Lt. Commander
# 11
10-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernevil
Stuff
Blue gear is *moderate*. Even mark gear is *moderate*.

The only things that should even consider having Dilithium, according to what they've said, would be purple gear - which is basically anything that takes rare traces.

To stack dilithium grind *above* the grind needed for rare traces is just garbage. Plus, the amount of Dilithium needed is also just way too high, considering everything else dilithium is going to be needed for. If they're tossing a diithium cost onto purples or whatnot, then those items should have their rare trace requirement removed. One or the other. Both is a real burden on anybody who wants to undertake crafting, honestly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-21-2011, 01:13 AM
I can understand the need to add Dilithium or some form of high end currency to high end gear, but not to anything under Mark X. I always found it strange that you could craft almost identical items that cost around 20-30 Emblems, the difference only being one stat change, i.e. Accuracy over Severity.

I don't mind one bit that Dilithium is required for crafting the best weapons, etc, it actually makes sense. At least to me. But to a Fleet, i can understand the outcry.

World of ********, not that i play this game any more, did a great move with Guild Perks. One of these Perks was a percentage of what a player earned through daily quests and so on, was also added to the Guild Coffers. I know Fleets in this game need a lot of love, but having some kind of system in place to allow for Dilithium to be acquired for a Fleet, without the need to ever pressure their members through donations/demands seems necessary. It would certainly go a long way to quell this recently uprising.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorval
Ore shuld be tradable!!! and donatable to the fleet bank!!

otherwise it would not fit into the economy.
the economy is made for the players to drive the communities and the individuals to exchaneg services and goods.

How then is the dilithium going to be part of the ECONOMY if it isnt tradable??

for more information check google or go to the nearst library in your area.
...way back when games were made to play, the economy was for the players.. now games are made too max out shareholder rl profit and the ingame economy has to serve this goal instead of funny gameplay...

I am also no friend of the crafting changes so far... lets see what they make out of it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Blue gear is *moderate*. Even mark gear is *moderate*.

The only things that should even consider having Dilithium, according to what they've said, would be purple gear - which is basically anything that takes rare traces.
Nope. You've misunderstood the entire system. Why do you think there are two Mks per tier? The lower Mk (odd Mks) has always been the cheap, vendor-available, moderate gear and the higher Mk (even Mks) have always been the drop-only or badge/mark/emblem-vendor-only gear. Both Mks per tier then also have a rarity - White/common is moderate, everything else is not.

This perspective is borne out with your first look at a Dilithium-based vendor in game: They sell the higher-Mk gear, with gear at every tier. The vendor next to them, who takes EC, sells the lower-Mk gear, with gear at every tier. EC for moderate gear, Dilithium for high-end gear. Do you need them to spell it out any clearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
To stack dilithium grind *above* the grind needed for rare traces is just garbage. Plus, the amount of Dilithium needed is also just way too high, considering everything else dilithium is going to be needed for. If they're tossing a diithium cost onto purples or whatnot, then those items should have their rare trace requirement removed. One or the other. Both is a real burden on anybody who wants to undertake crafting, honestly.
As I keep repeating, they're designing the game in a way that rewards playing the game for fun and punishes grinding. If you enjoy playing STO intrinsically, if you enjoy exploring, seeking out particles and traces, then do that. You will find it intrinsically rewarding to do so. AND, if you come back and do this thing every day (this thing you find fun, remember?), you'll also earn a little Dilithium every day, which you can use to get high-end gear.

Having high-end gear is not an end in itself. You want the high-end gear so you can play the game, right? Just ... with slightly better stats? Play the game. If you want the high-end gear to be better at PvP, come play PvP every day for the next two or three months - you'll have fun, doing what you like, and you gradually get better gear as you do. If you want high-end gear for playing the STFs, come play the STFs every day and you'll not only get Dilithium, but you'll gradually earn high-end gear specifically tailored for people who like to play STFs! Amazing! If you want high-end gear for exploring the universe and replaying the story missions... you guessed it, explore every day and you'll gradually earn all the high-end gear, without ever having to do something you don't enjoy doing; without ever having to grind a thing.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therinwhitten View Post

If you go too far on dilithium on crafting you will cause alot of people not to craft at all and play this only like once a month. Most people stay in MMO's in the end for two things:
Community ( Fleet actions and comradarie)
Competition / Cooperation (Simple PVP and "Veteran" Players helping out)

If you do crafting this way it will killing Fleet crafting and take an important element out of Fleet operations, which is one LESS thing to keep players here.
Just my two cents but viable for sure. Please, I hope you guys looked at the repercussions of making a value too blanket.
I have to agree with your point when it comes to fleet crafting. It feels as if Cryptic gave it no consideration whatsoever what it is that makes people craft in the first place.

