Lt. Commander
# 41
10-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Take long enough to get skill points up just to craft now who wants to bother with extra requirements
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green117 View Post
And your pic is devoid of relevance in all fairness. Its a Test Server, the amount of people on there is very little. Who is to say that i could have gone to Memory Alpha an hour later and the place was packed, a crafting party if you will. Perhaps all the people were behind the cameras frontal angle. Photos can be very subjective when we want them to be. I'm not saying there was a mass party there, but please don't try to reinforce the idea that crafting is dead with a screen grab from a Test Server ;p
My intention was not to claim my results from stopping in Memory Alpha were scientific. I just thought it was interesting since I have never gone there and seen the place empty on test servers or live. Also there is no need for deception, Cryptic can track what is being used in the game.

As for the merit or intent on Cryptic's part I don't think it's relevant if the result would be no one bother's with crafting any more.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-31-2011, 12:55 AM
I understand them adding dilithium to the crafting i do, however at the present costs it's just plain ridiculous, they definitely need to lower the numbers to a more suitable level for casual play because that's what crafters are in all MMO's casual players. Anyone with a microbrain can see that.

As for the particles and the odd number changes. The particles are fine so long as they don't limit the discovery of them, and they really should have left the even number items in the crafting lists because it's just retarded to take those out. Makes no sense whatsoever to limit the casuals like this. And yes it does become a chore and not a fun game experience when you spend months trying to equip on ship and a bridge crew entirely in epix.
Anyone who disaggrees should be playing another game entirely, like a FPS or a raid only game or something. meh
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobber
I understand them adding dilithium to the crafting i do, however at the present costs it's just plain ridiculous, they definitely need to lower the numbers to a more suitable level for casual play...
+1 on this.

I dont think craftng on the Holodeck in STO is really crafting; its more like some kind of extended purchase system that requires me to grind for specific types of currency to purchase from the memory alpha vendor. And there are other vendors that accept different types of currency for essentially the same product.

++ Some thoughts, YMMV, does not address Fleet/Collabrative Crafting.

To be honest dilithium is just another "trace", and like other traces you get them through grinding (or at least you would if they drop rates were right , and yes that needs fixing) , I think the rates in MA and maybe other vendors do need to come down, but then they are balancing an economy, start high work low, and that's why its beta and why we are testing it...

To the invetiable question of "THEY HAVEN'T RESPONDED TO MY POST..." meh... well maybe they have lives, that don't revolve aorund STO at the weekend, maybe there are more of us than there are of "them" and maybe they are trying to listen to whats going on,and see what can be changed?

Question: Would people be so upset if they had added, emblems or badges of exploration/honour marks, merits as a component of crafting, because that's essentially what happened?

What is difficult to understand is why they have taken away so many missions that provided them? I had/have "millions" of the damn things on holodeck, from exploration, and story missions etc... that i replayed and essesntioally never used, I mean all of those missions to get basic anomolies, which log up marks of exploration that I will never use... but then there is an economy to balance?

Then I get to the DOFF system, which has lots of dribbles of dilithum in them... and I wonder if that is what is meant to replace them, or if they are trying to balance the inclusion of them in the economy. We have never had an exchange rate between an exploration mark and an emblem, an emblem and dilithium seems to be about 480 and 2.4 dilithium seems to equal 1 merit.

The challenge is at low levels we used to be able to go into a vedor on ESD and exchange marks for gear or Memory Alpha acquire gear for trace/particles... now both elements require dilithium and we seem to have less ways to aquire it, e.g. we don't get it for exploration missions or strory missions anymore, we get it for DOFF mission instead?

Maybe they should re-introduce Dilithium into each of the story/exploration missions perhaps? With decreasing amounts returned if you replay a mission?
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofheat
Maybe they should re-introduce Dilithium into each of the story/exploration missions perhaps? With decreasing amounts returned if you replay a mission?
Adding Dilithium to ALL Missions would be a Major Step Forward in Balancing Out the Numbers of D that are Need throughout the game if these things go live. Adding it to Pay for Missions would help ease the burden of getting the quantities need for things. Great idea, if they will take it to heart......
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Except you can only refine 8000 a day so it would still take a month just to outfit a ship. This iead only helps if its refined dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-31-2011, 01:53 PM
They can't kill it 'til it hits Holodeck. But it looks pretty bad right now...
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 View Post
Except you can only refine 8000 a day so it would still take a month just to outfit a ship. This iead only helps if its refined dilithium.
sort of true, but, actually if you still gained it during early missions you could build up a stock, lets say it takes a normal person a few weeks to get to VA ... that's a potential 168k of dilithium refined, which you wont need till you hit VA (really)
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Question: Would people be so upset if they had added, emblems or badges of exploration/honour marks, merits as a component of crafting, because that's essentially what happened?
Yes I think people would be just as upset. You can't go on the exchange and buy emblems badges honor marks or merits. Right now on the live server if I'm close to being able to craft something I can buy the missing pieces.

Also I can craft things I don't need with the sole intent of selling those items on the exchange to bring in the EC to buy the items needed to craft things I do want for myself.

Now crafting is tied to a currency that you can't trade.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
To be honest dilithium is just another "trace", and like other traces you get them through grinding (or at least you would if they drop rates were right , and yes that needs fixing) ,

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Please people, remember Dilithium IS cash!

Cryptic chose to link dilithium with the c-store. dilithium can be traded for cryptic Points, CP are purchased with cash, rD = CP = $. By adding a dilithium charge to crafting, Cryptic has added a CASH TAX to craft! Whether you grind for it, trade your stipend for it, or pay in CP for it, it has a real world cash value . I cannot condone paying - even a little - to craft!