Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Cryptic/Perfect World operate in the U.S. and E.U so cannot legally sell or share your e-mail address and other personal information without first asking you.

There are many ways a black hat user could gain access to your e-mail address.

E-mail generators, they generate lists of e-mail addresses containing certain combinations of words, letters, symbols etc, storing them for later use. They have massive botnets churning out this information.

Your system/account or a system/account connected to you in some way (A friend’s Facebook account for example.) has been compromised.

Data mining/trawling, people use automated programs to search forums, websites etc for e-mails and other information they can use.

In the early years of the Internet if you received spam e-mails then it's almost certain the privacy of you or someone close to you had been compromised but nowadays spam is just apart of life.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchinghair
Cryptic/Perfect World operate in the U.S. and E.U so cannot legally sell or share your e-mail address and other personal information without first asking you.

There are many ways a black hat user could gain access to your e-mail address.

E-mail generators, they generate lists of e-mail addresses containing certain combinations of words, letters, symbols etc, storing them for later use. They have massive botnets churning out this information.

Your system/account or a system/account connected to you in some way (A friend’s Facebook account for example.) has been compromised.

Data mining/trawling, people use automated programs to search forums, websites etc for e-mails and other information they can use.

In the early years of the Internet if you received spam e-mails then it's almost certain the privacy of you or someone close to you had been compromised but nowadays spam is just apart of life.
Already ruled out all those possibilities.

If i had an email address in this form sto@myemail.com or champions@myemail.com it may be believable that an intelligent spam bot could generate and try those addresses, but when your address is in similar format to ###champ###@subdomain.myemail.com then the idea that it was randomly generated holds no water. Especially as two different accounts were hit in a couple of days and others are reporting the same issue here.

If my system account was compromised, and presume all they wanted to do is junk mail me, then i'd expect junk mail on the other odd hundred email addresses too. The accounts in question were used purely for registration in STO and Champions Online and were not used to receive emails on. They were never handed out to anyone to use or to email, or were any emails sent from those accounts. The accounts were essentially created and thrown away and never used except only for the brief time i used them to login to the games.

Never used on a website/forum/or anything other than STO and Champions Online.

"In the early years of the Internet if you received spam e-mails then it's almost certain the privacy of you or someone close to you had been compromised but nowadays spam is just apart of life."

I rarely if ever receive any "unsolicited" spam due to methods previously mentioned. The moment i do receive a spam message i look at which address it was sent to see which company is not to be trusted with my information in future. The fact two separate accounts used on games for this one company were both junk mailed at the same time make me believe a major data breach has occurred and they're wanting to brush it under the rug, or are not yet aware and need to be made aware their servers/database/network has been compromised and customers email addresses are now being spammed.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
As I commented in another thread like this (which has just gotten more noticeable since F2P), no Cryptic nor PWE has sold your email addresses, nor have they been hacked (considering if all hackers took was the email address I'd be happier than a clam if that happened :p)

As I and many have also said, spam is a way of internet life now a days. It's sad, but true. ShadowDarter hit the nail on the head, programs now just randomly spout out email names and hope for a hit. If it hits, they take it and woosh that be that.

I have gotten the BMW email on 1 of 4 emails tied to gaming accounts here (all on purchased accounts for family members...yay having family in game ), the one that did was a live.com addy. No other accounts got it, so I doubt it was from here.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi Askray,

Thank you for responding to this matter, i am happier now that you're at least aware of the reports. Just please make sure you look in to the matter properly before dismissing suspicions. I'm a 30yr old professional software developer with nearly 20 years of internet under my belt, so the ways, means, motives and techniques for generating spam are well within my understanding.

I still find it incredibly unlikely that 2 email accounts used solely for Cryptic games can be hit in a matter of days while hundreds of others i have remain unaffected. I don't get spam, at all. Spam on these Cryptic accounts is not actually, every day spam as usual, it is an anomaly to me. I haven't seen spam like this in the 4 years since using this multi account per service email setup.

Anyway, glad you're aware of it, just hope i am wrong.

I am a fan of cryptic games and hope i'll be playing one again in the future. Keep making great games!
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-03-2012, 03:56 AM
I've also got a unique address for STO using my own domain and I've started to get SPAM as well. Like others, I use unique email addresses online when I sign up for things, and I'm only getting spam at three out of about 150. I think with the reports we are getting here it is obvious that this is more than random spammers guessing email addresses.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I found the below after digging around some spam mail i got .. it says opt-in and its been 2 years so I cant say for certain if I clicked some subscription thing or not .. but the spam was about guitars and amps, not really gaming related is it ..

Source Information for your Email Address Information
Optin Status: Opted In
Email Address: my_STO@email.com
First Name: my_alias
Email Type: not specified, defaulted to MIME
Date and time signed up: July 26, 2010 at 7:19:16 PM (PST)
A description of how your email address was obtained: Champions Online or Star Trek Online website
Company Contact Information
Email Address: atari@reply.digitalriver.com
Phone Number: 800-310-2850
Mailing Address: 417 Fifth Ave. New York, NY 10016
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
I also received spam email addressed to my STO mail-address. Since I have my own domainname, like some others in this thread, I've set it up in such a way that anything that ends with @mydomain.whatever and that hasn't been registered as a mail-address for some other purpose, ends up in my main mailbox. So when I register on a website, I can include the name of the website / service in the mail address I register with.

Today I got a mail from some music website trying to sell their stuff. No idea who they are or why they have this mail address, but there's no doubt about it that it is the address I used to register my STO account with and nothing else.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
likewise, I have received the same email. Since I have less interest in playing guitars than the queen of England, I thought it was pretty weird.

Sure, just another coincidence with my account being hacked monday morning?
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-16-2012, 01:54 AM
And the culprit has been revealed... I got this mail earlier:

Quote:
Dear Registered Atari User:

You may have received an e-mail from Atari earlier this week with an advertisement related to “Hello Music” guitars. This e-mail was sent to you by Atari in error and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. We respect and abide by our privacy policy and your information has not been compromised.

From time to time, you may receive email from Atari or from third parties that is relevant and important. Regrettably, this week's earlier third party email was issued in error to many of you and we've taken measures to ensure that this does not happen again. We appreciate our users and fans and look forward to sharing more information about our upcoming game releases soon!

- Atari
Atari messing up.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consequator View Post
Company Contact Information
Email Address: atari@reply.digitalriver.com
This.

I also noticed a recent uptick in spam that's on my email from Atari. It's been annoying enough for me especially since Cryptic is no longer owned by Atari, that I opted-out of Atari's email distribution list. I haven't been getting anything since. Other than those Atari emails, I haven't been getting anything of note on the email I have registered here.

Did you create an account while Cryptic was still owned by Atari? Did you have opt-in to updates and other spam selected?