Lt. Commander
# 11
10-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
Especially with the way its set up, it just seems like another currency to grind. Weren't they supposed to stream line and consolidate currencies instead of adding more? Personally at VA i don't really like having to replay these missions over 40 times for a single MK XI item.....

Is anyone else mad at this prospect of just another Currency to Grind?
No matter how much they streamline something there will always be a need for at least one special currency, for endgame sets. It could be an item you pick up (borg salvage), or just a point to mark off how much farther you have to go to claim an item. It is not a currency in the fact that you can't spend it on what ever you want.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
yep and free to play really is FREE
Even if your being sarcastic, this is very true. The STF sets are some of the best in the game, and you can't buy them for money, or dilithium. Meaning that some one that puts time in (or gets lucky and gets a rare borg salvage) will get the best endgame items without spending a dime.

People should be happy about this, I know I am. I can hit infected Space is 7 mins, then jump back in and do it again, all while collecting dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
It's not currency; it's crafting.

if it's crafting, where's the dilithium charge?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-24-2011, 01:41 PM
It's not stupid. It's advanced.

Lt. Commander
# 15
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelbourne
I agree with the sentiments above.

Ran through numerous (30+) only to be able to purchase 2 things. Where opening the STF's were supposed to add more community, it makes me trust others less, because folks just NEED every salvage. If that is the case, why not just disable the settings since everyone is just farming anyway.
Can't really judge right now as these are 'new' drops. Bascially, everyone DOES need them right now. Once it's been out for a while, this will settle down. Plus, it the Tribble server. A lot people simply don't care about being polite or whatnot since it's a test server. Just hit 'need' and don't worry about it.

Quote:
Oh, and one other thing about the STF's. Could we be a little less stupid about the drops? What is the rationale for pieces (salvage/tech) to turn in for other pieces (mk?? req/ rec,vet,elt rqe) to turn in for the actual pieces. Why the stupid complexity?
Honestly, I like the way the drops are right now. With the old STFs, your whole team had to roll on 1 drop. And most of the time, the drop wasn't something that you could actually use. There are several advantages of the new system, and I think it outweighs the disadvantages.

1) Everyone gets a loot bag. No need to 'roll' for anything.

2) You are guaranteed a 'common salvage'. The implications of this are huge. How many times do you think you need to run something to get a purple drop? How often do you get a purple drop on normal difficulty from other PVE missions? So what are your chances of getting a purple drop of the set item that you need? You will be running A LOT of STFs if this is the case. Instead, you get common salvage which you know EXACTLY how many you need to get one of the gear pieces. So you know exactly the MAXIMUM number of times you need to run it. In most cases, it is less as you can loot common salvage from killing borg as well. And Gozer has mentioned 'STF Weekends' where the drops are increased.

3) The common salvage allows you to choose the gear you want. No more getting 2 of the same armor. Or 2 of the same engines. It gives you CHOICE.

Quote:
*Crossing my fingers* Hopefully STO gets some new mission content like the now 'old' STF's that were involved and required a little more commitment in terms of time and tactics.
Guess you can't make everyone happy. If you search the forums, you will find tons of complaints of how the STFs were too long, and how people don't have 4 hours at a time to devote to a video game, and etc and etc.

Overall, I'd say the STFs are now an improvement over before in general. I do agree that the rare salvage should be redeemable for the special reserve, however.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-24-2011, 02:40 PM
the borg automatically withdrew the dilithium from your account when you pickup the salvage :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Salvage Ideal is just stupid, if you make players have to keep replaying a mission over and over and over again just to get a simple kit they will just get fed up with the game and leave. No one wants to have to play a mission 40 times just to get MXIII or MXI. It was bad enough have to play dailyís over and over with emblems now you made it even more frustrating and annoying. As cleaver as you guys may be making this game you seem to lack common sense to go with it. I for one donít have the time to keep replaying missions so that ruins the game I have been playing almost since this game started and if thatís what the future is going to bring I am easily going to lose interest and so will many others. At first some people will probably say oh its good but when they have replay a mission 20 times or so that enthusiasm will soon run off and the end for them will also be the same people will leave.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gard3ner View Post
Salvage Ideal is just stupid, if you make players have to keep replaying a mission over and over and over again just to get a simple kit they will just get fed up with the game and leave. No one wants to have to play a mission 40 times just to get MXIII or MXI. It was bad enough have to play dailyís over and over with emblems now you made it even more frustrating and annoying. As cleaver as you guys may be making this game you seem to lack common sense to go with it. I for one donít have the time to keep replaying missions so that ruins the game I have been playing almost since this game started and if thatís what the future is going to bring I am easily going to lose interest and so will many others. At first some people will probably say oh its good but when they have replay a mission 20 times or so that enthusiasm will soon run off and the end for them will also be the same people will leave.
If you don't want the gear, then don't replay the missions. If the gear was by drop only, you'd be running them A LOT more than it is now to get a complete set. Personally, I'd rather run them repeatedly knowing that I can guarantee myself the set within a certain time frame, than running them repeatedly with only the CHANCE of getting the same thing.

EDIT: And also, keep in mind that all 'end game' content in most MMOs are designed to have you repeat them.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
IIf the gear was by drop only, you'd be running them A LOT more than it is now to get a complete set.
This is patently false, at least based on historical time / reward ratio for these missions.

With the old STFs, we could get a nice Mk X-ish set of space gear, with really nice mods, in EXACTLY three runs. With the old STFs being broken down into the new segments, what used to be three runs works out to somewhere around 9-10 runs of the new segments; 12 at the most, if you want to account for difficulty as well as time. And the old STFs, when they were not bugged out, were also totally doable by PUGs. I got all my pieces of the old set from first-time runs with random PUGs. The only sucks part was just waiting around for a group to get together . . . and of course the random bugged out stuff that sometimes made them un-playable.

Now we have a system that takes around 90 runs to get a Mk X set of space gear (or ground gear) that has some nice mods. This stuff is not significantly more powerful than the old Borg Set, and might even be a little underwhelming depending on what you think of the mods. That's an order of magnitude increase in straight up, mindless grind. It's not fun, it's not reasonable, and there is no good reason for it, other than someone just decided it would be cool if it took 10x as long to get this stuff as it used to.

And this is not even getting started on the Mk XI and Mk XII stuff, which is going to require a grind an order of magnitude harder and longer that THAT to get. And instead of fixes to make the process less absurd and bring it back into the realm of reasonability, we get comments like, "Yeah, the stuff is all too easy to get now. But don't worry, that will be fixed."
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Honestly, I like the way the drops are right now. With the old STFs, your whole team had to roll on 1 drop. And most of the time, the drop wasn't something that you could actually use. There are several advantages of the new system, and I think it outweighs the disadvantages.
Overall, these new instances are an unqualified, immense improvement over the old ones. They play better and faster; the queue system makes them actually run regularly, and mechanically, the way the loot works and is redeemed for items is great. Other than the fact that the underlying drop rates are off by an order of magnitude for the Normal level and Mk X gear, these are really, really good instances now.