Lt. Commander
# 11
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
If I'm a subscriber and I level three toons to VA in one month, I should get my pick of three of those VA ships the token used to be good for. 400CP/Mo will not cover one toon to pick a ship, much less two or more, for many months. I call that a limitation.
The one decent thing though, is once you unlock the ship, it is unlocked acrossed your account.

(Although that is the way it has always been.)
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii View Post
"Destinii" has two i's... Book him, Dan-O!
"Gah'dahmmit! Ah've been foiled again!

And I would have got away with it if it was for that pesky Destinii kid!

LOL

I saw that and I was like Doh! Hahaha... Apparently I need glasses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
Could you link this post. I have been trying to find a dev talking about the locked story progression for some time now...
Sure, here ya go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
...I agree with the posters that said that the non-skippable, linear episodes are bad. I hate that, too. Will it be changed this week? No. But we'll be looking for a good way to get that feeling better before we go to Holodeck...
Linky Goodness: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3806497
(I updated the OP with the link, too.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaf View Post
The one decent thing though, is once you unlock the ship, it is unlocked acrossed your account...
My example was if I had more than one VA toon to put in a ship. If each got their own VA1 token, I could immediately put them in different ships. The stipend would let me get one ship unlocked for all the characters in four months, but it would be the same ship, and only if they were of the same faction. If even one of those toons was KDF, I'd need to wait at least another four months. I'm waiting eight months to unlock what I used to be able to do instantly before, with more variety/choice.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Additional things:

The "emblem items" are now BoP instead of BoE.
The Cov Mk X Cap 3 is not available at K7 anymore.
The "original" Borg set items which are currently easy to get (one STF run each) will become significantly more expensive and time-consuming to acquire.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
You can't really contribute the DOff system to Free-to-play because it was supposed to be part of Season 4 and just didn't get done. That probably explains why it's the one system coming with F2P that people are generally happy with.

Someone pointed out in game that the 8k refine limit was probably to keep people from cornering the C-Point market simply because they had the time or patience to grind for a lot of ore. Not to mention that once we go live all our current emblems and badges will be converted. You could buy up a lot of C-Points on the market with 500k refined dilitium...and some people will have the means to have that much.

IF, and I say IF, this is the reason for the cap on refining....why not just put a cap on the amount of C-Points you can trade in a day. Not sale, but buy from the market? Would, in my opinion, be a much better way of controlling these people who want to corner the market to drive prices up or whatever.

Cryptic is getting their money either way, and it won't gate the content of the game so severely for those who don't time to grind out their ore everyday. I know that I often get the bulk of my playing in on weekends, and like the OP said, if I spend 10 hours gaining ore I should be able to spend it immediately, or at the very least refine it.

If I gain 80k ore on a weekend and have to hope I can find time during my busy week to jump in game and refine it, it's going to slow me down far worse that it should.

I agree with most of the Original Post.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't include the DOFF system as part of F2P because that was supposed to happen regardless and really has nothing to do with F2P.

By and large the F2P conversion has turned out to be absolute ****. I'm starting to understand why DStahl left, since it seems that PW is intent on giving existing players the shaft. I hope they'll come to their senses and make some changes to prove me wrong, but right now that's what it looks like. The experience for a current subscriber going to F2P should be fairly seamless. Instead the fact is the experience is getting much worse.

Dilithium was sold as a way to consolidate currencies. Instead it's being used as a way to milk more money. At this point the addition of dilithium has turned out to be an absolute negative. It's easier to deal with a bunch of different currencies than pay the exorbitant rates now being charged for items and ships. The clear message is that we need to just buy and craft everything we need now because after F2P it's going to be 10 times harder.

I feel that all of these changes are frankly disrespectful to current subscribers who either coughed up the money for an LTS or who subbed all this time. If they want to convince us that they have any sort of appreciation for our loyalty then they need to give us a lot more in "gold" to counter these highly negative changes.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Additional things:

The "emblem items" are now BoP instead of BoE.
The Cov Mk X Cap 3 is not available at K7 anymore.
The "original" Borg set items which are currently easy to get (one STF run each) will become significantly more expensive and time-consuming to acquire.
Oh, I didn't catch that the "Emblem Gear" is BoP now. Which makes sense since it's now linked to the time currency Dilithium. Can't have any player giving/selling their time to another player, now can we? I wonder what was the point of removing the Cap3 shield... (?!?) Guess I better stock up now.

