Lt. Commander
It is a bit embarassing to write something like this since the majority of players consider ground combat to be a piece of cake since S4. I play on holodeck and I just started playing a month ago so all I know is S4 gameplay. The reason why I joined STO was the idea of playing a Sci-Fi game with space combat and ground/boarding scenarios. Oh and - of course - because it's Trek

I'm a Commander rank 6 or 7 right now (I think I just leveled up before logging off the last time XD) and I'm playing PvE exclusively, mostly alone. Not that I don't enjoy interaction with other players, I love having a chat with another captain onboard on his or hers ship and RP a bit, but for the most time being solo and explore the galaxy is what this game is about to me. Oh, and I really don't like the mess the game produces canon-wise, mixing all that stuff together. While I'm in favor of refitted vessels (it is war after all) I really don't like being on a mission together with a TOS-era crew and vessel. But that's not the point, I'm drifting... XD

Sooo... GROUND COMBAT:

At first I have to say it is not that I can't take it at all. I'm progressing quite fast through the game, at least I think so. The main issue I have on ground (combat) missions is that its simply not that fun.

At first, I tried a mixed team. My bridge crew consisting of an engineer, my security chief (tactical), 2 science (doctor and an "exposer") and myself (eng). My char and the science officers were equipped with exploit weapons while the other two supported with assault weapons. In the beginning my strategy was to pull enemy mobs into fortified positions/ambushes my crew and my engineer stuff provided further down the road. That worked quite well until recently. I know that different enemies require different tactics but the higher tier mobs like breen, romulans and remans tend to use a lot of AoE DoTs (plasma grenades etc.) that render my "bunkers" useless. So I created with lots of SF merits and too much BO skill points a second away team, RP-wise it was a Commando Squad of Starfleet Tactical officers (like those NPCs wearing the A05-uniforms. At first I was disappointed seeing the security-redshirts back in action but I realised that security still wears yellow but SF tactical is red. Makes sense, since it's war, isn't it? anyway...).

This second team was assault oriented - no more engineer-builds, just buffs and debuffs and mobile damage dealing. And this style of ground combat is very... well, it's a mess. People everywhere, shooting and eventually everyone drops dead - hopefully the other side. My main problem is that I really don't find a matching BO skill layout, I'm especially confused with those ensign-rank skills. Do they have a purpose in mid-game setups? Because skills dealing direct damage like grenades and mines are quite useless with rank I. I think so are the buffs, aren't they?

Oh, and is there a way to stop your crew to constantly use hypos and shield batteries even when they're NOT fighting?

Maybe you guys have some advice for ground combat missions, I'd much appreciate any suggestions I already read the "Ground combat guide" and I think I got the basics. Now I just need some ideas how to really pick skills which actually do something.

I'm a non-native speaker, so please be mercifull on grammar and spelling issues ^^
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Ground combat can be kind of annoying I actually use similar tactic's to what you have mentioned setting up ambushes and such one thing that seems to make a big difference is the spread of your troops typically I put down a medical generator preferably behind cover and place 2 of my troops at the edge of the effect spaced far enough to be unaffected by a single plasma grenade and do the same with a second team and shield generator if no cover is available I will sometimes place the cover shield in front of either the med or shield gen. For the most part I use turret's as a kind of distraction with the added bonus of dps typically they get placed so that if a enemy decides to attack them they start taking flanking damage from my boff's. Another useful consideration seems to be using generators as bait for some reason npc's seem to consider med gen's and quantum turrets as really high priority targets so they can occasionally be used to create a kind of gauntlet to take out the enemy.

Team wise currently I am a engineer I run 2 tac, 1 eng, 1 sci however I think that either 2 eng or 2 sci would be a much better group sci especially since there seems to be way to many things atm that just ignore shields and 1 healer doesn't seem to always be able to keep up while still set to attack mode.

Weapons wise it pretty much depends on what you like for my captain I tend to use a sniper rifle/ split beam and a pulsewave assault this works well with the ambush tactics for pulling and if you have a good spot you can take cover and pop out and nail a large group point blank. For my team it kind of varies dependent on what skills they have and such my healer/healers I tend to give something with a long range to keep them further back aside from that I switch depending on the situation if there seems to be lots of exposes going to waste I switch em up and visa versa. I'm not really sure about melee with boff's if they had the ability to switch weapons it could be nice without that tho I don't thing it would be that amazing

Honestly I would like to see mechanical's be more resistant to aoe specifically plasma and cold but you can re-summon em pretty fast which kinda makes up for it. I haven't faced many borg yet but the ones I have seemed to adapt insanely fast there is some engi ability that remodulate's that might help with this in addition to the replicator one it would be nice tho if the adaptation thing was more of a stacking thing tho where every hit with one energy type added a buff which fully adapted once it hit however many stacks instead of the way it seems to be a random high chance atm to simply adapt fully

