Lt. Commander
Up it till now, you never lost anything in the game Permanently unless you decided you no longer wanted it. (I.E. If you sell, discard, or use a XP boost and the like.) When your ship blows up, you lose no crew or gear, same for the ground. I like this!

But now, you can have DOff's die! While I see why this is possible and how funny it is, I can also see how upsetting it can be as well, for this reason. Some people will buy DOff Packs in the C-Store.

Now, if I spend 220 C-Points on some DOff's, put them on a mission and they turn around and die, I will be ****ed. It will be a waste of money! I can say this about the C-Store, nothing in it is a waste of money up till now. Anything you buy, you will recieve something from. Even if it is a one time use such as an XP boost.

But for the first time, you can buy something in the C-store, and see little to no return. (Depending on your luck.)

So I propose this. If DOff's can die, then they are not that pivotal, they should be xtra cheap. That way if you lose a bunch, you don't feel ripped off. I know you can just say, don't buy DOff booster packs, but is that fair? Like I said, nothing else in the C-Store has the potential of being here today gone tomorrow, unless I choose for it to be.

I always liked the fact that you don't lose your stuff upon death cause some games are harsh in this regard.(EVE) So if we are gonna have stuff which can be lost due to its death, it should be hella cheap, since you propose to sell it, or they should not die, I thought that is what Sickbay was for. Why even have DOff's Die?
I understand the realism, but if you are going for that, How do I survive my ship exploding?!?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Only white doffs can die, green and up are protected. Not counting a bugs or two that have eaten some higher quality doffs. Even then, they don't always die, they can end up in sickbay just like green and up. With the C-store packs being changed to give doffs based on color and not rarity, that's 3 doffs in every pack that you can only lose if you chose to.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Give people a pony and a porsche and they'll say they're allergic to ponies and prefer ferrari.

Doffs die. Deal with it. There's a risk factor to most missions and it's your decission who you'll sent to resolve them. Use cannon fodder if you want your blue and purple officers to survive.

You don't have to buy doff packs on the C-Store. You can get new recruits through normal play. And they are by no means worse than the ones you could buy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-17-2011, 02:18 PM
DOffs die.

In STO, they are a mission component/input, much like any commodity or energy credit. Just because the DOff has a face, does not make it any different.

When you do an Aid the Planet mission, you loose all 10 Industrial Replicators, permanently. When you perform a dangerous mission, there is a chance to loose a white quality DOff. Call me cold hearted, but I have a roster full of about 80 white quality DOffs, many happen to be triplets or even septuplets. I can afford the loss.

For immersion/story purposes, Starfleet (and especially the KDF) is a dangerous place. Casualty rates for inexperienced crew members would certainly be higher than for the more experienced ones. Think of them as Red Shirts.

Now, if you really do not want to loose anyone, feel free to stick to the safe missions, or only use Green or better quality DOffs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Doffs shouldnt die or at least C-store packs should only give green and up and NO whites. OP is right, if Im spending money on doffs they better be of the kind that doesnt die. Maybe the hardcore guys like wasting money on disposable crap but most every sane person doesnt want their money going up in smoke.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Mortal doffs are fine, however I agree that the cstore pack should only contain green+ doffs. Cstore should offer valuable and persistent, and not throwaway doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
Doffs shouldnt die or at least C-store packs should only give green and up and NO whites. OP is right, if Im spending money on doffs they better be of the kind that doesnt die. Maybe the hardcore guys like wasting money on disposable crap but most every sane person doesnt want their money going up in smoke.
That IS the way it's going to be. Only white DOFFs will be able to die. So peeps are getting all angry about nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Really people? DOffs are supposed to die and it makes perfect sense. And for the record, they can all be obtained without the C-Store. Only whites can die anyway... quit raging over nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
The death of Red Shirts has been a part of Trek forever so i like the fact that they can die. and seeing as there pretty easy to get i dont see it as a big issue. Just dont send your purples out on death missions leave that to Red Shirt #1 and #2.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Just Curious here, Has anybody set up a process to send home to the appropriate Families the Letters of Commendations for Services rendered and so forth? Lost in the Performance of their Duty to the Federation or what ever.