Lt. Commander
# 21
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
I think this is a misconception, so let me try and clear it up...

We're not actively looking for ways to add more "grind" to STO. We are actively looking for ways to slow down the amount of time it takes to have a character reach max level, and max gear progression.

This does not mean that we intend on making STO a "grind" game. Far from it! However, we do want to slow down the rate of progression, in order to provide you a better experience, and provide you more goals to reach once you hit maximum level.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

We're not actively looking for ways to add more "grind" to STO. We are actively looking for ways to slow down the amount of time it takes to have a character reach max level, and max gear progression.

This does not mean that we intend on making STO a "grind" game. Far from it! However, we do want to slow down the rate of progression, in order to provide you a better experience, and provide you more goals to reach once you hit maximum level.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Then you are going about it in the wrong way. If you intend to slow down the rate of progression there needs to be more diversity in the things to do while at lower levels and eng-game while obtaining what you need for your gear. You do not have that in the game.

Might I suggest you focus on adding new story content, revamping exploration, making some missions more end game friendly, add in scaling rewrds to the current story mission line-up, etc....

Basically, you are forcing players to do the same suite of missions over and over to get that carrot and by limiting how far they can go to get to that carrot, are in fact, making the game a grind.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
And as has been pointed out slowing down the game is a bad idea. You need to generate new content, not stretch content out. You've proven poor at stretching KDF content, do you honestly think the Federation players are going to let you do the same with theirs?

And any way you word it StormShade it is adding a grind, we have to grind 30-40 STFs for one piece of gear. You have to grind for a multitude of days (and refine for a multitude of days) to get full sets of basic blue gear due to Dilithium restrictions. It's a grind, you can't twist words and phrases to make it not one.

And you need to take it from us here. We're the players, if we, the players, are viewing it as a grind, then to us, its a grind, and its us, you need to appease, not that you seem to think that at Cryptic/PW
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
I have to ask, Stormy. Have you actually tried playing on Tribble as a player with the new Borg salvage and dilithium prices? Have you tried to grind enough of this crap to buy anything of worth without using your dev cheats?

You may say you guys are not trying to add grind but it sure seems like you're doing a damn good job of adding it without trying.

Lt. Commander
# 25
10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
More goals to reach at maximum level? What are these goals?

Can you describe some of the methods that are being implemented to slow down progression on Tribble?
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Slowing down the progression + keeping the same amount of content = grind.

Unless there's more content to be had, slowing down progression is just going to force people to do the same "Kill 5 this" or "Scan 5 that" over and over. aka, grind.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Can't this be accomplished by slashing experience earned, energy credit payout, and mission rewards? Why take the route of capping everything instead?
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
While it is somewhat true that you have slowed down the equipment acquisition, though I do think the dilithium costs are still too high on crafting, I do not see where level progression has been slowed in the least. It was always easy to get to max level with little to no effort at all, in fact it can take roughly a month to get a character to VA without really working at it. The only real way to increate the time it takes to max level will be to 1)increase the amount of content availible to players and 2)reduce the xp output of missions. One way this could be done would be to say.....allow for a great er emphasis on FOundry missions, but I am begining to suspect that this will never happen because of late the apparent support for the foundry from cryptic seems to amount to crickets and more hollow promises without any sight of even a vague action plan.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
That's all fine and good. Sadly you only have 20 hours or so of content and since there isn't any being added extending the time to level/gear is nothing but grind. I'm all for the extension of gameplay, but sadly this game has never had enough content as it is, extending the time is just going to make it that much worse. If you want to extend the time, give us much more to do than just repeat the same dailies for dilithium just to keep playing.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Why not make mark XII the gear that takes forever to get? Make it cost Dilithium to craft, cost so much Dilithium without crafting that it takes a few months to outfit a ship. Just please do not look for ways to take what we already have and make it harder to get. There is no precedent for the price of a Mark XII purple item at a vendor. There is a precendent for the old emblem items, and making those harder to get can not be made to look positive. Or if you really want to have expensive gear at everly level, create a new level of rarity, and charge us out the nose for that.

In summary, give us new stuff to work for, don't make us work harder for what we can get now.