Lt. Commander
# 1 No more Engineering Reports?
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
So Devs, are we not doing the Engineering reports anymore? It's been almost two months now...
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-16-2011, 10:13 PM
The new EP pretty much shut it down in favor of blogs. /shrug
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
The new EP pretty much shut it down in favor of blogs. /shrug
Not only agree but see them as way better. Eng reports are old school, we've gotten more info lately than ever before. It does require a more active presence and knowing where to look, but is compartmentalized for your enjoyment,,,,
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Considering how frequently the Free to Play posts have been I am ok with not seeing an Engineering Report until the whole F2P launch has taken place and the bugs have been worked out. Asking for an Engineering Report now is like asking for an update on an engine diagnostic while your star ship is being attacked by the Borg. Once F2P launches I hope that the reports get issued to us at least quarterly.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I agree, theres not much to do with the engineering reports anyway until F2P launches. Everything is like...at full stop until then.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-17-2011, 01:12 AM
I've got to disagree. One thing I loved about Engineering Reports, Ask Cryptics, etc was how much information we got in conjunction with a large chunk of transparency from Cryptic. I know a lot of us have had our opinions of Cryptic.. sour some over the last few months and for the entire content famine but what other mmo company would release regular scheduled information on updates? Or routine Q&A's? Take WoW as an example (hear me out). It took them what, 7 years for them to do community Q&A's? They just started that this year, taking Q&A questions via their forums, and rolling out answers to those. Sure they answered things here and there over the years but a regularly scheduled Q&A? Cryptic was the first mmo company I ever saw do that, on a consistent regular basis. And that's.. gone now.

I don't have anything personally against D'angelo but honestly what he says in those blogs sounds like what PWI wants him to say. He just gives me this vibe of being the company mouth piece, telling us things he is told to tell us. Whereas Dan, he'd always let on more than that or at least give off that appearance of doing so.

I mean how hard is it to do your blog thingie there, AND have one person spend some time, write up whats being done currently, and tally up questions from a forum thread to be answered? Is it man power? Time? No more openess? If it's the first two, hell take volunteers from the community some of us would do the leg work for you just put the stuff out there for us to read.

Sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-17-2011, 02:50 AM
i think stephen said that one of the team is taking it over, but for the time being they will be doing the blogs.

so we should see them again, and we pretty much know whats coming in the short term.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
We're still going to be doing the Ask Cryptic's.

However, for now, I think that the regular blog updates are doing pretty awesome at keeping you all abreast of the current state of development for STO.

One thing that you all should be remembering is that our EEPH, also functions as Cryptic's Chief Technical Officer. So, not only is he acting Executive Producer for us, but he also has lots of other duties to perform as well.

I'm pretty sure the poor guy gave up sleep for the next few months...

The basic outcome is, he's been doing an awesome job keeping us up-to-date with almost daily dev blogs on the status of various aspects of production.

Much like you, I also want to see the monthly Engineering Report and SOTG (State of the Game) return, I also really don't want to bog him down with even more stuff to do.

If he's doing a daily blog post, and Engineering Report/SOTG, and an Ask Cryptic each month, when is he going to do the actual Executive Production or Chief Technical Officer portions of his job?

So, please, hang in there. I have no intentions of letting them stop those great monthly features on a permanent basis, and I'm 100% certain that they don't want those updates to stop either. However, short term, we might need to cut the EEPH just a little bit of slack...

After all, we want him to keep making the game better as well, right?

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We're still going to be doing the Ask Cryptic's.

However, for now, I think that the regular blog updates are doing pretty awesome at keeping you all abreast of the current state of development for STO.

One thing that you all should be remembering is that our EEPH, also functions as Cryptic's Chief Technical Officer. So, not only is he acting Executive Producer for us, but he also has lots of other duties to perform as well.

I'm pretty sure the poor guy gave up sleep for the next few months...

The basic outcome is, he's been doing an awesome job keeping us up-to-date with almost daily dev blogs on the status of various aspects of production.

Much like you, I also want to see the monthly Engineering Report and SOTG (State of the Game) return, I also really don't want to bog him down with even more stuff to do.

If he's doing a daily blog post, and Engineering Report/SOTG, and an Ask Cryptic each month, when is he going to do the actual Executive Production or Chief Technical Officer portions of his job?

So, please, hang in there. I have no intentions of letting them stop those great monthly features on a permanent basis, and I'm 100% certain that they don't want those updates to stop either. However, short term, we might need to cut the EEPH just a little bit of slack...

After all, we want him to keep making the game better as well, right?

Thanks,

Stormshade
I dont remember where, but I could have sworn I remember D'Angelo saying he was going to be letting someone else on the team take over the ER's for now. It might have been in one of his podcast interviews, so I'll see if I can track that statement down(or if anyone else remembers where please post it). But regardless, are you saying that that is incorrect and there will be no ERs for now?
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Agreed. He IS keeping us up to date with the In Development portion.