Lt. Commander
# 1 Issues with x8 AA
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

I thought I had seen a thread on this before but it was not specific to 8x like my issue is and it was solved by the user so here is a new topic.

I noticed the other day that the planets looked like utter crap on my system and the textures for the uniforms on my characters and NPC's also looked like crap. So I started playing with settings. I remember a thread way back when about textures being crappy on manually set high end options. So I dropped my settings to medium and back up to high with the slider (not the advanced option). When I did this I noticed it was looking way better which puzzled me. I did some playing around and found that the culprit seems to be the anti aliasing but only at x8 (x4 and below work fine). Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT

My video card is a Radeon HD 6950... or 6970 (not sure). 8 gigs of ram, plenty of HD space, Windows 7 x64.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
not sure if related...

but i suggest you use AA x4
and go into your driver options and force Transparency Anti Aliasing x4
not sure how that works on an ATI but on my GTX460 i get much better edges, especially Hair and those red pinstripes on Ships are not filtered at all with the ingame options.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Hmm, I have a Radeon 6870, Xeon w/ 8 cores, 4 gigs of ram, and Windows x64 also, and have not had any problems with AA, though I have seen quite a few other bugs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks Zero,

That option is enabled on my graphics cards as best as I can tell (ATI leaves something to be desired in making sure little details like that are turned on). Though I am really not sure where my issues comes from. The other day I had it up to 8x and it looked great no real problems but when I restarted the game everything had a layer of fuzzy like it was out of focus and the consoles are unreadable. I switched it to 4x and bam looks good again. I will try to grab a screen shot and find a place to upload it if that helps.

Anyway it is not game breaking but it is... perplexing as I do not like it when I can not figure out why something is happening on my computer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlightracer View Post
Hmm, I have a Radeon 6870, Xeon w/ 8 cores, 4 gigs of ram, and Windows x64 also, and have not had any problems with AA, though I have seen quite a few other bugs.
Hey greenlight,

What are the settings for you AA in game and on your drivers? how many screens are you running?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
Hey greenlight,

What are the settings for you AA in game and on your drivers? how many screens are you running?
Hey valdeck,

8x AA in the game, and I'm nearly 100% sure in the ATI catalyst control panel they are set to just follow the game's setting. I have two screens, 27"1920x1200 that I play the game on, and another 21" 1920x1080.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
I've noticed with my GTX480 that with 8X AA shadows are cut in half, as in my shadow has no feet/head depending on the angle.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlightracer View Post
Hey valdeck,

8x AA in the game, and I'm nearly 100% sure in the ATI catalyst control panel they are set to just follow the game's setting. I have two screens, 27"1920x1200 that I play the game on, and another 21" 1920x1080.

Hope this helps.
Funny thing about this whole deal.

I was playing around with it more yesterday. So first off... 8x 9 out of 10 times will make everything SOOO blurry and fuzzy it washes away details totally and makes planets look like they game from mine craft.

none, 2x and 4x all work fine.

So I went into the graphic settings on the ATI drivers (which btw who writes your graphics options under 3D settings when they effect non 3D games?) and set it to 8x and enhancing the game AA and all that junk and it looks great.

Not sure if it is bugged on my end or what really but something about IN GAME 8x just does not work right or it wont engage at all. Though if I force it from CCC it works fine... *sigh* who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
I've noticed with my GTX480 that with 8X AA shadows are cut in half, as in my shadow has no feet/head depending on the angle.
...i can confirm that