Skills wise some of the more useful ones seem to be :

medical tricorder - in multiple ranks its a quick and fairly effective heal for your sci officer

vascular regenerator - seems to work fairly decent especially at rank 3

nanite health monitor - ..... it does seem to help but the long cooldown is kind of annoying compared to the others

phaser turret - handy for extra dps and distraction

shield recharge - i tend to use rank one just for emergencies and it seems to help with survivability a bit

reroute power to shields - with this and shield recharge my engineer's don't tend to die often at all + it can expose

quantum mortar - this thing fires bloody slow it seems to be fairly effective I would go phaser turret instead tho since the mortar misses alot

support drone - recently i tried this and though the cooldown is long it does seem pretty handy since it throws some useful buffs around

sweeping strikes - i kind of like this skill since it gives a expose and knockback chance regardless of weapon the only down side is this also causes you boff to occasionally get close to enemies you would rather they didn't get near

lunge - pretty much the same as sweeping strikes but with a exploit can be nice to have

motion accelerator - haven't got much of a opportunity to mess with this if it works like the captain one that can aoe negate stuns then it could be pretty handy in some cases

targeting optics - its not to bad typically up pretty often dosen't expose very often tho

overwatch - i am a big fan of anything that not only increases survival but also gives a chance to expose this also buffs multiple friendlies which is a win win in my view

grenades - I have messed with em a bit but they really don't seem that useful to me

draw fire - it tends to get the user killed so i don't really like it can be handy tho

suppressing fire - i haven't used this much either but it does seem kind of handy

Tac officer's seem to be the most annoying to pick abilities for since lots of there skills seem really situational and some are down right useless from what I have seen ie. stealth module

Rank one skills can defiantly be handy however they can also be fairly weak I tend to go for one that either exposes enemies, debuffs em or buffs my team, as for stopping them from using items I don't think so its defiantly rather annoying how fast they burn through em. I haven't been playing long so I haven't really been able to mess around much this may or may not help you they are mostly things I have noticed in that time.

heh I think I kind of went overboard there sorry bout the wall of text I hope you find something useful in there
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Yes, actually some of your ideas greatly helped me I didn't try it yet, but placing the cover shield before the generators is a great idea, never thought about that XD

As for the healing science, would you recommend medical tricorder in all variants or different kinds of healing? HoT vs. insta-heal, so to say.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-22-2011, 01:23 PM
i haven't really tested it much but i tend to take medical tricorder over vascular regenerator the rank 3 of both seem rather nice and you can get em both provided you can find someone to train medical tricorder rank 3
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-23-2011, 03:39 AM
I'll take a look at it

On my recent tests I performed much better in ground combat missions since I dumped the exposer science officer and replaced it with another TAC operative, a grenadier with photon grenades I+II and plasma grenades I. My main TAC also has photon grenades I. This build is not very trek, but the hail of destruction the permanent rain of grenades caused really beat the exposer science strategy...
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d+combat+guide

Most thorough guide I've seen on the boards. I've found it very helpful. I had fits with ground combat until I read this two or three times and season 4 came out.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
Oh, and is there a way to stop your crew to constantly use hypos and shield batteries even when they're NOT fighting?
I haven't found one other than taking the consumable items away from them and then giving them back right before the bossfight. Sometimes, my boffs will continue to burn weapons batteries even after I have ordered them to put their weapons away.

I think they sometimes get stuck in subroutines and can't break out unless something happens to kick off a new routine. I've seen my boffs perform CPR in rotation, one at a time, over and over again, even when all of us had been revived and there was no one left to be helped. They even continued during beamout.

If your boffs get 'stuck' in a routine that involves using a consumable item, I think they need something to knock them out of it -- like another fight.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VangarVega
It is a bit embarassing to write something like this since the majority of players consider ground combat to be a piece of cake since S4. I play on holodeck and I just started playing a month ago so all I know is S4 gameplay. The reason why I joined STO was the idea of playing a Sci-Fi game with space combat and ground/boarding scenarios. Oh and - of course - because it's Trek

I'm a Commander rank 6 or 7 right now (I think I just leveled up before logging off the last time XD) and I'm playing PvE exclusively, mostly alone. Not that I don't enjoy interaction with other players, I love having a chat with another captain onboard on his or hers ship and RP a bit, but for the most time being solo and explore the galaxy is what this game is about to me. Oh, and I really don't like the mess the game produces canon-wise, mixing all that stuff together. While I'm in favor of refitted vessels (it is war after all) I really don't like being on a mission together with a TOS-era crew and vessel. But that's not the point, I'm drifting... XD

Sooo... GROUND COMBAT:

At first I have to say it is not that I can't take it at all. I'm progressing quite fast through the game, at least I think so. The main issue I have on ground (combat) missions is that its simply not that fun.

