Lt. Commander
# 11
10-31-2011, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Songbird-
I haven't heard this interview.. so let me get this straight, inferring from, what you're saying.. they are admitting to intentionally adding grind, and looking for more ways to do so?

Wow..
They have to slow down leveling so that you're each rank longer. That way you're more likely to buy one of the Cstore ships for your rank because you'll get more use out of it.

Why would you bother to buy a +.5 ship if you're just going to out level it in a few days?

The bad news is they just would rather pile on more grind then come up with new missions or something meaningful to actually make you want to play longer.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-31-2011, 09:09 AM
It's more than that, they need to slow down things because they know there isn't any new end-game content and if the F2Pers get to endgame as fast as we did, they won't stay to send money on and STO is going to fail.

STO desperately needs new long-term playable content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
This doesn't mean I want to build a bot that does the grind for me I just want the grind to contain something fun and challenging. For example, for me, that would mostly be PvP. If you give me rewards for PvPing - especially for PvPing succesfully, aka beating the challenge of clever, adaptable opponents, I'll be fine and have no issue taking a year to get all my items.

But of course, the reason a Free to Play game puts grind into the game is so that people buy stuff that makes the grind shorter and easier. Cryptic does take the direct route, apparantly- allow us to trade C-Points for Dilithium with other players. They don't really want us to grind that long. They just want us to pay for faster leveling and gear acquisition. That's all.
Exactly! Grinds shouldn't feel like "eh, this is going to take FOREVER!", instead you want a grind to feel like its not there and you're working towards a goal.

As for Cryptic's focus more on money, unfortunately thats too much true. They are focused more on the greed factor in milking player's money than encouraging new players by expanding with new content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
My Crafting Revamp idea adds a grind to Crafting. (Without being such an obvious and onerous railroad to the C-Store too!)

Basically, it adds steps and timers to crafting everything, while necessitating a new class of Crafting Materials that will have to be acquired (not Dilithium), with optional C-Store and Dilithium shortcuts to make the bean-counters happy.

It also allows for people to use extra Crafting Components to get a chance to determine the modifiers on the items they craft (with a failure chance).
Another Idea I had for crafting, which might not be popular, is adding a construction time to components. And this could be somewhat tied to the DOFF system.

For example: Ground Gear takes 30 minutes, ship weapons take 2 hours, new Impulse Engines 8 hours.

This gives it more of a realisitc contruction and it won't flood the market as easily with goods. Of course given the ease of drops from Fleet Actions and War Zones, nobody would even bother with crafting since they can get it in 15 minutes in a drop.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's more than that, they need to slow down things because they know there isn't any new end-game content and if the F2Pers get to endgame as fast as we did, they won't stay to send money on and STO is going to fail.

STO desperately needs new long-term playable content.

this...
That's also why they changed the starting level of the KDF... a lack of content, sorry content is subjective, I forgot....lack of missions.
I amazed that's the solution they came up with rather than getting to work on new missions.
It's not like it's a new issue, it's been an issue since launch. They were doing OK while every couple months they had a few new ones, but, it's coming up on a year with nothing.
Speaking of missions, whatever happened to the next Featured series that was originally slated for release in Sept?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFLordKrueg View Post
this...
That's also why they changed the starting level of the KDF... a lack of content, sorry content is subjective, I forgot....lack of missions.
I amazed that's the solution they came up with rather than getting to work on new missions.
It's not like it's a new issue, it's been an issue since launch. They were doing OK while every couple months they had a few new ones, but, it's coming up on a year with nothing.
Speaking of missions, whatever happened to the next Featured series that was originally slated for release in Sept?
I know! Thought there was KDF content that was to be from existing Federation missions. I mean who wouldn't love to see the Klingon side of the Regulus attack, or the Tribble Hunting mission at Minos Korva?

Think that would've been better than getting rid of the B'Rel and the T2 ships (which really you don't need since you're a Commander before you even get off Qo'nos).

As for the DS9 FE, they delayed it for F2P Launch from what I understand.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Grinding doesn't have to be a bad thing. Basically most games are kill kill kill over and over again. The issue is with the combat and pace of the game. If the combat is boring or clunky and the pace slow, grinding can feel like a chore and gets old quick. If the combat is dynamic and changes constantly, causing you to adjust accordingly while maintain a steady to fast pace, grinding ins't even noticeable.

STO has decent gamplay, at least in space, this could be kicked up a notch with better enemy AI though. The bigger issue is the pace. The pace in STO is sooooooo slow. And I am not talking about individual battles, I am talking about the pace at which you progress from one event to the next. First off missions are 1at a time. Most MMOs you can do 2-8 missions in an area at once, banging out different objectives. STO it's 1 planet at a time. They really need more than one mission per planet. Second is the travel between mission, how boring is flying around a exploration sector looking for a mission to pop? There is so much downtime between missions the pace just drags. Tis makes the game feel so grindy, no one wants to do multiple missions.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-31-2011, 10:05 AM
STO honestly only has a few different mission types. While grinding for 60 hours to reach cap might seem like a short time, in number and variety of missions, it is an eternity.

This game can not survive the further addition of griding without the addition of compelling content to grind.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Songbird-
I haven't heard this interview.. so let me get this straight, inferring from, what you're saying.. they are admitting to intentionally adding grind, and looking for more ways to do so?

Wow..
He never used the word "grind" per se. What he did say was that they want to "slow down" the leveling in the game. The idea was to eliminate the ability for people to max out a character using a weekend of playtime with a 12-pack of Red Bull (or something to that effect). The end result, of course, ends up being adding things that require a grind.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
The main attraction for me is that there is minimal grind in STO.

Extending the time it takes to get to end-game is still a good idea though, but the gaps need to be filled with more playable diverse and interesting content. Grinding repetitive content does not add anything to the game (go play Lineage 2 for some grind - shudder).

Putting end game further out of reach for players is just a lazy excuse to avoid developing end-game itself. The same is being done with Klingon Gameplay at the moment. Cryptic is eliminating the need to develop Klingon faction content by letting players just them skip a bunch of levels.
This here ^
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
The idea was to eliminate the ability for people to max out a character using a weekend of playtime with a 12-pack of Red Bull (or something to that effect).
And I have to ask who the heck are these people and why don't they have a life?
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes, we don't have enough content for the freaks with no lives who sit and play games for days on end wearing a diaper so they don't have to go to the bathroom, so let's stretch the content we do have out so that you have to grind your way through it. Genius! Lazy but genius! Who cares about casual players?

This whole move is crap, IMO.