Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter83 View Post
Also remember how many people levelled up to RA/VA using tier 2 and tier 3 ships.
Which is pretty moot, because the bugged missions were in the tier 1/2 bands, and only people aggressively saving dilithium for the 1>3>5 route (instead of 1>2>5) were facing them in level-inappropriate ships.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
This game is perfect for casual gamers.

If the normal difficulty setting is too easy for you then you just adjust the difficulty (Normal, Advanced and Elite) with a few mouse clicks. Higher difficulty brings in chance for better loot, more exp from enemies and chance to get various death penalties if you die (Normal has no death penalties).

Many of the maps scale with your level so you will never out level any of the missions and it also scales in numbers depending if you go in alone or with some friends.

You can retake most of the missions as many times as you want with a 30 minutes cooldown.

With the Foundry you can create your own missions that you can share with the rest of the server and there are many player made missions out there

Two downsides with this game (in my opinion) is that it is too easy to get good equipment for your ship or captain and that you level up too fast.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the "I quit" posts, it was the same story when Champions Online went F2P and they are now doing better than before they went F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
[color="Wheat"]One thing to remember about the F2P changes that everyone is complaining about. It's all subject to change. Basically the game on Tribble is in flux. So, take all of the complaints with that little bit of salt.
Very true, especially if the poster has an 'anti Cryptic' avatar. Take those comments with *many* grains of salt.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I just want to put my two cents in. I am a lifelong sci fi fan and gamer. I am a 7 year mmo veteran of games like WOW, Eve, *********, Guild Wars, and several other free online mmo's. I must say that out of all the mmo's i have played, I enjoy STO the most. I feel that this game was designed to be a casual mmo, meaning you don't have to devote your entire life to the game to get good equipment and do good in the game. That adds to my enjoyment of the game. It is not super difficult to level and doesn't take forever yet it is still challenging. While some fo the stuff you can buy from the c-store are cool or useful, you still have a fighting chance in this game without buying any of it. Yes they are making alot of changes with F2P but i think they are necessary changes. I like that they are giving us the option to play for free or continue to pay a subscription for some added perks. I noticed that most of the complaints are about changes to the crafting system. Everyone should keep in mind that the concept is still in Beta testing. That means it is subject to change and i highly doubt it is released live the way it is now. It was a concept that required testing and refinement. You have to test it so that you know how to refine it and that is what they are doing. I am pretty sure the new crafting system will see some changes before implementation. I am very confident that the game will still be just as enjoyable after the F2P release and I look forward to it. Anyway, that is my opinion. Take it as you will
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Here is somthing for you to consider:

- I applied for Closed Beta the day they announced that you could.
- I was in the Open beta from Day one.
- I purchased the game and Lifetime pre-order.
- I probably belong among the top 5% players when it comes to game time.
- I have never taken "a break".
- I have pretty much always taken Cryptics side in the forums.
- I run a fleet.
- I played through the contet drought of the past 9 months.
- I have pretty much every federation and uniform ship in the C-Store.
- I've been a common visitor to the Tribble server for testing when new features and seasons were released.
- I even played when a bug demoted me -43 levels below the minimum level for almost 2 weeks, and i could do anything, and all i got was a badge... never complained.
- and a whole lot more...
- I helped find ways to explain why some of the older ships and uncanon stuff made it into the game, from a Star Trek perspective.

Edit wich i felt important to mention as well:
- I've maxed Diplomacy.
- I've maxed reshearch (both the old and the new).
- I have almost maxed all accolades.
- I've played all the STF's several times.
- I have all tribble test rewards
- I have enough emblems, merits, and medals (Current STO currency) to make me convert dilithium for 23 days before I can use all i've earned (read: I've grinded myself to tears)

But for the first time ever... I find myself considering to stop playing, and go back to single player games... ATM the only thing keeping me here, are my fleetmates... but if it goes down the road, Cryptic seems to be taking, even they will not be enough shortly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Here is somthing for you to consider:

- I applied for Closed Beta the day they announced that you could.
- I was in the Open beta from Day one.
- I purchased the game and Lifetime pre-order.
- I probably belong among the top 5% players when it comes to game time.
- I have never taken "a break".
- I have pretty much always taken Cryptics side in the forums.
- I run a fleet.
- I played through the contet drought of the past 9 months.
- I have pretty much every federation and uniform ship in the C-Store.
- I've been a common visitor to the Tribble server for testing when new features and seasons were released.
- I even played when a bug demoted me -43 levels below the minimum level for almost 2 weeks, and i could do anything, and all i got was a badge... never complained.
- and a whole lot more...
- I helped find ways to explain why some of the older ships and uncanon stuff made it into the game, from a Star Trek perspective.

But for the first time ever... I find myself considering to stop playing, and go back to single player games... ATM the only thing keeping me here, are my fleetmates... but if it goes down the road, Cryptic seems to be taking, even they will not be enough shortly.
With the exception of the top 5% club, I am point by point even with you. I am heartbroken over the current direction most of the changes on Tribble are going. The Doff secion (thanks Heretic!!) is the only real bright spot. I was never considering TOR until the Oct 20th patch.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
the game is pretty casual and pretty easy. the changes dont really change that much in reality. in fact the early part of the game will probably be even easier.

much of the complaints centre around what players lose but as a new player the changes may not even affect you as much as you wont know what is being changed.

dont worry too much about the negativity, just play it and see what you think. if you lime it then great if you dont then no problem. everything in in flux and will most likely go through a couple of changes before anything is finalized anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
And with the upcoming Doff System, you can effectively get to VA without doing a mission except for the missions to get you to the right level. Basically, it is casualness taken to the next level.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-31-2011, 12:23 AM
The majority of the changes in the game have nothing to do with the f2p model. Its just that there were so many fundamental aspects to the game that were handled poorly or just plain wrong that perfect world and cryptic are using the f2p roll out to sit back and make the game what it should have been from the start. Think of it as more like the launch of STO 2.0.

Personally i say your coming in at the perfect time. With the free month subscription with most copies of the game you wont have to pay a dime unless you choose to when f2p finally launches. Cryptic has always tried to make the game rewards correlate with the time you spent playing not how deep your pockets are and the new system backs that philosophy. The new system goes a long way to streamlining the game and making it easier to grasp and far less time intensive as it was before. Many key aspects that took far too much time to work on have been streamlined. Crafting is now easier with the muliphasic event and stf's can be done in under an hour or half hour now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-31-2011, 02:09 AM
I'd say on Elite, you'll die more than WoW. It's pretty much a given in that regard.

I can't remember that last difficult thing I did in WoW outside a Heroic where the Tank went on a bio break mid-boss fight.