Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Specific skills
11-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Since the new skill revamp, my friends have been talking on how they will miss specializing into a specific ship.

As it is now I can actually agree with both sides of this. All of your starfleet ships have the same universal control interfaces when you get right down to it. The only real difference is that they all have their own unique handling .. well parameters I suppose you could say.

Now being that you want people to play for longer, and having really neat tasks and goals and all..

It seems logical to perhaps give the various classes of ships some sort of progression as you use them, you become better at handling that ship type. Now to be honest things like time in that ship just won't work, neither will distance traveled really. Just plain too many ways you can get around that. Honestly probably need to do damage done with a certain ship type and you get like up to oh 5% more damage or something.

Now when I thought about this idea the whole thing sounded alot like what accolades allready do, with their passive buffs. But it also seems that it might have been neat to have it shown in the progress bars up on top like the diplomatic one.

Honestly I don't know what to think of all this and just wanted to through it at the community to see what others thought of it. Maybe patch up some of those hard feelings people are having from not being able to specialize in their specific ships anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Ya, I believe having some form of ship class buff that you get while using that specific class of ship would be nice. Even if it was in a form of accolade or something. It would be neat if it was more like a Commendation, where you do either so many kills, so much damage, or have that ship as your active ship for so long to get higher tiers or all three. It would be neat if at certain tiers you got titles (example Basic Cruiser Captain)
It would give me another goal which would keep me playing longer.

It does seem "Logical" for a captain to get used to the specific strengths and weaknesses of the ship they fly the most and find ways to fix those weaknesses.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I suggested for ages that Cryptic add in ship traits ages ago, to make ships more than just BOFF slots and turn rates.

For example, the Sovereign and Defiant would be heavier armored (with standard Ablative armor), but the Galaxy and Prometheus would have higher power levels due to their stronger warp cores (going on the assumption warp core size = greater power output).

This also makes room for the remaining canonical ships that each have their own twists. More Power, faster innate speed and manuverability, multple weapon platforms, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Well Mainly for game balance you just can't have ships that are so much better then the others.

But to put it into a more technical view, those ships have a larger warp core because that power is actually used to provide the same shield strengths and hull durability then that of a smaller ship. All of that equipment just takes up more and more power the bigger you go. Not to mention Cryptic has allready done something along the same lines your talking about, the cruisers do get their own unique power levels.

The hull armor is a console upgrade currently on STO, but there is not going to be any ship specific training.
The original idea I was more so thinking, was to let the players captain somewhat learn how to better handle the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-16-2011, 09:49 AM
I never said ships being better than others, I said they have more uniqueness among them than just BO slots.

And Captain's shouldn't affect their ships but their crew. After all, Kirk and Picard never was directly responsible for Scotty or Geordie's improving the Warp Core, it was them that improved it. So if anything by you're argument, it should be BO traits than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I suppose so. But to keep things moving and all... The captain isn't responsible for what their crew does at every instance of a battle. But its the small things that this said captain has learned and drilled into their crew to be just ever so much better at what they do with that particular vessel.

Essentially the same thing as running combat drills once and awhile to get your crew better with their response times and whatever. More specifically is the fact that each ship would handle differently, so these drills would essentially make it handle better for you over time.