Lt. Commander
# 11
10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernevil
Just a quick note: I started testing a KDF today & got 4 BOffs to start with, not 3. There was one of each class & I got to choose the class of the 4th. I've also been receiving new BOffs pretty rapidly as I level.
All Common, with Basic this and Basic that traits.

By Commander a Fed has a crew of mostly Uncommons with a Rare or two mixed in, or at least has the option of having that sitting in his Assignments tab.

Lt. Commander
# 12
10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
All Common, with Basic this and Basic that traits.

By Commander a Fed has a crew of mostly Uncommons with a Rare or two mixed in, or at least has the option of having that sitting in his Assignments tab.

Meh. I'm not sure what part of the game you're playing where quality of BOffs matters. The OP's point about not having the EC to train them in the skills you want is more relevant. Once I have 4 BOffs (usually the first 4 I get) trained with the skills I want them to have, I usually treat all remaining BOffs I'm "awarded" as vendor trash. I put them on the exchange for cheap or dismiss them.

Now, if rarer BOffs had smarter AI... That I could see being valuable.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Just a quick note: I started testing a KDF today & got 4 BOffs to start with, not 3. There was one of each class & I got to choose the class of the 4th. I've also been receiving new BOffs pretty rapidly as I level.
And then you notice that your ship has 5 stations to fill and you have no Dilithium or EC to buy a new one and/or change their skills. The point is that by Commander 2 you should have lots of BOffs and certainly enough EC to re-train them.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-27-2011, 05:39 AM
There s a wall console for KDF that gives you stuff for your level, located in the room you start in where you set up fleets.

Use that console and you even get a Bird of Prey from it. I am thinking, but can't remember for sure, that you get some BO's from it too.

It's right next to the door, as you were heading to the main courtyard.

Quote:
Meh. I'm not sure what part of the game you're playing where quality of BOffs matters. The OP's point about not having the EC to train them in the skills you want is more relevant. Once I have 4 BOffs (usually the first 4 I get) trained with the skills I want them to have, I usually treat all remaining BOffs I'm "awarded" as vendor trash. I put them on the exchange for cheap or dismiss them.

The rarer BO's often have skills you can't train, like Beam Overload 3 as an example. Also, many of them have passive skills that make a diffrence in ground combat and sometimes space.

I usually have a ground team and a space team, simply because I want the officers with those good passives on the ground. Nothing like watching my Vulcan nerve pinch someone or my Orion seduce them while I blast them in the face.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
Considering klingons start at higher rank it might be helpful if they either start with some EC at the beginning or that the starter missions give them some so they can retrain their boffs before they head out. Being stuck with just what ever is given to you from the get go is rather difficult considering you'll have to wait awhile until you can make use of your boffs which you can already promote from the start. Slight oversight if you ask me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xablis
As much as I can see the validity of your point, the reality is that this will never happen. KDF toons starting at commander still gets the same 3 basic common BOffs as we got at Lt 6, that should be the bigger change that gets addressed first, give us a few decent starting BOffs or a few more and let us choose which ones we want to take. After all, feds get to choose during the tutorial, and then for the next several story missions again and again...why must every KDF captain have the exact same 3 BOffs?
I still agree with all this right here ^.
The KDF are gimped in BOffs and Money for being started at a higher level until the L25 KDF revival is released.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by staalker View Post
There s a wall console for KDF that gives you stuff for your level, located in the room you start in where you set up fleets.

Use that console and you even get a Bird of Prey from it. I am thinking, but can't remember for sure, that you get some BO's from it too.

It's right next to the door, as you were heading to the main courtyard.
Are you sure you are not talking about RedShirt server?
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
While I think that a KDF starting should not be given everything for free at first login, there needs to be some sort of balance for KDF. If you enter a Commander PVP match with what you have shortly after start you will certainly be in a disadvantage to a Fed character that just hits Commander.

What would help is some EC payout on the orientation quest, some BOFF takens to enlist the standard BOFFs you want (not just any random three) and some means to promote the Boffs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Quote:

Well, I've learned from playing many characters that it is better to leave the Common dregs untrained and wait until I have some decent BOffs with useful traits before I train them up. I don't waste BOff skill points on Commons, especially not in the early game.

Lt. Commander
# 19
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Are you sure you are not talking about RedShirt server?
Positive. It's on Tribble. I used it. It's not like I just make this stuff up.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by staalker View Post
Positive. It's on Tribble. I used it. It's not like I just make this stuff up.
just started a new KDF char the other day... i think they removed that console, as i travelled all over the barracks (where the fleet persons at) and havent found the requisition console.