Lt. Commander
# 1 Observations on Recent Matches
10-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Was just thinking about the matches I've played over the last few days. They were all extremely fun and I was trying to figure out how. I mean, SS was flying around in all of them. Everyone was using Torp Spread. I Got AMS'd once or twice. Sounds like it should have been a horrible experience. How could I possibly have enjoyed the last few days as much as I did? Especially with just me and one other person pugging it?

Then it hit me everyone was "doing it", but they weren't "spamming it". It is almost as if a weird kind of balance came over the battlefield. Damage and Healing numbers were high on both sides, team builds were a fairly good mix of ships and the matches were mostly close or down to the wire.

We're all getting much better at dealing with "broken" powers than we used to be (who doesn't zoom in hit f1 and turn the camera as a reflex before hitting ST? or go defensive to ride it out when it can't be cleansed?), and casters had to time it instead of spam it. I wasn't being perma-scrambled. It always came as part of a coordinated strike or as a defense against one.

Given, there were really good players on both sides most of the time. As a result, we probably adapted to each situation better than most pugs would have. I still don't know how I kept getting so lucky being consistently teamed with some of the best players remaining in the game and then seeing some of them on the other side, too (trying to ignore the obvious that the diehards are the only ones still playing).

There is still fun to be found in the game. We just have to find it ourselves and I don't believe banning powers is the answer. Use them, use them all, just don't spam them or build teams with the sole intent of spamming them and we have a chance. (Part of me still wishes the PvP queues were 3v3 or 4v4 there is some sort of tipping point for spam at 5v5 that you don't see in smaller private matches)

SS really does mitigate healing when used well and it can save your life in the same manner.

Don't forget, we all get super-torp-spread-crits If you're not seeing the pretty numbers, join the lovefest. I don't use it all the time, but if there is enough spam, it's on And if you bring 2 carriers or more, I'm putting on 2 copies.

As far as P2W consoles go... they are here to stay. Adapt if you want, join in if ya want.

We are all trying to have fun, no more, no less. Only WE can ruin OUR fun. There is simply no platform with more potential for epic space PvP than STO, not to mention I finally get to fly a starship after 30 years of dreaming for something like STO (previous games never felt immersive or realistic when in space combat), and I don't want to give it up. Since Cryptic is ignoring us, then too, can only WE make OUR fun.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Hear hear!
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
have fun kill bad guys.

-horizon
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice post Brandon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice to see people still having some good experiences.

Mustrum "All Rainbows and Sunshine now" Ridcully