Lt. Commander
Hi,

I noticed on the "Star Trek Online Discussion" forums that some people have had their email address's leaked somehow but I didn't see any more info on this problem and was wondering if anyone had any news. I can't reply to the post on that part of these forums as I don't have access (unsure why and the tickets I raised on both my accounts have not been answered for over a week (how long are the forum admin queues atm?) hence posting in here instead of replying to the other post)

I have also hit this problem. I have only used a particular email address to register for this game, never sent from this email address nor have I told anyone else about it nor has it been used for any other purpose than receiving emails from Cryptic yet I am receiving lots of spam on it. It feels to me that someone has somehow obtained a bunch of email address that people have used to register with star trek online and I wanted to figure out what happened or if anyone else had more info on this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I highly doubt cryptic would do this as it would put them in a bad position and loose thier playerbase if its constant.

Spam in email is a daily issue (non from cryptic), but not one to worry a bout too much, I get spam in all my email accounts, just delete them, only open from who you know and disable headers.

Been here since beta and have not had any issues in regards to account data.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
I highly doubt cryptic would do this as it would put them in a bad position and loose thier playerbase if its constant.

Spam in email is a daily issue (non from cryptic), but not one to worry a bout too much, I get spam in all my email accounts, just delete them, only open from who you know and disable headers.

Been here since beta and have not had any issues in regards to account data.
I am aware that spam is a problem, I am more concerned though how, of all my, over 100 email address's I use, the one registered at star trek online is one of only 2 that have had been sent spam (I am very careful about my email address, creating a new one each time I wish to deal with a new company). I was hoping to find out how that email address got leaked, I also doubt that Cryptic would have sold them, but somehow my star trek online address got leaked, and judging from posts in other forums it makes me wonder if a chunk of star trek online email address were obtained by some nefarious means.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpn_Rogers
over 100 email address's I use
Over 100 e-mail addresses, all created for separate games, none used for anything really important(sending/receiving personal e-mails) and you're actually worried about spam?

Kick on a spam filter, ramp it up so tight that unless it's a cryptic sanctioned e-mail it gets deleted and call it a day.

As for having over 100 e-mails... What the ****?! Seriously, paranoid much? People this paranoid, don't go online.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2011, 01:02 AM
I use a Exclusive email account for STO and nothing has ever popped up in the Spam section...

But remember there are programs out there that churn out emails per nano secound to random accounts, you could have been hit, and that data stored and then used as a definte hit.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynShaufer
Over 100 e-mail addresses, all created for separate games, none used for anything really important(sending/receiving personal e-mails) and you're actually worried about spam?

Kick on a spam filter, ramp it up so tight that unless it's a cryptic sanctioned e-mail it gets deleted and call it a day.

As for having over 100 e-mails... What the ****?! Seriously, paranoid much? People this paranoid, don't go online.
Not all the email addresses were for Games, some were used for forums registered for, some for when I place an order with someone.

I am not worried by spam per-se, I created this many email accounts so that I could determine, when I get spam, where the address was leaked from, since I have never sent any mails from this account I assume, that somewhere, my details were obtained and my first assumption was that they were obtained from cryptic, hence my post here.

It's not about being paranoid it's about being able to know where spam leaks from and making it easier to filter out - creating a new ruile for this was trivial, using message header tags, the point of my post was that I wanted to discover how my details were obtained from Cyptic. Also creating a new mail address is instant if you own the domain and have a catch all inbox.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDarter
I use a Exclusive email account for STO and nothing has ever popped up in the Spam section...

But remember there are programs out there that churn out emails per nano secound to random accounts, you could have been hit, and that data stored and then used as a definte hit.
That is true and is certainly something I considered as a possible cause. Thanks for the reply though, this is the sort of reply I was hoping to receive, thoughts and ideas on how my details were obtained.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I want to add my name to the list of people who believe Cryptic allowed my email address to fall into spammer hands.

Like the OP, I have a domain name and I use a unique email address for everything I sign up for. I started this over 10 years ago, primarily to track spam. The email address I used for this game is the only email address I currently receive spam at. Nobody else knows this email address (so my "friends" couldn't have signed me up for anything). And, even tho I never sign up on random sites for "free" ****, I most certainly would have used a unique email address if I had...

Way to go cryptic...one more way you've let us down. Pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Same as the above poster, i have over 200 unique email accounts and i create unique email addresses for each site/service i signup for.

Yesterday i received spam to an email account i created for Champions Online (long time since i used that) so i googled and found this thread. Today i am now receiving junk mail on another email account i created for StarTrek Online too.

This is without doubt something a company like Cryptic needs to acknowledge, investigate and inform it's customers and players about ASAP!!!

It goes without saying, but out of my 200 active email accounts, i am only receiving spam on those linked to Crypics games.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpn_Rogers
That is true and is certainly something I considered as a possible cause. Thanks for the reply though, this is the sort of reply I was hoping to receive, thoughts and ideas on how my details were obtained.
While i concede the email addresses in question do contain abbreviations of said games titles, i also prefix and postfix said abbreviation with my own format making a randomized address generator, even one that is purely targeting Cryptic game customers for BMW offers lol, incredibly unlikely.

If companies weren't held to some standard and to some accountability with peoples information you'd be receiving junk mail, junk phone calls, junk emails, junk text messages and probably new and unimagined junk advertisements all day, every day, and everyone would know everything about you.

I've had many email accounts over the years and i got tired of having to delete them and give out new email addresses to friends and family because i was sick of receiving hundreds of spam emails a day. The fact i have 200 email accounts may seem silly to you, but to me it's a convenience.

More to the point, the fact my disposable email accounts have started receiving spam is of no matter to me, i can delete said account and never think about Cryptic again. Even if they also leaked all my passwords, i could care less, i never use the same one for a site either. What's more concerning to me is if they've got the email accounts from some Cryptic central database, what about my credit card information, actual house address, my other personal information cryptic may have stored in that same database. THAT is why this is serious, not because of spam, although that is bad enough for some explanation alone.