Lt. Commander
# 1 Path to F2P Dev Blog #14
10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
What's changed about crafting on the Tribble F2P test server? Stephen let's us know in today's update on The Path to F2P.

Link to the Article
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry but this blog shows you have no grasp of how or why people craft in this game. Fleet crafters are going to be non existant. Some players want nothing to do with crafting in a game but they will buy from people who like to craft, with these changes that is no longer possible. I have had high hopes for this game since the start, but now it's starting to look very grim indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEPH
The basics of crafting have not been altered.
Except that now to get anything of value every character must craft it themselves since there is no way to trade dilithium to a crafting character or a single crafter in a fleet. Until the ability to trade dilithium between players or characters is implemented on a later pass (hint, hint) the basics have been altered.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Please let us know what you think of the crafting changes by posting on the Tribble forums.
You asked for it: Just cut to the chase and take crafting out of game, cause that's what this update does.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
The two above me are onto something. This is going to be a problem, devs. I'm a fleet crafter, and I'm not crazy about this change.

Also, can we please get MORE items unique to crafting? Like, a LOT more and of greater variety?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
The standard gear that can be crafted using a Dilithium contribution is generally identical to the gear found in stores for sale using only Dilithium, but the Dilithium cost when crafting is much lower.
Uhm, from what I've been hearing you pay about 30-60% of the store cost in Dilithium when crafting. Is this really what you mean by 'much lower?'

Quote:
Thus, players that put the time into collecting samples and improving their crafting skill can get the same gear at a substantially lower cost.
But crafters are also supporting their fleets. Are you positing crafting as being entirely a solo experience? Or is Cryptic/PWI expecting people to buy C-points so they can purchase extra dilithium so they can build gear for their fleet?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Crafting for others is finished. Even crafting for my own alts is made more difficult. You should not include a non-tradeable component in crafting - especially one with an indirect real $ value. This is a terrible change, please remove dilitium from crafting.

With the current pricing I am likely to be better off to ignore crafting altogether and just earn a little more dilithium to buy items outright - it would likely be quicker than finding the right samples.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Wow..what a bunch of crap. Dilthium to craft even marked items. I can understanding making it harder to craft high end gear. But to put an economy cost onto crafting is ridiculous. The whole point of crafting is to get gear just as good as those bought through the grinding stores without that type of game play grind. People who can craft grind just as many anomalies as people who grind missions for dilithium. You want to make it harder, OK.. I can see that, crafting is a little easy right now. But don't add dilithium, change the recipes. Make it so you need multiple tier data for higher tiered items. That way crafters can't just farm B'tran to get end-game gear, they have to farm all over the place.
Lt. Commander
No. Just no.

Requiring Refined Dilithium to craft higher-tier components at all basically cuts away the crafting system to a majority of crafters as many are dedicated crafter-only characters who, and let me stress this, have no desire, or drive, to earn Refined Dilithium to begin with.

Its hard enough that dedicated crafters must grind Energy Credits to buy materials from the Exchange, rely on other players in their fleet to supply them, or actually participate in parts of the game they do not want to participate in to begin with.

To add to this, the current costs of Refined Dilithium for crafting on Tribble are several levels above acceptable. There's no reason, at the current moment, to go through the entire crafting process when buying the wanted stuff on the R.Dilithium NPC store would be less hassle.

I have not once complained majorly about game changes you have placed in this game. The only few times I have were quickly fixed and quickly forgiven for such, which speaks already how quick you guys are able to fix problems like this. I even am willing to forgive the many multiple problems you have with content and the current Tribble setup of railroading the content in such a linear fashion. I am willing to forgive the massive problems with Dilithium conversion. I am even willing to forgive the fact that currently on Holodeck, its CHEAPER to buy/craft the top-tier stuff NOW before F2P hits.

This is the last straw, Cryptic. I have been an avid defender of your work, both CO and STO, and regularly purchase Cstore Points when I feel that you deserve it. I even bought a Lifetime account because I know it'll be a game I'd play for a long time.

You put this in, you've lost me as a customer, and a fan.

EDIT: Numbers:

Right now, it costs 30 Emblems to get a Emblem-based purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array. Now, compare this to Tribble, the cost of the R.Dilithium to craft a purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array is 15, 834. Going by the currently calculated Emblem-R.Dilithium conversion factor done by members of Jupiter Force, which is 336.128, which means at this conversion factor (336/1), it'll cost me in comparative Emblem cost 47.125 Emblems on R.Dilithium ALONE to craft the Purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array, NOT ADDING IN THE OTHER MATERIALS REQUIRED TO CRAFT THIS.

Quote:
HOLODECK:
30 Emblems for a Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array

CONVERSION FACTOR: (found by @Irish_Darkshadow of Jupiter Force)
336 RDil per Emblem (336/1)

TRIBBLE:
22,620 R.Dilithium for a Purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array
(22620 / 336 = 67.321)
67.321 Emblems worth to get the same item

Bringing this to crafting:
15,834 R.Dilithium cost for a crafted Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array (not including other materials)
(15,834 / 336 = 47.125)
47.125 Emblem's worth NOT INCLUDING OTHER MATERIAL COSTS to craft, INCLUDING THE LUCK-BASED RARE PARTICLE TRACES.
Even though the Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array has slightly better modifiers, that cannot explain why the hell I'm spending 17 more Emblem's worth on the R.Dilithium ALONE just to craft this, not counting the other materials.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
More of the game made more difficult no matter if you subscribed or not.

Cryptic, if you want to make this good for your existing customer base, then subscribers should be able to craft everything at ZERO Dilithium cost. And those items crafted by subscribers can only by traded and used BY subscribers.

Silver players should be locked out of crafting altogether or only allowed to craft Odd Mk'd Gear.

Thanks but no thanks.