Lt. Commander
# 21
10-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Damn, why are you guys so mean to Kas lol. She is my favorite character!
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
Why do people in the Star Trek community hate Voyager so much? It's got such a bad rep and i cant understand why???!! Yes, there were a few badly written episodes but ive never had a problem with the acting. Infact, i think those actors did a tremendous job working the 15+ hours everyday behind a camera, learning lines, make up, not getting much time with the families. Oh and by the way...this thread is supposed to be in Ten Forward.
Neelix and the voice of "auntie" Janeway (I'm getting flashbacks of Remo Williams) made it really hard for me to watch them.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akalayus
The only thing I couldn't stand about VOY was whenever Tom Paris would open his mouth and bring up something from the 20th century, either in passing or as a solution to that week's problem. Okay, we get it, you're trying to connect with the audience. But seriously, it gets old real fast.
Did he do that any more than Riker would bring up Kirk's era? I just took Paris to be a 24th century Society for Creative Anachronism type, fixated on old cars and airplanes, not unlike how McCoy seemed obsessed with barbaric ancient medical practices.

I never found that too distracting,either. That bit in City on the Edge of Forever where McCoy is going on about needles and scalpels and sutures screams neurosis more than audience connection. The guy even kept some pretty twisted surgical tools on display in Sickbay. I just took it that he was so traumatically terrified of industrial age doctors that he became a modern physician to confront his fears.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-18-2011, 04:47 AM
First off , I'm just finishing Voyager again , and I have to say that you have a lot to look forward to .
The show starts off pretty slow , but reaches a good tempo / momentum in Season 3 , and if you ever think about quitting before hand , pick up at the finale of Season 3 "Scorpion , part 1" .

That's not to say that the show does not have it's share of clunkers , aaaand maybe some of the casting was not the best , but those afe offset by some very good casting choices (the doctor , Seven) that end up stealing the show a bit .
I also agree with the critics who claim that a "reset button" existed and in every ep Voyager looked brand new .

Lastly , I've found that I enjoyed the show much more now (in my 30's) than I did when it originally aired .
Now , all the talk about food (+Neelix & Kes) didn't annoy me as much . I also stopped viewing Tuvok as "not-Spock" , and apparently developed a "Janeway filter" -- so her voice annoyed me a lot less .
I still think that Robert Beltran (Chakotey) was the weakest link in the terms of acting (Tom Paris may come off as annoying and arrogant at first , but it takes acting to be able to be like that) , yet even Mr.Beltran got to shine in a very few eps .

Hope you'll enjoy the ride !
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
So much hate and (some) love, yet so little mention of the greatest aspect of Voyager, the EMH.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
Lastly , I've found that I enjoyed the show much more now (in my 30's) than I did when it originally aired .
Now , all the talk about food (+Neelix & Kes) didn't annoy me as much . I also stopped viewing Tuvok as "not-Spock" , and apparently developed a "Janeway filter" -- so her voice annoyed me a lot less .
I guess I'll have to give it a second go too. Even Wesley annoyed me lot less than he used to.

Quote:
So much hate and (some) love, yet so little mention of the greatest aspect of Voyager, the EMH.
Too bad photonic lifeforms are so common in STO. Rescuing them from Hirogen training facilities and killing thousands of Hirogen on the way, really?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Voyager is such a mixed show.

Seasons 1 - 3 were kinda lame, but starting from S3-ep26 and onwards, the show becomes one of the best in the franchise. Seriously, if you can't bear to watch Seasons 1 and 2, I'd suggest starting at 3 (you don't miss anything good anyway) and enjoy some of the best Trek yet.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockonator View Post
...for the first time, and I have to say the acting is quite bad. Lol. Quite a bit 'worse' than TNG. Lol.

I haven't watched all of TNG yet, only about 3/8ths the episodes. Of course since it is Star Trek I am hooked lol.

Does anybody else of experiences regarding the Saga they wish to share, or any thing that you can relate to you gameplay in STO!?
Voyager is my favorite actually....

And to be honest, if you actually bother to watch the whole series you'll notice that it gets better as it goes along, the begining season was iffy acting-wise for a few episodes, but hey, that was when it was all starting up. Frist episode of TNG, the French captain surrendered.... :p

Plus....Voyager has The Doctor !!!
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
Why do people in the Star Trek community hate Voyager so much? It's got such a bad rep and i cant understand why???!! Yes, there were a few badly written episodes but ive never had a problem with the acting. Infact, i think those actors did a tremendous job working the 15+ hours everyday behind a camera, learning lines, make up, not getting much time with the families. Oh and by the way...this thread is supposed to be in Ten Forward.
I've seen two main issues raised with Voyager:
1. They tended to take they mystery out of long standing favorites (the Q, and the Borg).
2. Captain Janeway wasn't a very popular character. Reports vary regarding how much role sexism plays in that.

All the other stuff like bad acting, poorly defined characters, redundant plots, is more true of the early episodes, and I think primarily a result of early Voyager co-existing with more mature DS9 (compare any first season to another show's 3rd or 4th and you'll see similar weaknesses in the new show).

Personally I liked Voyager overall, but looking back I think they were the start of the decline in overall quality that led to Enterprise, Nemesis, and the JJ Trek movie. I don't know how much of it is the writers vs producers, but there have been some pretty bad plot choices made in recent trek canon. If you imagine the trek series quality vs time charted as a bell curve, Voyager would be just to the right of the peak.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
I found the acting in Babylon 5 to be better........