Lt. Commander
# 71
07-31-2009, 06:57 AM
What about the use of shuttle craft for transport and in ground/air combat?

Is beaming down to planets the only option? If so, will it work all the time at any given scenario?
Lt. Commander
# 72
07-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Will we be able to beam off the planet at any time? Or will we have to wait until we have defeated all the enemies?
Lt. Commander
# 73
07-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Will combat be point and click or will you be required to target and run around like in Gears of War (for example)?
Lt. Commander
# 74
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
I just want to remind people that Cryptic has two different modes of play in their MMO, both space combat and ground combat. There are going to invariably be design and gameplay limits on both to get them done. Nothing will be perfect, or as fun as $FPS_GAME_OF_CHOICE.

Anyways, these are really great questions. To the guy who asked if these would be answered, what Cryptic will do is they will do an Ask Cryptic, picking questions from these questions here to answer. Then, they will have a devchat which follows up on that ask cryptic, for clarification, further questions, etc about what was said in the Ask Cryptic.

And thank you Cryptic! This is a really good format, very focused, but helps you proactively deal with issues people have with your comments.
Lt. Commander
# 75
07-31-2009, 07:39 AM
1.) Will ground avatars has stats such as Hit rating, Crit, Stamina, etc... If so what stats can we expect?

2.) Are there critical strikes?

3.) Are planetary away missions allowing you to explore the vast majority of a planet, similar to SWG. Or is a planetary away mission, a single "map" where some kind of combat takes place?

4.) Can you beam down and simply explore an entire planet on foot?

5.) Will some missions include puzzle elements that must be figured out. For example, the team is blocked by a very powerful force field, and must find a way to bring it down.

6.) As Klingons, how will we be closing the distance to engage in hand to hand combat? Will we be just running straight at the enemy taking fire, using cover to advance on them, or beaming directly into the middle of their group?

7.) If you are playing with a group of 5 real players, does the away team tend to see defined class roles play an important part. Will you need a medical officer to tend to injuries and heal people in combat? A tactical officer to draw fire (aggro). Etc. Do we see the classic Tank, DPS, Healer roles?

8.) Is there an aggro system, and if so how does it work?

9.) Will you face "Bosses" and "Elite" units? If so will they have unique attacks and strategies for defeating, or just blast em until they die?

10.) Will we see mixed faction Cooperative ground combat? Klingons and Federation working together in the same away mission? Specifically referring to real players, not a NPC or mission where you aid an NPC of the opposite faction.

11.) How many ground combat weapons are expected to be in the game? Do they have unique stats?

12.) What type of stats, if any, can we expect to see on weapons and items?
Lt. Commander
# 76
07-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
6.) As Klingons, how will we be closing the distance to engage in hand to hand combat? Will we be just running straight at the enemy taking fire, using cover to advance on them, or beaming directly into the middle of their group?
Klingons have ranged weapons as well. They don't just use Bat'leths and knives. Klingons prefer hand-to-hand combat and likely will be better at it than most feds, but the klingons will logically have disruptors or some of ranged weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 77
07-31-2009, 07:55 AM
during combat/exploration, can you beam out or beam to a safe location.

Will there be some kind of combat in planetary atmospheres such as with shuttles/runabouts

Will your choice of uniform/outfit have any impact on the way you do combat?
Lt. Commander
# 78
07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroth View Post
Klingons have ranged weapons as well. They don't just use Bat'leths and knives. Klingons prefer hand-to-hand combat and likely will be better at it than most feds, but the klingons will logically have disruptors or some of ranged weapon.
Yes I know, I am just curious how they will close the gap effectively to get to their preferred weapon range? In the shows you most often see them beam directly down upon their prey. Just wondering if we will have to battle our way to them as they pick us off and sit back and kite. Or if we will have some kind of advantage we can use to close that distance?

That brings up another question that is important to this topic.

1.) Can you move and fire your weapons at the same time?

2.) Will Klingons have any type of advantage in ground combat?
Lt. Commander
# 79
07-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Just wanted to say that there is an array of fantastic questions here. Thanks to all who have put em out there.
Lt. Commander
# 80
07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
1. Will I have one mob every 15 feet?
I despise running into so many mobs that it's obviously just a grindfest. I understand we'll have the kill 20 and bring me the ingredient quests, but please for the love of all that is holy, don't let me see 70 mobs on my screen at once. Spawn numbers appropriate for the numbers of players if necessary, but please, please spread them out. Make it hard to find, make it hard to kill, but don't let me trip over 'em

2. Will said mobs interact with each other.? If you have a table of spawns, one is a saber toothed tiger, and the other a bunny. Will the tiger eat the bunny? or will it just be fluff(or will you even bother with such fluff).
If you include something that will be a food source for the creatures we'll encounter as hostiles, make them useful or please leave them out. I'd love to see it where if we go out into the woods to kill 20 bunnies, that the bunny eating mob gets mad and comes after us. That would be useful. (could be a hidden faction multiplier that runs behind the scenes and sets aggro for certain mobs or a secondary spawn table)
(THIS MUST BE CODED EARLY)

Related

3. decay on items looted
Again, I understand the gather 20 lucky rabbit's feet quests. The problem with those is that after you gather the 20 you need, not a single one ever shows up again. Don't remove the item, simply have the item decay over time. This keeps you from having to change the loot tables based on quests, but keeps others from storing items to be used.

4. Level based restrictions on items looted
Do not tell me that when I find the super plasma rifle of death that I'm not intelligent enough to find the trigger button. These are not skill based weapons for use. Feel free to make it skill based on number of uses improving aim, but not general use. Find intelligent way to address gold farming, don't treat me like an idiot.

5. No items on the mob just killed.
Unless I just vaporized him...he still has that phaser he was just using against me. You need two tables to accomplish this, a base loot table for each weapon that mob is using to attack me. And the random table for the interesting loot. The base loot table could include a working weapon every 2% chance, and a broken or damaged weapon every 98% chance a .000001% chance of finding the top secret weapon he was carrying to the new research lab. When accounted for early and set into the economy, it can work well.
(THIS MUST BE CODED EARLY)

I realize you're trying to do a little pr, but please shoot these concepts to where it might do a bit of good. If you can answer publicly, It would be a nice bonus.

Edit: personal shields...really? Would you change my name to Frank Herbert then..