Lt. Commander
# 21
10-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschinengeist View Post
I have stuck with this game for nearly two years. Even with this F2P stuff going on, and the near-complete lack of listening Cryptic is doing, I had planned to wait and see.

But, with all the things this game needs so desperately, you take the existing Gekli model, stick it onto the coding for the in-game pets, and put it up for sale? Get a grip. We don't want any more of your stupid pets, costumes, and other useless junk. We want CONTENT. We've already paid for it; we're waiting for YOU to DELIVER.

Furthermore, with the lack of dev blogs, we have been told that the devs are too busy to blog. Oh, really? Too busy to keep us informed, but not too busy to put more useless crap on the C-store, I see. Not that this is anything new around here, mind you.

Thanks for letting me know where your priorities are, cryptic. I feel like an idiot for wasting nearly two years of my life playing STO, and I have been a Star Trek fan for the past 20 years. Do yourselves a favor and give your customers a reason to log back on.
Well said. At this point, there is nothing Cryptic can do to redeem themselves in my eyes. Even if Santa clause and the Keebler elves are real and the game magically becomes tolerable, nothing will make up for the fact that they have EXPLOITED loyal star trek fans to pay for an unfinished product, then to bear the development costs yet again so they could change platforms to F2P.

I saw this coming back when the game launched, and was quickly rebuked by fanboys of cryptic and star trek alike. Now I notice the ignorant voices, while still definetly there, are less and less...
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Yea, not looking forward to this. Sounds like it is another attempt to capitalise on Star Trek without much effort, but at least it has a decent writer.

Where are the next line of Starfleet Command/Star Trek Legacy games?
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
So we can't simply stop playing unless things become so terrible that STO is outright unacceptable in and of itself.
This is what happened to me. It got to the point it's not even worth playing. The quality is terrible and lack of content is unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-28-2011, 09:42 PM
They are awake...

And after listening to StormShades recent comments...,

it has become very obvious that I (and many others) are no longer important to Them.

They have Their sights set on the (assumed) massive crowd of folks just chompin' at the bit, to play Their Free Game...

They know Exactly what They are doing and They are just waiting out what They consider a Dull Roar on the forums...

When things die back down due to apathy, They will just continue on Their merry way with what They already have planned.

But..., I'll be damned if They are going to get another nickle OR dime out of me...

It was fun while it lasted...
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If you dont want the Gekli then dont buy it; I didnt. As far as new content goes, unfortunately that isnt coming until after F2P. That is what has happened to pretty much every game that has gone F2P so far in the months leading up to the F2P launch, as the development team was focused on the transition. Whether that is right or wrong, it isnt something thats going to change at this point.
my main question is: is there someone holding a gun next to your head demanding you to buy the Gekli? I agree with Nagus, if you dont want it dont buy it LOL. Swear
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
Want proof? Look at Champions vs City of Heros. Champions vs the new DC game. Champions vs all the indy superhero mmos. Then compare the quality of writing in STO with, well, anything. It sounds and feels like it was written by the same people that write picture books for 5 year olds.
Sorry, as a lifetime subscriber to both Champions and DCUO, I disagree with your assertion. Even in its current state, Champions is STILL a better game (unless you're a PS3 player). I don't regret either purpose (I kinda think if you're worried about a $300 long term investment, you've got bigger problems to deal with and shouldn't be investing to begin with) but Champions has more depth, which is what I tend to value in my PC games. Again, it's an awesome console game but 'meh' on the PC side. And comparing Champions to CoH is like comparing Rift to EverQuest. Which has more content? WHY?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
The Gekli, like so many things recently, suffered from a case of 'right thing, wrong execution and bad timing.'
Very true! As in most areas of commerce, timing can be everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
I know. I was not dissing you, merely reinforcing the fact that they make stuff the minority want (which took minimal effort anyway due to the creature model already existing), but do nothing for what the majority want