Yeah... I want to like Gozer's plan for STFs... That you get drops, but if you don't get what you want you can save up and buy what you want... The problem is the drop rate for the actual good stuff isn't guaranteed... You might only get a "throw away" Mk IX mine launcher that you don't need or want or has anything to do with the Borg Set. And the "save up" prices are still way to high. I think I broke down that you'd have to run through the STF missions upwards of 540 times to get one of each of all six sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by staalker View Post
You can't really contribute the DOff system to Free-to-play because it was supposed to be part of Season 4 and just didn't get done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I don't include the DOFF system as part of F2P because that was supposed to happen regardless and really has nothing to do with F2P.
I don't disagree that it was originally talked about to be part of the initial S4 release. But then so were many other features (like, oh I dunno, the Featured Episodes, the new KDF Academy, new tutorials, etc.), heck even the Gorn Remake, which was originally sold as a S3 feature, got spun up to cover for the missing "Big KDF S4 Changes". This game has, since Beta apparently, been full of missed deadlines, push backs, retellings, etc.

No matter what it's origins were, the DOff System is being appropriated into the STO F2P Relaunch, and it's a great add to the game. I just have this little fear that They will roll the F2P on their own schedule whether DOff is ready or not, possibly delaying DOff... I'm willing to admit it's an unfounded fear, but one I can't shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staalker View Post
...I agree with most of the Original Post.
Thanks!

Quote:
...By and large the F2P conversion has turned out to be absolute ****. I'm starting to understand why DStahl left, since it seems that PW is intent on giving existing players the shaft. I hope they'll come to their senses and make some changes to prove me wrong, but right now that's what it looks like. The experience for a current subscriber going to F2P should be fairly seamless. Instead the fact is the experience is getting much worse.
I agree with you Nagorak. I really really want to keep hope that things will turn out alright. I know some of the Devs clearly are working hard to make some cool stuff (Heretic's DOff system, for example), and I hate lumping that kind of effort into the Craptastic feelings I have about STO's future, but Cryptic is leaving me with less and less to be positive about with each Tribble update.

It's all so especially troubling when I see what Cryptic has/is doing with CO. That F2P System appears to be working wonderfully. Why do different?

Quote:
Dilithium was sold as a way to consolidate currencies. Instead it's being used as a way to milk more money. At this point the addition of dilithium has turned out to be an absolute negative. It's easier to deal with a bunch of different currencies than pay the exorbitant rates now being charged for items and ships. The clear message is that we need to just buy and craft everything we need now because after F2P it's going to be 10 times harder.
Back that the SD Comic Con Meet the Devs, when Jesse talked about the fact that he was working on an Economy Consolidation for November-ish release we all thought it was going to be wonderful! How ignorant and naive we were, eh? Makes me sad to think he would have known back then what was coming...

Quote:
I feel that all of these changes are frankly disrespectful to current subscribers who either coughed up the money for an LTS or who subbed all this time...
I have this feeling... It's only a theory with nothing to back it up. But I wonder if part of Cryptic's money problems are because there are "too many" LTS members who's subscription value has been used up. They've passed the "break even" point (which, for example, the people who paid $300 would reach at their Magnificent Veteran Reward, 600 day (20 month)).

All these subscription assets they had are used up, but these players are still hanging around, using resources and demanding content, yet are now (financially speaking) liabilities to the bottom line.

I can picture a lot of Star Trek Fan(atic)s jumped right on board with Lifetimes right at launch. Was it all LTS? No, surely, and obviously people bought their's long after. I'm only thinking that a large enough sum to be felt are at or near liability status, and all LTS eventually turn negative. I wonder if Cryptic sees that once F2P comes there simply won't be enough new subs (LTS or otherwise).

How to fix? Make all players pay. Sub or not, you gate them so much as to steer them to that C-Store. The fact that you can pick-up still-asset LTS and regular mo-to-mo subs with the catch-all net of (Not So)MircoTransactions only sweetens the pie. Brilliant.

Edit: I've re-written some of the OP, specifically about the new economy.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Oh, I didn't catch that the "Emblem Gear" is BoP now. Which makes sense since it's now linked to the time currency Dilithium. Can't have any player giving/selling their time to another player, now can we? I wonder what was the point of removing the Cap3 shield... (?!?) Guess I better stock up now.
Indeed. Now _every_ major transaction between players will involve acquiring C-Points.

Want to help your fleet crafter get Dilithium? He has to buy the Dilithium for C-Points from you (you can then gift it back to him if you're nice). Want to trade Dilithium-bought gear? Not possible. You can only sell people your Dilithium.

The C-Store becomes an integral part of the game's economy.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

The C-Store becomes an integral part of the game's economy.
And that is the point of "free" to play.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
And that is the point of "free" to play.
Yeah, but most people didn't realize that also meant "free" of fun or "free" of developer integrity.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
Reserved for additional changes...
Well i dont mean any disrespect but what there going to say is well he is no longer with the company and there not responsible for his comints, so i bet every one quoting what he say means nothing to them.