Lt. Commander
# 31
10-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green117 View Post
I don't think it is a bad thing. Are you so in a rush?
No I just want to be able to play the game which is kind of hard to do if I have to grind gear at every level. I want to do this because I place more value on story progression not a piece of equipment I will likely turn into ECs when I'm done with it.

Quote:
Where is the reward, the effort, the sheer value in this system?
You're collecting X amount of something and turing it in to some guy who gives you a gun or some other equipment you will use for 10 levels at best and then either trade or if bound reduce to ECs, not saving the whole of creation.

Quote:
Allow players to craft all versions of such and such an item, but allow better versions of these items available to those who wish to go that extra bit.
You just discribed something thats more close to the current system on holodeck than your idea. heck if we keep the holodeck system and the STF gears changes that pretty mush is what your discribing.

Quote:
Its all about rewarding those players who wish to put in the time and effort against a system that essentially is wellfare epics.
No its forcing the hardcore play style on casul players.

Quote:
Oh i can do that too. Your idea is worse not better ;p
Considering my idea doesn't use something back with real cash........
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos5k
It'd be interesting to see how many players craft, if these changes go live.

I have a feeling that players would still do it. I don't think the changes are all that bad. =)
They would probably stick to odd mk gear seeing as there is no dilithium price tag on it and it looks like all the craftable kits don't need dilithium to be made either. Plus the character equipemtn doesn't start geting expensive until about captain.

So while it will likely cripple crafing it might not outright kill it.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
They would probably stick to odd mk gear seeing as there is no dilithium price tag on it and it looks like all the craftable kits don't need dilithium to be made either. Plus the character equipemtn doesn't start geting expensive until about captain.

So while it will likely cripple crafing it might not outright kill it.
Note that Mark 9 gear costs dilithium too. If you want to craft for the top ten levels, you need dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai View Post
Note that Mark 9 gear costs dilithium too. If you want to craft for the top ten levels, you need dilithium.
We can't even get basic RA gear without grinding Yay
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-30-2011, 05:52 PM
yes

because more points to grind

I can craft a kit now but because of the new research points I can not because I do not have any yet

so thanks a lot
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
They made gathering samples much easier vis-a-vis the Duty Officer system.

I would be happy to *not* get samples from that if it meant the *complete* removal of the dilithium tax.
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Cryptic has killed a lot. Pretty much its money for everything now, and the justification is some "console". Please, unless your PVP some fancy shmansy console isn't anything. And even then how useful is some console? From what I've heard the only decent one is the the one that comes on that new Sabre class ship that is the "Picard Maneuver". As of new stuff on "tribble" the only decent thing is the Doff system. They have taken away pretty much anything good. Skipping the "chapters", ships UA/VA, needing this garbage dilitium for everything. Granted they claim that they haven't introduce the dilithium for everything yet(so they say) but a few 'cluster' stories and some satellite mission or "invasion" scenarios" which net you maybe a couple grand worth certainly don't make the grade. Klingon is no better and I've gotten to VA on Tribble and once again and unimpressed except for Doff. As a LTM I've already paid my money and am screwed, silly me when silver membership would certainly apparently suit me. At least I'll get some "D" and a free ship slot from the test. But in all honesty the Doff seems to be the only "light in the dark" with the test.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Green's idea isn't worse per se, but it's probably equally as bad as what's operating on Tribble.

I do believe it is a bit too easy to craft top quality gear, especially if you factor in the increased anomaly gathering from the DOFF system. However, adding Di is a terrible idea and frankly a lazy cop out to "make it harder." Whether anomalies or currency, a "grind" of sorts is part of the game. That's fine. Adding Di is just double dipping. They're now demanding 2 types of grind when it should be one or the other. The fundamental concept to crafting is giving a viable alternative to using currency in the acquisition to gear.

Here is a more palatable alternative IMO:

Firstly, there should be an across the board anomaly cost increases to all green and above colored gear. Common gear should be inexpensive and easily accessible (schematic + anomalies). Green and blue gear would be able via schematic + anomalies + trace (with blues demanding more trace). Secondly, institute a success/failure chance. Commons are certain, green and blue have a chance of failure. A schematic is always used, with a chance of losing each of the other ingredients upon failure. Finally, take away standard purple crafting. Have them only available on rare chance from blue and perhaps green crafting. On a side note, there could be a new hourly event where crafting chances are boosted.

Another more out there idea I had for crafting is a DOFF mission. It would require 1 or more engi DOFFs, a lesser piece of the same gear, and some anomalies and trace. It could return in a more rare form or a smuldering pile of scrap. I don't know, maybe you can gain higher ranks of gear from these missions too. This of course wouldn't replace crafting, just add another little layer to both systems.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I havent crafted in months. Why? I got enough EC to buy better stuff at the exchange.

Its not interested anymore. It needs a revamp.

Like; give us the ability to upgrade weapons or shields or deflectors with custom modifiers.
But NOT making it easy to do. You have to earn of grind what you can make/create. Because lets be honest, 15 minutes is all it takes to get a full Aegis set.

Another hour to get a full Purple weapon set. (with crappy modifiers)

I think there needs to be more to it than that.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-30-2011, 11:23 PM
IMO, the greatest problem with the "new" crafting system is that it is no longer feasible for one character to craft for another.

Let us call the person doing the crafting the "Crafter" and the person for whom the crafting is being done the "Customer".

To put it shortly, the chief problem is that the entire dilithium cost of crafting is drawn entirely from the Crafter's supply and not from the Customer's. Furthermore, there is virtually nothing of value that the Customer can provide that will appropriately compensate the Crafter for the loss of his own dilithium. This means that the Crafter is essentially expending his dilithium as a free gift to the Customer.

What is needed then is a way for the Customer to supply dilithium for crafting that is carried out by the Crafter. I can think of two ways that this can be done without allowing direct trading in dilithium between characters.

The first method would be to allow crafting to be a two-person operation, with one person supplying the crafting skill, and the other person allowed to supply materials (anomoly data, rare samples, schematics, dilithium, or whatever). This mode could even be set to default to the Customer being the one to receive the item rather than the Crafter if Cryptic so desires.

The second method would be to create a new class of schematics that are purchasable for dilithium and are tradeable. The Customer could then purchase the schematics for the desired item, then give them to the Crafter. The entire dilithium cost of the crafted item would thus be sunk in buying the schematic for it. The key would be that the dilithium-to-schematic conversion is a one-way trade, so there would be no way for the Crafter to redeem the schematic for dilithium--the Crafter could only either craft with it or trade it to somebody else.