Lt. Commander
Especially with the way its set up, it just seems like another currency to grind. Weren't they supposed to stream line and consolidate currencies instead of adding more? Personally at VA i don't really like having to replay these missions over 40 times for a single MK XI item.....

Is anyone else mad at this prospect of just another Currency to Grind?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
It's not currency; it's crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
It's not currency; it's crafting.
yep and free to play really is FREE
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
Especially with the way its set up, it just seems like another currency to grind. Weren't they supposed to stream line and consolidate currencies instead of adding more? Personally at VA i don't really like having to replay these missions over 40 times for a single MK XI item.....

Is anyone else mad at this prospect of just another Currency to Grind?
taking away valor points and replacing it with something worse (to be collected in inventory) is contradictory...
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-24-2011, 02:24 AM
i feel the same way that its a kind of currency....and to get the veteran special reserve its 60 pieces! thats prolly more like 45, but still, and theres only what, 4 STFs that drop em(ive only done 2-the space ones), thats a LOT.

heres some suggestions: make salvage more valuable-just tokens for all items, and rarer. or increase the drop rate for common salvage. also, some more variety would be nice...maybe make salvage drop other places too, or as quest/doff rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-24-2011, 04:16 AM
well pretty much ANY mission with the borg should have a chance of giving Borg salvage since it's the borg. I just don't like how there is now a new item to farm to get a special item set and even that new Farmable item has subcatagories required to get better gear. At VA rank that's just more useless playthroughs of the same missions over and over and over and over..... How often will Prototype Borg salvage pop up as my reward with out having to try and need it from the rest of the group?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Needing it from a group is why I only do STFs with my fleet most of the time, as we don't need stuff like that.

This seems to be driving things to be less co-operative and more confrontational. Thats what actually worries me about this.

Could be better balanced though. I got 2 rares my first stf on tribble... Had people get 1 and 2 commons. Yeah...
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Why is this reminding me about WOW?
Yes. Do the same stupid instanc over and over and over and over again so that you are equiped for the next instance to grind.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-24-2011, 07:02 AM
I agree with the sentiments above.

Ran through numerous (30+) only to be able to purchase 2 things. Where opening the STF's were supposed to add more community, it makes me trust others less, because folks just NEED every salvage. If that is the case, why not just disable the settings since everyone is just farming anyway.

Interestingly, I suspect the difficulty is about having people have to 'reach' for the best gear. The problem is that the scope of it isn't right. Just like bolting on dilithium to high end crafting. Regardless of the intent, it really marginalizes those of us who have been with the game. Frankly, it just seems the fix is in, since the Freepers are a more coveted customer segment evidently.

Oh, and one other thing about the STF's. Could we be a little less stupid about the drops? What is the rationale for pieces (salvage/tech) to turn in for other pieces (mk?? req/ rec,vet,elt rqe) to turn in for the actual pieces. Why the stupid complexity?

While these may have been irritating for PUGers, It is just disappointing to see a set of missions diminished that really built community within our fleets. It is sad to see something that got our groups together for a challlenge that took a little time as opposed to yet another way to avoid in generic PUGs and limit a player's social exposure.

It seems like a chicken or the egg scenario. Involved and immersed communities make an MMO great. Can you achieve that by opening the floodgates to a more casual player model vs a dedicated player model like we had? That is the question I guess.

*Crossing my fingers* Hopefully STO gets some new mission content like the now 'old' STF's that were involved and required a little more commitment in terms of time and tactics.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelbourne
Oh, and one other thing about the STF's. Could we be a little less stupid about the drops? What is the rationale for pieces (salvage/tech) to turn in for other pieces (mk?? req/ rec,vet,elt rqe) to turn in for the actual pieces. Why the stupid complexity?
There is a benefit to a certain level of indirectness in the drops, which is avoiding the case where you keep getting item A, when what you want is item B. If you only get item C, which can somehow be transformed into either A or B, then you don't need to feel like a run is "wasted."

That said, why Common and Rare can be used to purchase "Standard Issue," but only Common can be used to purchase "Special Reserve" items; yeah, not a whole lot of sense making there. Also, I think a lot of people do not pick up on the fact (probably because it's not explained anywhere in-game) that different instances drop different special items (Tech).

There are a lot of good things about the way it works, and a handful of crappy things, none of which unfortunately appear likely to change. So far the only responses to any complaint about the loot all seem to come down to some variation of "Working as intended," "Drop rates are fine; not gonna change," and "If you're not getting what you want, you just need to want something different."