Lt. Commander
# 141 The Horrors of LAG~!
08-04-2009, 07:44 AM
In your FPS combat system When we are fighting other players will there be a system to boot or disable Players whos Ping is so high it appears as though they are moving by shuttering. I could only imagine the chaos that would ensue from combat on a bridge (as seen in vidoes) and you fire at another player who has borded you and he lags/shutter walks and you vaporize either a console or one of your bridge officers.

This has been a problem that has plaged many good FPSs, and my controlers for different consoles flying across the room in frustration trying to pick off the one last lagging fool in a match. Im just curiouse if STO will implement some sort of ping limit on players engaging in First person combat.
Lt. Commander
# 142
08-04-2009, 08:56 AM
  1. Will there be any PvP variations of ground combat ?
  2. If so what will the number of combatants be ?
  3. Will all ground combat be instanced ?
  4. If so how will crashes be handled , as far as mission progression goes. Will there be points where it'll auto save ?
  5. If you chose to do a mission with live players , how many can be involved ?
  6. What will be the range of movement of the Avatars be? ex: rolls , laying prone , jumping ?
  7. What will the speed of the movements be ?
  8. If you have a multi live player party , and someone loses connection , how will that be dealt with ?
  9. AI intelligence , what can we expect ? In some games you can lure AI out of position only to sneak a part through and then transport the lurer back to the party ? If combat begins will all surrounding AI ignore it or will they respond accordingly ?
Lt. Commander
here a good 1
will we be able to wield dual phasers so we can shoot Multiple targets at once?

ah and another 1
for missions with multiple ground based objectives will we able to spilt are away team into smaller groups and /or will we be able beam down a second away team to help do primary or secondary objectives? and if this is possible will dar be an option of a hazard team?
Lt. Commander
# 144 Vehicles
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Will we only be exploring on foot or will there be vehicles like the argo for ground exploration?
Lt. Commander
# 145 A Few Quick Questions
08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info...

My questions...

Obviously, four members of the away team are used, but

1.) How many officers do we have (a) at start of game and (b) through the life of the game to choose who goes on an away mission?

2.) What ranks do they start at and how many different ranks do they fill?

3.) Will bridge officers go through the same talent life cycle as a captain, or do they already have "assigned roles" they can fill at selection/addition?

4.) Will some betrayal system be implemented that allows say an Orion or Klingon or Romulan to serve Starfleet, or vice versa?

5.) Can players eventually play some bounty hunter or smuggler role ingame?
Lt. Commander
Hi there,

I have 2 possible qeustions for the next Dev chat if possible ?

I have a couple of friends that i plan to play STO with, If we are both attacked heavily and say my friends Akira is boarded. Can i beam on to his ship to help him fight the boarding party off ?

And also,

Can i ask or suggest if possible a Morale Bridge officer or Ships counciler could be hired. It would be incredibly more fun and give the game many more options, in having a multi-role Bridge officer as well as your standard officers, such as Kneelix/Seven in Voyager or Diana Troi in Next Gen, I would love to have an officer like that popping up now and again on the bridge, and certain missions could be helped by there experience, and it could help you make tough mission decisions in game etc.

Would that be possible? or can u at least consider it? I think it would add great depth to the possibilities of the game and it would be staying true to Star trek also ! (as well as allowing your players and your self's coming up with things to have much more fun )

Many Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 147
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I have another question:

Will you, or your team for example or even the other faction or whoever you face on the planet surface, be able to use some sort of Dampening Field option/ability, say for a limited time so that the other side's weapons, tricorders or ability to beam out, would be hampered/not work, to gain some sort of tactical advantage over the other.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 148
08-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracon View Post
Will we only be exploring on foot or will there be vehicles like the argo for ground exploration?
The Argo will make me mois... urm.... The Argo would be a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 149
08-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Not combat but related in a way...

Will we be able to use our phasers as tools to do things other than combat (ie. heat boulders, blow holes through cavern walls, place on overload to explode like a bomb, etc.), as in the shows?

Will we have the ability to modify phaser and shield modulations to more effectively block certain kinds of attacks or more easily penetrate more powerful shields?

Will we be able to have pets (cats, dogs, targs, tribbles, etc.)?

Lt. Commander
# 150
08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
What weapons will we have access to (Hand phasers, Phaser rifles, Disruptors, etc.)?