Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granis25
So, I've allways been curious to try this game, despite how harsh critics were on the game on launch Though I was allreays really scared this game was one of those super technical MMOs that sci-fi MMO usually wind up as (ie. EVE, etc.) but I'm getting kinda tired of the same old fantasy MMOs.

However, since the game is going F2P, I heard there are some..... unfavorable changes coming soon, and a lot of people may be quitting over things like the crafting changes, will I be left in the cold once F2P comes with nobody to show me the ropes.

Is this game relatively easy to learn compared to other space-MMOs like EVE? Also, while i'm "casual" does this game at least have some challenging content? I played WoW for years until I quit recently due to constant nerfing of content.

I hope I was right to buy the game and try it out, reguardless, thank you.

One question?
What level of Star Trek Fan are you?
...because this game kinda lives and dies by the amount of Trek-Nerdiness you are able to comprehend.

Also if you like Fan Fiction... the Foundry (= User created Missions ) is a gold fountain for that.

If you are no Trek fan at all this game may feel very boring to you.

Also... the bit of micro management is a lot easier to understand if you know the difference between Quantum and Photon Torpedoes. (seriously in Eve i don't even have an idea what Weapon is good for what ;P)

Finally i would suggest to wait until F2P launches... there are some pretty big changes coming with it and joining now would just be that much more confusing when the Skilltree and Economy are completely changed up with the update...
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
[quote=anazonda;3838042]~snip [quote]

I'm point for point with you, (even the 5% club, though I did not play a whole lost during the summer due to work, I have more than made up for that with the F2P test )

One thing I have to say is take everything on tribble with a grain of salt. As Captain Gecko said last night, they are pushing builds to us with almost no internal testing. The normal process was to put this on their internal test shard for a few weeks, then port to tribble, and then to the holodeck. The have taken down their main internal test shard Redshirt, and converted it into a holodeck tribble. Our tribble was then converted for use as the F2P test shard. As soon as something is remotly ready, even if it is not finished, they are pushing it to tribble. This is what has caused a lot of fuss on the fourms, we are seening them test game play, that normally would all be internal, that we don't agree with. In the old days some of these changes would not have made it past alpha testing, (which is bascially what tribble is now), and we would have never even known that they were working on it.)
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
[quote=Sollaf;3842261][quote=anazonda;3838042]~snip
Quote:

I'm point for point with you
Why the snippyness?

I saw the message by Gecko last night and let me tell you... It's all BS...

Cryptic can see they they put the foot in a pile of s*it and now they are trying to save face.

From what I have seen so far, it's gone from good to bad to worse. And everytime they "listen" to the players, it just gets more screwed up, and that's sad.

You may not belive me now, but wait and see till the F2P patch goes live... Very VERY little will have changed based on customer input... Cause everything we give them input and feedback on, is somthing that will make them money, and listening to us, will make them earn less.

And yea... feel free to remind me of that you said it wouldn, when it goes live... Cause you will never be able to write that message.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granis25
So, I've allways been curious to try this game, despite how harsh critics were on the game on launch Though I was allreays really scared this game was one of those super technical MMOs that sci-fi MMO usually wind up as (ie. EVE, etc.) but I'm getting kinda tired of the same old fantasy MMOs.

However, since the game is going F2P, I heard there are some..... unfavorable changes coming soon, and a lot of people may be quitting over things like the crafting changes, will I be left in the cold once F2P comes with nobody to show me the ropes.

Is this game relatively easy to learn compared to other space-MMOs like EVE? Also, while i'm "casual" does this game at least have some challenging content? I played WoW for years until I quit recently due to constant nerfing of content.

I hope I was right to buy the game and try it out, reguardless, thank you.
This game is a little tougher than EVE in that you have to learn 2 combat styles (Space and Ground) and setting up your person and ship correctly is not very straight forward. If you talk to someone who knows what they are doing though (like me) then that will alleviate a lot of that problem. You will no get killed by the first player you meet here like in EVE as there is no Open PvP so at least that barrier is not present. You also will find generally leveling vs, the Computer is not too hard to handle.

However, all this is going to change. Things are going to be simplified and everything is going to turn into more of a Grind-Fest. I would recommend AGAINST spending any money on this. Wait until FtP hits live and THEN try it out and see if you like it or not. That is how the game will be from here on out so you may as well get used to the actual game instead of this version that will disappear soon.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Doesn't hurt to try it. You'll be out $20 if you just play for the 30 days. *shrug*

For a little background on my comments: I've played a few MMO's, but no WoW. I'm a trek fan since ToS, but not a trekkie, and one of the few that wasn't a DS9 fan. I'm mostly a casual gamer now with the occasional "hardcore" weekends. Now...
  • This game is a Casual Gamers game. Hands down. If you're a hard core MMO type, you'll be bored in 2 months...tops. Maybe less. In the month-ish that I've been playing this, I have my VA Tactician. Not hard.
  • PvE is easy. Too easy. I have 3 different characters so far (2 feds [1tac, 1 sci], 1 klingon [tac]) and have had no real difficulty at all other then 1-2 missions (out of 100+...that's pretty low). As stated though, you can increase the difficulty of play which is a nice feature.
  • Crafting is easy-peasy, especially if you get all the "Anomalies" during regular missions (you'll know what I'm talking about if you start playing). The other upside is, you can craft some really nice starship weapons and ground gear that will serve you extremely well in PvE and, from what I've read, pretty well in PvP. Talk to or see PvP forums on this though.
  • Trek-ness. Pretty good stuff. It's funny to play through some of the missions and see references to ALL the canon stuff, not just Next Generation and such. The disappointment comes towards end game though. Once you start hitting the Admiral level missions....the story starts suffering/lacking...hard. VA is...well...yeah. Not much at all. And it's a shame too because they develop so many different plausible side stories and decent characters....but then they have weak finishes or lack actual development (i.e. something that could have been big...fizzles out to nothingness) or just straight out stop leaving you going, "And THEEEEEN?!?". Maybe they're setups for new Seasons (god I hope so...)?
  • End game. There really isn't any. Typical Cryptic though. Give it another year or so and that will slowly start to change, look at CoH. But playing through Forge (player generated content) can be fun.
  • Klingons. Um...yeah. I'm not a fan of Klingons to begin with, but I was really hoping for cool little story lines and back stories on the War and all that. Yeah. Not so much. I really dislike playing klingon. Some of their ships are wicked...but playing PvE is short of stabbing myself in the eye with a spoon...so far. It may get better...but trying to grind to GET the ACTUAL story missions...ugh. I hate that.
Overall though, I'm enjoying it. It's a fun jaunt into trekness with decent overall fun...and I do love having my Excelsior and Sovereign class ships (two of my all time favorite ship designs) .
I think no matter what, you'll always have a decent community that will be able to help you out. Mind you, I don't always reach out for help as I like to read or figure things out for myself, but the few times that I have, have always been met with some good contact. I even recognize a few people responding to this thread that have helped me out As long as you don't act like an idiot, you'll be fine.