the change to the BO tray I always did well with the long row BO tray and 2 bars above, nice spot for everything I needed, but with the change I couldn't get it right so now I use the 3 bars not to bad, but I miss my BO and the feeling of giving them the order instead of casting an other spell
In case you didn't know, you can actually make the current (new) BO tray a long thin one along one line, by hitting F12 and selecting the far right edge to resize it. I like to play this way too.

You can also show/hide a couple of the panels, including the mission info box too (IIRC that wasn't possible before Season 4).
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I decided to go and reformat my UI away from the default settings I was using and I came up with this:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...6-17-34-35.jpg

Kind of inspired by the SWTOR UI.

http://www.sggaminginfo.com/wp-conte...5/swtor-ui.jpg

Its a tad more satisfactory, but I would be more content with a more Trek-like UI.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
I think our current UI is overdesigned in trying to be simple. Its great that it supports some configurable adjustment and scaling, but most of it doesn't work (like scaling on the target of target box is distorted).

I believe a community modded UI would be great, but it won't happen unless community developers have the access to show information and move it around.

I hope they do transition to a more LCARSish theme, even dominated by blue like in Nemesis (which by the way I really disliked because of their use of LCD or Plasma screens versus moving Okudagrams - I thought the colours were too bright and bled through with each other, especially when not in focus).

I'd like to see a UI that looks more like one solid unit rather than the pieces we have now, but that supports having different panels in various places.

And ofc, they must try to uphold the IP and avoid having hello kitty online STO UI screens.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
The UI needs help. Is there even a UI team anymore that just works on this aspect at Cryptic? or have they all been reassigned? (this is a rhetorical question, because I know you don't know the answer)
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykotion View Post
The UI needs help. Is there even a UI team anymore that just works on this aspect at Cryptic? or have they all been reassigned? (this is a rhetorical question, because I know you don't know the answer)
They do have a UI artist, I think that would be Thomas Marrone or ThomasTheCat (I think?) he did a bunch of cool minigame UI concepts some time ago, alot of which are good enough to deserve to be in game.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
They seriously need to open up the UI to modding.
They do, with such a tech savvy user base it's just plain dumb to not do so, offload the development of custom ui skins to a fan base with years of experience doing it, make the game look better, make the community happy, and save development hours for other tasks.

The UI in sto kills me, its like scraping a layer of kindergarten fingerpaint across a gorgeous painting. The graphics in sto are so good, why frame it with something that makes the game look like an alpha build.

at least those old blues were a less eye killing.

Don't even get me started on the awful red death of the klingon UI.

tinting and transparancy options would go a long way.

I can't say I'm a fan of lcars myslef, but a few themes might be nice based on ui's used in the series
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
And our current UI looks like it's out of a Superhero game.....
And it still looks better and less cartoonish than the ugly, old UI in the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
And it still looks better and less cartoonish than the ugly, old UI in the OP.
This I can agree on.

All the UI needs is more options to close. Hot keys take care of most of it anyways,
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
They do, with such a tech savvy user base it's just plain dumb to not do so, offload the development of custom ui skins to a fan base with years of experience doing it, make the game look better, make the community happy, and save development hours for other tasks.

The UI in sto kills me, its like scraping a layer of kindergarten fingerpaint across a gorgeous painting. The graphics in sto are so good, why frame it with something that makes the game look like an alpha build.

at least those old blues were a less eye killing.

Don't even get me started on the awful red death of the klingon UI.

tinting and transparancy options would go a long way.

I can't say I'm a fan of lcars myslef, but a few themes might be nice based on ui's used in the series
Cant say I disagree, if opening up the UI to modding means I can get a better Star Trek experience then why not. If they arent willing to revamp the UI, then its the least they can do but im not holding my breath.