Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
So, I've allways been curious to try this game, despite how harsh critics were on the game on launch Though I was allreays really scared this game was one of those super technical MMOs that sci-fi MMO usually wind up as (ie. EVE, etc.) but I'm getting kinda tired of the same old fantasy MMOs.

However, since the game is going F2P, I heard there are some..... unfavorable changes coming soon, and a lot of people may be quitting over things like the crafting changes, will I be left in the cold once F2P comes with nobody to show me the ropes.

Is this game relatively easy to learn compared to other space-MMOs like EVE? Also, while i'm "casual" does this game at least have some challenging content? I played WoW for years until I quit recently due to constant nerfing of content.

I hope I was right to buy the game and try it out, reguardless, thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I say buy it and try it out. Or just use the free trial. You can find the game for a few $ from many places though so It wont cost much at all to get a copy for at least a month. I too understand being sick of fantasy MMOs, that is one of the main reasons I play STO. There is another non-fantasy MMO coming soon, maybe STO can hold you over till then.

It's not the worst MMO but certainly not the best. It all depends on what you look for in an MMO. There is very little endgame content and the same pvp maps get very repetitive. Despite what others may believe the game hasn't changed much since launch. They added a few missions, but they are more filler for leveling than solid endgame. They made some graphic tweaks and sped up ground combat a bit, but is still feels clunky.

F2P is bring allot of changes. Big changes to the economy are being made to drive up sale of the c-store which is the nature of allot of f2p models. This doesn't really change how the game is played as much though. The biggest change to the game will be how aggressive they change the skill tree's. This could totally revamp how people play and with the possibility of breaking every build in the game currently, could be the driving force in getting people to leave. For these reasons you may want to try it now and see what the game was before it was ruined, or come after F2p and never be the wiser.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I have been playing for 4 days here and counting. I tried EVE and i stayed in it for 5 mins only. I guess that answers your 1st question. As for the changes i guess you'll need an open mind, all the qq is about crafting, from what i read you wont have to worry about it unless you wanna be a crafter. Anyway i think that the changes now are very fresh and theres time for fine tuning till the game goes f2p.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
The main differences you would encounter joining now are levels of equipment really as the transition to F2P is changing fundamentally what equipment and ships people can attain easily and quickly. All the skills are being changed, STF's are being revamped and story progression is being changed.

Joining now is not bad as such and plenty of people will stay. Even those lifers who say they will walk if feature x or y is implemented will keep 'popping back' to see if any changes have been reversed or to spend their stipends. If you do wish somebody to show the ropes then you are best finding a good established fleet with plenty of members so you have a good chance of having the help you seek.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I never thought that I would play an MMO, but I have always been a huge Star Trek fan and I thought , hey, what could I lose paying $35 bucks for the box and a month trial . . .

Anyway, enough people believed in the game to buy lifetime subscriptions, so even if a lot of subscribers quit, I doubt all the old vets are going away.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2011, 10:32 AM
One thing to remember about the F2P changes that everyone is complaining about. It's all subject to change. Basically the game on Tribble is in flux. So, take all of the complaints with that little bit of salt.

This is a great game and I'm sure the devs will do whatever they can to keep it great.
Welcome and enjoy!

Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
This game is easy. Much easier than WOW. Don't bother if you want a challenge.

I would recommend ditching this game now while you can before you feel compelled to buy stuff from the C-store. You'll only get ripped off.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter83 View Post
This game is easy. Much easier than WOW. Don't bother if you want a challenge.

I would recommend ditching this game now while you can before you feel compelled to buy stuff from the C-store. You'll only get ripped off.
Salt salt salt.

Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter83 View Post
This game is easy. Much easier than WOW. Don't bother if you want a challenge
To put this in context, go down to the tribble forums and go back as many pages as you can, and you'll see page upon page upon page of multi-page threads complaining about how hard the game is. And it wasn't the kind of "B'ger's torpedo spread oneshot my cruiser through full shields," kind of hard, but simply players being honestly outclassed by equal level enemies in one-on-one fights, especially Undine and Romulan ones.

The game wasn't harder. Just people were stripped of all the advantages they'd built up on the live server were suddenly forced to face a truly fresh start.

We're also looking down both barrels of a general reduction in player power with the skill revamp and we haven't even seen what the elite STFs have in store for us.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
To put this in context, go down to the tribble forums and go back as many pages as you can, and you'll see page upon page upon page of multi-page threads complaining about how hard the game is. And it wasn't the kind of "B'ger's torpedo spread oneshot my cruiser through full shields," kind of hard, but simply players being honestly outclassed by equal level enemies in one-on-one fights, especially Undine and Romulan ones.

The game wasn't harder. Just people were stripped of all the advantages they'd built up on the live server were suddenly forced to face a truly fresh start.

We're also looking down both barrels of a general reduction in player power with the skill revamp and we haven't even seen what the elite STFs have in store for us.

Also remember how many people levelled up to RA/VA using tier 2 and tier 3 ships.