They're focussing too much on balancing the new economy and thinking too little of the impact such a change has on the community itself.

I really enjoy crafting and I like helping out fleet members who need an item crafted, I even got up a second crafter on the Klingon side so that I'd truly be able to craft all the items in the game. I also really enjoy crafting items for my alts and helping them gear up faster, so I'm not frustrated or slowed down in my leveling when I get to a new rank. Now, however, all this comes nearly instantly to a complete halt.

I might still be able to craft some items for alts, but once my dilithium runs dry I don't see myself getting a lot of it back quickly, since I absolutely hate grinding daily missions.

With the fleet we have an entire division focussed on crafting for the fleet, they are now basically without a job since you can't trade refined dilithium directly.

If Cryptic does want to go through with this then refined dilithium should at least become a tradeable resource.

The current economy changes regarding crafting are having a really negative impact on the community of STO. It feels as if none of that has been considered.

Another reason I really hate this change is because it takes quite a lot of resources as it is to craft something. Currently we get a far too small discount compared to vendor items to make crafting itself worthwile.

I also already have two crafters, but being forced to have all my new alts level up crafting too is rediculous. Not to mention, I'm a Fed player who prefers to use Disruptor weapons, which happen to be Klingon weapons. Now I'm forced to grind dilithium on my Klingon to craft items for my Fed player.

People that prefer to play Fed, but don't have a Klingon player yet will now be forced to level up a Klingon and its crafting too. I don't see that going down well with a lot of people.

All things considered this has got to be the worst mistake Cryptic made so far in Tribble. A lot of good stuff is coming too, like the Doff system, but this is by far the worst change.

My solution for it all, make refined dilithium tradeable. You can only refine 8k of the stuff anyway, it shouldn't matter in whose pockets those 8k/ day end up at and it'll definitely make life on the players a whole lot easier.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Star Grind online?

You want gear for you for ship? Grind Dilithium

You want to outfit your cap and crew? Grind Dilithium

You want to craft items? Grind the stupid anolomy crap. Oh and grind dilithium.

Seriously? This is going to ruin the game for alot of people who don't have 10 hours a day to play the game or can't log in EVERYDAY. Some people have jobs and other commitments. This F2P may draw in new people but how many old players will be left? Basically giving us the shaft.

Thanks Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-21-2011, 02:27 AM
I am not with the dilithium crafting like 18000 just to get an Aegis set per a peice. Might as well not bother and just go for the brog STF stuff. This will pretty kill any crafting in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion79 View Post
I am not with the dilithium crafting like 18000 just to get an Aegis set per a peice. Might as well not bother and just go for the brog STF stuff. This will pretty kill any crafting in the game.
Also for someone new starting out when you hardly have dilithium which you will need for your next ship they are just going to give up!
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernevil
Nope. You've misunderstood the entire system. Why do you think there are two Mks per tier? The lower Mk (odd Mks) has always been the cheap, vendor-available, moderate gear and the higher Mk (even Mks) have always been the drop-only or badge/mark/emblem-vendor-only gear. Both Mks per tier then also have a rarity - White/common is moderate, everything else is not.
The dictionary I got my definition of 'moderate' from says "of medium quality". White gear is *not* medium quality. It's *low end* quality. Maybe Blues aren't "medium quality" but there does exist something between low and high quality, and that's green. They want to add dilithium to the crafting for some unknown reason, then we should at *least* be able to craft green gear (and green even mark gear) without needing dilithium.

I really don't think you'll find many who consider white items as 'moderate' gear. It's mostly vendor trash.

I also don't think you'll find very many who will consider green items (other than yourself based on your comments) to be 'high end gear', especially when compared to purple items (or even Mk X/XI/XII blues).
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Actually, in MMOs, items go aroudn like this :

White gear - strash to be sold to the vendors.
Green gear - low, plentiful . Abundant in game.
Blue gear - moderate, average. Most players should be able to get these with little trouble.
Purple gear - high, rare. You need to put effort in for this.

But with this new system , even green gear is hard to get!