Lt. Commander
I am wondering if anyone would be willing to construct a lareg series of klingon missions bases on storylines i write. if so i would be very greatful
Lt. Commander
# 2 try making them? :)
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
You could try to learn the tools. You only need a few basics to get started. Your missions can develop over time, as you experiment more with the Foundry?

Don't give up before you try, I guess I was trying to say.

Best of luck
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanofwolves
I am wondering if anyone would be willing to construct a lareg series of klingon missions bases on storylines i write. if so i would be very greatful
Methos5k is right when he said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos5k
You could try to learn the tools. You only need a few basics to get started. Your missions can develop over time, as you experiment more with the Foundry?

Don't give up before you try, I guess I was trying to say.

Best of luck
There are lots of resources out there to help you with the development of your mission series. Plus you have the resource of a lot of great authors here on the forums to answer questions. Also those of us who will help you find the things to fix as you develop the mission for release.

My best advice to you is developing a story. Decide if it is going to be dialog heavy, battle heavy or a good combo of both. Then develop the maps with interactive objects, NPC's and other elements. Then bring it to folks like me, The.Grand.Nagus, filbones or most any of the authors on this forum to evaluate it and give you constructive feedback. This is a great community and they are always willing to help out with advice or suggestions. Just remember, no one can tell your story better than you.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work.
Brian
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Honestly I can understand why you would want someone else to do the mission construction. It is definitely a long and arduous process to make a well-made mission, not to mention additional time to actually learn the tools.

Maybe there's a way to have it worthwhile for an author to help you out. Sweeten the pot if you will.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-07-2011, 02:19 PM
In terms of just coming up with the storyline, are you going to come up with the NPC dialogues as well? I've found that the incidental dialogues are by far the most time consuming part of making my missions. Of course, that could be because of the way I make them.

I suppose if you could find someone who enjoys creating levels and working with the Foundry assets but not so much coming up with stories it could be a good match.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-09-2011, 11:19 AM
i would sconstruct the neitre storyline and npc dioulouge.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM
While I can appreciate why you would want someone else to construct the mission, and I agree with the sentiment that mission creation can be difficult, I would strongly discourage this for the following reasons:

1. You Don't Get Credit

Currently, it is impossible for ownership of a Foundry mission to be transferred from one player to another. As such, the credit and recognition for the mission would go to the player who actually created it, rather than the one who wrote it (you). This might not be important to you, but it is something to consider.

2. You Lose Creative Control

There may be times that you and the person creating your mission disagree about the direction things should go. Perhaps you encounter an obstacle to your vision, and this requires you to consider alternatives. If you disagree on what to do, you are at the mercy of the person creating the mission to accept and implement your ideas. The person creating the mission has the lion-share of the power in the relationship.

3. BUGS!

This is one of the biggest problems with a potential partnership. The Foundry is still a Beta product, which is just a fancy way of saying that when someone at Cryptic sneezes, something in the Foundry breaks. During the recent Season 5 transition, one of my missions was hit by some nasty bugs; because Cryptic disabled the editor, I could not fix the problem or even pull my mission down! I could only watch helplessly as the negative reviews began to stack up.

Something similar could easily happen if your mission is officially owned by someone else. If a bug hits your mission and renders it unplayable, and if the person who created your mission is unavailable to fix it, all you can do is watch in frustration as the negative reviews begin pouring in, pushing your mission down into obscurity. This is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

4. Your Partner Could Quit

If your partner decides to permanently leave Star Trek Online for another game (e.g. SWTOR), your mission could disappear completely. Because it would be linked to his/her account, and not yours, there would be nothing you could do about it.

These are just a few of the reasons I would strongly discourage a writer/creator partnership, and recommend that you create the mission yourself. I understand why you might be hesitant to commit the time and energy to learn how to use the Foundry; before creating my mission series, I never had any intention of creating missions in STO. Ultimately, it was my desire to tell a story (and tell it my way) that compelled me to learn. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the resources and support you have if you decide to do this.