And yes, I can stop playing, but it is the only Star Trek game around, and I am a huge Star Trek fan. I am also a lifer. Stupid mistake that was, but at least my subscription has already been paid for
How 'bout this? If you're such a majority, cancel your accounts and walk away. That approach swayed CCP (which is a far more valuable studio than the one that was just sold to Perfect World for the gaming industry equivalent of a ham sandwich and a power ballad) and got them to do a complete 180 and change their development plan. No one cares about what you SAY. They care about what you DO. If 51% (your majority statement) of the active accounts in STO were canceled in a week, someone would take notice and want to find out why. But spewing raw sewage on the message board isn't going to accomplish diddly. If anything, you're going to create more people like Monmar who are going to be given pause by the vitriol and dissuaded from even trying the game on the premium level.

You have every right to be impatient but, and here's the important bit, there's nothing that can be done about it now. Nothing. They've chosen their course and until that rollout is completed, NOTHING is going to get pushed unless it stands to generate revenue on its own (so only C-Store stuff). You don't like it, heck I don't like it, but it is what it is. Harping on it is only going to rile you up, it's not going to make anyone with the power to do anything jump to get all your myriad demands met. This game has had what amounts to a lost year. The hiring freeze put the kibosh on all of DStahl's various promises and now we're dealing with the cascade effect of that. They're trying to catch up but it's going to take time for them to get up to speed (hiring new people, training new people, and finding the optimal level of output.....much like every other workplace).

What's that saying about blood and turnips?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I am still considering whether I should or not quit the game and quite frankly, I never approved of the transition nor the influx of Beta crap. So I stopped playing and focused on my life and my budding career. That has gotten considerabley better for me and I am resuming school in the spring. But these people are right if you don't like it and are sick and tired of it STOP PAYING FOR IT AND DROP THEM LIKE A HOT CAKE actions always speak louder to a company than massive disapproval in forums.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree, but canceling my account does nothing. Lifetime sub and all that.
To non-lifers, however, if you are not happy, do not pay. Simple. Leave for 2 months, than come back. If you all do that, the game will either not be here, or will be better. Either way, a win, depending on how one views it.

Go play EVE :-) I know I do when I am free and not helping my mate get to rear admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
They have Their sights set on the (assumed) massive crowd of folks just chompin' at the bit, to play Their Free Game...

They know Exactly what They are doing and They are just waiting out what They consider a Dull Roar on the forums...
And if those massive crowds never come because they saw how the devs treated us, and see our anger, and have no desire to be involved?

Half of me will be smug; Cryptic will have gotten what it deserved for its actions.

The other half will be heartbroken because I watched both the birth and death of the first Star Trek MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
You have every right to be impatient but, and here's the important bit, there's nothing that can be done about it now. Nothing. They've chosen their course and until that rollout is completed, NOTHING is going to get pushed unless it stands to generate revenue on its own (so only C-Store stuff). You don't like it, heck I don't like it, but it is what it is. Harping on it is only going to rile you up, it's not going to make anyone with the power to do anything jump to get all your myriad demands met. This game has had what amounts to a lost year. The hiring freeze put the kibosh on all of DStahl's various promises and now we're dealing with the cascade effect of that. They're trying to catch up but it's going to take time for them to get up to speed (hiring new people, training new people, and finding the optimal level of output.....much like every other workplace).

What's that saying about blood and turnips?

I kinda agree and disagree with you.

On the one hand, yes they're in a tough crrunch right now and there's NO way "content" is making it to holodeck until F2P rollout. Also most - if not all - game devs have a seperate department for cash-shop items, these people are NOT being taken away from jobs involving the F2P rollout just to create a pet.

On the other hand, there's been very little content sprinkled in between long droughts. I've stuck with STO for several reasons; I love Star Trek, I love STO, I like playing casually so the drought didn't impact me as much as others, I'm a lifer so I'm here 'till I can't stand the game. I've bought a LOT of c-store items, all my choice. But, with everything going on right now, with some changes causing such uproar, with some changes seeming like there was no thought to it before rollout, is NOW really the time to put out yet another store item?

Then they run a 20% off sale, but only for 4 days. My next payday is the 3rd so, tuff luck for me.