1) To further create a bond between captain and first officer (as is depicted heavily in all trek series), will the player be able to designate his first officer as the leader of the away team, and the FOfficer is now the assumed avatar and access to his own special abilities (perhaps not as good as the captains, but varied, to encourage use of both captain and FOfficer to lead your away team from time to time)?
2) will there be "sub system" targetting per se where i can target the enemies head, arms, legs, chest...or will it be random? I would imagine that "crits" would hit the enemy in the head, and "hits" would randomly hit the chest or limbs.
- it would be nice to have perhaps more refined tactial skill open skills to players to allow them to aim for the legs to "disable" the enemy...so if im a tactical officer with that skill and i want to get away from a stronger opponent, i can use "leg shot" and cause him to lose 50% speed for 20 seconds so i can escape him trying to eat me
3) will there be an in combat/out of combat system? or will you have free reign to use your tools, including weapons, on anything including enemies? if i need to get through an area where its blocked by boulders, could i use my phaser to cut through? or will weapons only be used "in combat"
4) will evasive skills be passive? ie. klingon uses batleth skill on my tactical officer. Tactical officer has 30% chance to dodge. Or will i be able to use my direct player control to avoid the melee swing?
5) as with the path base space combat discussion, how will that be handled here?
6) i can already see people using a steady diet of "focus fire BOfficer" tactics to mow through the desired target...will there be any mechanism in place that would dissuade this? seems like it would make for boring combat if i can FF on each target and mow them down one by one if there is no incentive to spread my attacks out against the others in the enemy's party
How is ground combat going to handle, is it going to be 3rd person? 1st person? can switch between the 2 or is it going to be more RTS style with a top down look?
Is combat going to be real time? or a more turn based mechanic.
is success in combat going to be more focused on player skill, e.g. ducking diving behind cover and generally being a good shot or is it going to be more Dependant on character stats etc?
I have a question about kits and group focus fire. How are you guys balancing having multiple characters focus firing on one target and not obliterating it? IE: my group consist of 5 captains. We all take th kit for hologram soldiers. All of us use the kit. Let's assume you only het 1 holograms each; and we all focus fire on 1 enemy. Be it player or pve combat. 10 simultaneous attacks at once. 5 from us, and a hologram each. Any way to prevent that from happening as a defence? Or do you have to hope you can survive the onslaught?
Firstly, what will the view be from the players point of view? Will it be 1st Person (similar to Star Trek Elite Force) or will it be more 3rd Person (similar to Star Trek: The Fallen or Guild Wars/WoW).
My second question is have you reviewed previous attempts by other developers for Star trek games? I've played alot, Elite Force was enjoyable, but i'm guessing for an MMORPG its not that great (since most MMO's are 3rd person). The only 3rd person Star Trek game i've played was Star Trek the Fallen. I think this is most similar to GW and WoW and would be a wise choice to pick out the best bits. I know this game isn't a hugely well known one, but set on DS9 i think its been the best RPG game Star Trek have produced.
can you give us some examples of some of the kits and their abilities, along with some weapon examples.
how deep do the ability and weapon selections go? is it only the ability to heal, or is there a HoT and an instant heal? do you just get to choose a ranged weapon, or does it go deeper with long range rifles and fast firing pistols?
also, will the different factions have slightly different abilities and playstyles, like you said they would have in space combat (klingons with personal cloaks and feds with medical tricorders that can detect enemies).
will the science characters have a tribble rush ability?