At first, I tried a mixed team. My bridge crew consisting of an engineer, my security chief (tactical), 2 science (doctor and an "exposer") and myself (eng). My char and the science officers were equipped with exploit weapons while the other two supported with assault weapons. In the beginning my strategy was to pull enemy mobs into fortified positions/ambushes my crew and my engineer stuff provided further down the road. That worked quite well until recently. I know that different enemies require different tactics but the higher tier mobs like breen, romulans and remans tend to use a lot of AoE DoTs (plasma grenades etc.) that render my "bunkers" useless. So I created with lots of SF merits and too much BO skill points a second away team, RP-wise it was a Commando Squad of Starfleet Tactical officers (like those NPCs wearing the A05-uniforms. At first I was disappointed seeing the security-redshirts back in action but I realised that security still wears yellow but SF tactical is red. Makes sense, since it's war, isn't it? anyway...).

This second team was assault oriented - no more engineer-builds, just buffs and debuffs and mobile damage dealing. And this style of ground combat is very... well, it's a mess. People everywhere, shooting and eventually everyone drops dead - hopefully the other side. My main problem is that I really don't find a matching BO skill layout, I'm especially confused with those ensign-rank skills. Do they have a purpose in mid-game setups? Because skills dealing direct damage like grenades and mines are quite useless with rank I. I think so are the buffs, aren't they?

Maybe you guys have some advice for ground combat missions, I'd much appreciate any suggestions I already read the "Ground combat guide" and I think I got the basics. Now I just need some ideas how to really pick skills which actually do something.

I'm a non-native speaker, so please be mercifull on grammar and spelling issues ^^
As a ground pvper it is somewhat easyer for me to do ground than any other people in this game, first things first, you would want to buff up completely and constantly (aka if your a tact) because that gives you more damage power to kill thoes enemies, another thing is to make sure you are pressing the "Y" key or what ever your "Crew attack my target" is but a good hint is to bind that key to the one key "or what ever is your primary shooting key" aka /bind 1 petcommands_setAlltoownerattacktarget $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 0 now what this will do is when you have a target and hit 1 you will shoot and your bo's will also shoot your target taking him down quicker another thing is to have a good bo setup, i run with 2 healers, 1 eng 1 tact, and i havnt had any problems with this setup for a looong while, i set all my bo's like this, so good luck and happy hunting.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2011, 02:34 AM
I'd echo what cakuzma said and also for my own part, I tend to make sure my away team has a fair sprinkling of stun pistols.
If 2-3 of the team are carrying stun pistols and you're sure to do the "attack my target thing" the enemy spends most of the fight asleep
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I normally run ground missions with this team:

1 SCI healer, Expose weapon
1 SCI AoE attacker, Expose weapon
1 ENG turret builder/shield regenerator, Expose weapon (often the CRM 200 freezie cannon)
1 TAC with tons of weapon buffs, Exploit pistol -- with Integrated Targeting Armor and ideally a CrtHx2 endorsement on the pistol -- I like Caitians for this role, given their racial bonuses

I carry Exploit weapons, usually the best Sniper Rifle and Compression Pistol I can get.

I normally give TACs pistols or 'shotguns' because they tend to run up on enemies unless you restrain them with rally points. Since pistols and shotguns do more damage up close, you're taking advantage of the natural behavior of the TAC. The CrtHx2 endorsement and the Integrated Targeting Armor work together to boost the TACs chance of getting a critical hit on an enemy. If you're really vicious, give the tac an Antiproton weapon, which comes with an *additional* 2.5% CrtH chance to add to all the other chances; there's an Antiproton Compression Pistol you can get with Emblems that's ideal for this.

If I doubt that we can blast through the enemy mob in five seconds, I'll prep an ambush with rally points. SCIs in back, separated by at least 7-8 meters (to prevent grenades striking more than one Boff at a time). ENG and TAC in front, again, everyone separated by at least 7-8 meters if possible. Order the ENG to build their turrets in place. If you're an ENG, go to the TAC and build your turrets on *their* position as well.

Excellent. You have a strong and well-defended front line, plus an Expose-heavy supporting line in the rear. You are now ready to mess up some enemies.

Approach the enemy mob. Get just inside your preferred weapon's range and fire off something hurtful. Here's how I like to start:

TAC toon: thrown grenade, followed immediately with a buffed sniper shot
SCI toon: one or two AoE attacks
ENG toon: Orbital Strike, plus a sniper shot immediately after it hits (while they're all knocked down)

Then run like hell back to your prepped ambush. You will almost certainly be followed. If you take any hits while running away, your SCI healer and ENG will almost certainly heal you back up. Take up a position near the front line, but again, not so close that a single grenade can hit you and a boff.

The fortified ENG and TAC positions will slow the enemies down and the SCIs in back will be able to Expose a lot of enemies for you and the TAC to blow away. Your SCI attacker can also pop off some AoE damage to do even more casualties to the enemies. The turrets will also be plinking enemies as well.

Not much will survive long enough to get to your SCIs, assuming they even draw aggro at all.