Lt. Commander
# 1 NVIDIA game crashes
03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this game, but I seem to be running into a recurring problem. I have a decent gaming laptop and have been getting game crashes with an error to the effect of Direct3d something or other and the messages also mention something about memory. I apologize for being cryptic, it's been a few days since I've last played and my memory for the exact error message waned some. I believe, however, that this error has to do with my graphics settings. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card with 2GB of memory. I've updated to the most recent drivers available, but I am still having these issues. I also looked both through this forum and other sources for a potential solution, but have as yet to find one. Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
thats a farly low spec gpu on that laptop, how long ago did you buy it as its the equvilent to a GeForce 210 desktop card.

Go into your launcher settings the click on options and tick safe mode and verify files then apply (safe mode will reset all the ingame visual settings to the lowest, verify will check files and replace any with newer from the patch server). you might need to turn half resolution on with that gpu, if not then I'd recommend an upgrade and keep the current laptop for work stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Looked up the system requirements...
Quote:
What are the system requirements for Star Trek Online?

Minimum System Requirements

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
* Memory: 1GB RAM
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Recommended System Requirements

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
* Memory: 2GB RAM+
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM
If the 310M is low spec for this game, the above needs to be updated. I will however acknowledge that it is lower spec'd compared to what is available today. I wouldn't call it low spec yet as one of my laptops has a pair of 8600M running in SLI. At the time I purchased my current laptop (about a year ago if memory serves me), it was a good system. Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce 310M, and 4 GB RAM.

As to the problem from the original post. I also have the same issue with the current drivers. The drivers actually seem to be the problem, or possibly the interaction between the game and the drivers. I first noticed the issue with the 260.59 driver (barely able to play on minimum settings) rolled back to 258.96 where I could play with mid to high graphic settings. More recently I upgraded the driver to 266.58 hoping that NVIDIA and/or Cryptic fixed the problem, but apparently they haven't as it crashed almost immediately after loading. I tried to duplicate the error just now, but I couldn't get the game to crash on me. I haven't tried rolling back to the last stable driver for this game yet, but I will probably do that later today as I want to try and run through the current feature episodes this evening.

At the moment my other games are stable with driver version 266.58, it only seems to be STO crashing on me. The screen flickers and eventually Timeout Detection and Recovery kicks in and restarts the graphics driver which allows me to run stable for a short time before the pattern repeats. When the game crashes, I get some error talking about available memory and one of the shaders, which is the error I was trying to reproduce for this post. I don't remember exactly what it said.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I ment low spec in reference of what people run in general. since NVIDIA have released the Verde Driver v267.24 (beta) win7 32bit try them if they fix your issue for sto (assuming your running win7 32bit else select your current operating system). Also update your direct x install as that might be corrupt: DX Update
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator_Mendosa
NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card with 2GB of memory.
Can you post the rest of the comp specs?

I have a Nvidia GeForce 335m that crashed once, seemed to be due to a memory leak.
What other programs are running while playing the game?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
I ment low spec in reference of what people run in general. since NVIDIA have released the Verde Driver v267.24 (beta) win7 32bit try them if they fix your issue for sto (assuming your running win7 32bit else select your current operating system). Also update your direct x install as that might be corrupt: DX Update
Windows 7 64-bit for me. I normally don't use beta drivers, but it was worth a shot. Sadly, it didn't work. And the web installer for DirectX won't install. "DirectX has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary." And so far I haven't had any luck finding an offline installer to try and force it to reinstall. Nor have I found instructions from Microsoft's site to reinstall DirectX.

However, before I installed the beta driver I did verify that NVIDIA's 258.96 driver is stable with STO.

Any other suggestions to try?

***Edit***
Logged in to STO to try and mess with the graphics settings in an attempt to stabilize the beta drivers and I ended up seeing the error I mentioned in my previous post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (UNKNOWN:
0x88760870) while Locking vertex buffer (1.95 GB memory available).

Technical Details: 1.95 GB memory available
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cryptic's crash report program (CrypticError) showed up which I filled out and submitted under Error Tickit ID: 12250902

To the original poster: Is this the same error you received?
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
you could try Directx happy unistall. there is a x64 variant that will repair,back up or unistall directx. I am going to try this as I am having the same isuse with these hardware specs

AMD Phenom X3 720 @ 2.8ghz stock
ASUS 970 EVO
Crucial Ballistic Tracer 8 GB 8-8-8-24 @ 1600mhz
Creative X-FI 5.1 Pro USB
Nvidia EVGA 9800GTX 1GB
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

Fresh install of windows and fresh format so not sure the issue. could be corrupt files.
Lt. Commander
# 8 0x88760870
10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I get the 0x88760870 error almost everytime I play. Has anyone figured this out? I have disabled post processing and dynamic lighting but it dident help.

My PC specs

Vista Home Premium x64 SP2
AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.5Ghz
Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 890XA
16GB PC3-10666 Ripjaw
1000W PSU
x2 ATI Radeon HD 4850s (512MB of GDDR 5 ea.) in CrossfireX
x2 Seagate 7200RPM 320GB (16MB Cache) SATA II HDDs in a 2+0 RAID 0 configuration
1TB Western Digital Black Series HDD
Thermaltake V9 Black edition case

The temp on the CPU is 31 C idle and only about 42 C while playing STO. I have tried switching out video cards to my old 3870s but I got the same problem. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 9 Having these same issues...
10-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I actually have a GeForce 450 series graphics card and am having this error frequently as well.

The game will run fine even on the highest settings for almost a half hour but then will black out for a moment and come back to the game. This usually happens 2 or 3 times before finally the game completely crashes and the 0x88760870 error appears and states that I have 2.12 GB of memory left.

Used to play STO well before Season 4, and would constantly have game crashes so I stopped playing completely. No other game has done this for me. My PC Specs are over the minimum by far and yet this issue still occurs. With F2P coming up soon I was excited to see what has changed with the game, but if I still can't play it without experiencing errors that pretty much wraps up that decision.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Seems everybody above is using a 64bit OS. Is there an option when you click properties on the gameclient.exe file to choose to run it in 32 bit mode at all, maybe compatability mode?