Lt. Commander
# 1 Here is the reason why...
10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm out.

But, before I go, I might as well explain why I'm out. Not like it's going to matter, because feedback isn't important to the devs, but at least I can say "I did my part."

I cancelled my subscription on Sunday. The reason I cancelled is pretty simple. Lack of faith. A severe lack of faith in the developers of STO to be precise. Sadly, my subscription cancellation options didn't allow me to choose that, much less fill in an option as to why I am lacking in faith, and so I shall relay my reasoning here.

I had hoped with the announcement of F2P that it meant a complete and total re-launch of STO. I had hoped that the devs would take the relaunch seriously, and work to make this game the MMO it should have been from the very beginning. Sadly, I don't get that impression anymore now that the "Road to F2P" is becoming so clear.

I have left all kinds of feedback on what I feel STO needs to address in order to be relaunched in a manner that would help it's image in the gaming community and become the success that Champions has become. Sadly, that will not be the case for STO. If anything, the impression I have gotten is that the devs would rather ignore the feedback and do what they intend to do, rather than make meaningful changes. There can be no clearer evidence of this than the "Tutorial Feedback" forum, which to date, hasn't had a single developer comment, even though it was supposedly the whole point of the first Tribble build, to evaluate the "new" (LOL) tutorial.

There is simply too much lack of polish on this game. Any number of issues abound. For example, bridges and interiors. No evidence exists that the issues with the bridges and interiors will be addressed before F2P goes live, even though players have been commenting on it for a long time, even longer than I have been a subscriber to this game. Additionally, ship customization. People want to fly the ships they choose, not the ones they get forced into. No evidence that will ever change. In fact, with the release of X.5 ships, it pretty much cements that the future for lower tier ships is set in stone, and will never change. For a game that bills itself as "player customization friendly" this is not friendly to the player at all.

Other issues would include clipping issues on uniforms, inconsistent doors (some open, some don't), a tutorial which is billed as new, but isn't really new, etc. etc. etc.

No, sadly, this game's F2P conversion contains little to no meaningful change for the players. Sure, you have the DOFF system, but everything else seems to be geared completely to changing the game economy to suit a new "All C-Store - All the Time" philosophy. And you know, I'd probably be ok with that, if Cryptic cared a bit more about the quality of their C-Store product. Such as the bridges, that I mentioned above.

Other companies that have re-launched their games to F2P, have used the opportunity to address player's concerns, suggestions and the desire for a better game. Age of Conan is a very recent example of a company which seized the opportunity and transformed their game to the better. Yes, they added in MTs and a Cash Store, but it very nicely supplemented the re-launch, rather than defining the re-launch.
So this is it for me. I had hoped that Cryptic would be committed to making their game better, as well as more profitable. But now, it appears to me their singular goal is to cash in every last penny they can before the cow runs dry and they can send it off for hamburger.

Gonna be a dry couple months as I await SWTOR, but at least I won't be wasting anymore valuable time on a game which will NEVER live up to it's potential, and will likely finish it's Titanic sink to the depths of obscurity in the coming months. SWTOr may not be a great game when it comes out (only time will tell) but at least it'll be better than this one, and I simply can't convince myself to pay for mediocrity any more.

Farewell.

Account cancelled after 19.5 days.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Your mistake was going into this thinking it was a new game being launched, especially since that was never said. The development team have shown a lot of consistency lately by taking onboard player feedback regarding the economy, the doff system and the ship tokens debacle and whats more, have actually implemented changes according to that feedback.

What more do you want? Oh yeah, you want dev replies to every single topic in the tutorial feedback forum. I guess thats more important than spending their 9 to 5 actually working to fix and improve things.

Good luck to you, you'll have fun trying to get a dev reply post launch on the SWTOR boards.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
If anything, the impression I have gotten is that the devs would rather ignore the feedback and do what they intend to do, rather than make meaningful changes. There can be no clearer evidence of this than the "Tutorial Feedback" forum, which to date, hasn't had a single developer comment, even though it was supposedly the whole point of the first Tribble build, to evaluate the "new" (LOL) tutorial.
They may not have posted there, but they have changed the default starting mode from shooter to RPG based on our responses posted there. That said, one universal constant I have found in every game I have ever played is that some people get "fed up" and leave. So neither you nor this game are unique in that regard. But hopefully you will find one you do enjoy in the future
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
I have left all kinds of feedback on what I feel STO needs to address in order to be relaunched in a manner that would help it's image in the gaming community and become the success that Champions has become. Sadly, that will not be the case for STO. If anything, the impression I have gotten is that the devs would rather ignore the feedback and do what they intend to do, rather than make meaningful changes. There can be no clearer evidence of this than the "Tutorial Feedback" forum, which to date, hasn't had a single developer comment, even though it was supposedly the whole point of the first Tribble build, to evaluate the "new" (LOL) tutorial.
Seems like they've been listening lately with the economy changes and reinstating the free ships. In regards to dev posting, have you read the posts in the DOFF section? Heretic posts in that forum like a madman, sometimes at 4am. But I guess that doesn't count with you. And they HAVE changed the tutorial based on feedback as the Nagus has mentioned. But, whatever.

CYA

Oh, and ITBL
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
I'm out..... Account cancelled after 19.5 days.
lol

No game will please everyone. I actually think Star Trek Online Devs have done more listening than any other game I've played; AND, made positive changes based on what the playerbase wanted.

But then... if you expect an MMO to act on your ideas in 19.5 days.... well... good luck with your future choice.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
LOL....19.5 days. What a joke. You don't like the game now, good thing you didn't play when it first launched. YOu have no idea how far the game has come over the past year and a half.

CYA and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
can I haz ur stuffz?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
And he didn't even read the forum rules on the ban against "I quit" threads.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:

Account cancelled after 19.5 days.

Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
And he didn't even read the forum rules on the ban against "I quit" threads.

Why should he care? He's quitting anyway. It's like getting arrested for committing suicide.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCO
But then... if you expect an MMO to act on your ideas in 19.5 days.... well... good luck with your future choice.
^ This. I'm not overly thrilled with STO either right now, but to expect action on suggestions made in 20 days with ANY MMO is unrealistic at best, particularly one that's transitioning to a new business model.
Closed Thread