Lt. Commander
# 11
11-02-2011, 05:42 PM
The real sticking point now, imo, is the 8k refine cap. Will it be raised, lowered or be done away with.

If I was buying Cryptic points at between 50 and 500 dilithium a piece to buy a new 1,600 account unlock Ship then it would take me between 10 and 100 days minimum to refine between 80k and 800k dilithium.

Still, in that time, I am playing the game doing activities I enjoy doing to reach the 8k cap per day, and the net result is a free ship across all characters at present and in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i dont see how anybody gets ripped off. you see the points/dilithium. you see what they cost and you press buy on the amount you want.

all the numbers are clearly displayed and you get exactly what you think you are getting, so no one has to buy or do anything they dont want or they can wait until prices come down. people can of course make foolish purchases, or rash purchases but i would say that the player who has to be responsible for their own decisions there, as with the c-store in general.

people that spend their entire life playing this game earning bucket loads of dilithium will win massively from free points. i know that because of this system i will ultimately spend less money than i would without it. thats sounds like I'm winning. I'm not striking it rich because these points are bound to STO, I'm still going to be buying points but ill be spending less and cryptic is getting less money out of me. perhaps the are making more money out of somebody else to compensate but again everybody is accountable for their own actions and what others do with their money is their business.
Which will ultimately lead to a lot of rage when one day, folks realize that five minutes after they 'exchanged' their X-number of C-Points for Y-number of Dilithium (or vice-versa) and thought they got a good deal...,

PWI/Cryptic have lowered/raised the exchange rate, because They weren't happy with Their TAKE for the month.

The only Entity that is going to come out ahead with this Scheme is PWI & Cryptic.

At some point, it's going to dawn on the average player, that the C-Point Clearing House is a lot more expensive and time-consuming than just buying the dang points outright.

And THAT is exactly what PWI and Cryptic want them to do.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-02-2011, 09:41 PM
It looks like the new DL Exchange will be using the nearly the same system as other PW games.

I guess I was on to something back on 10-10-2011:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Below are a couple threads on the PWI forums. One has some questions about gold trading and the other is a guide on gold trading:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=264191

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...t=gold+trading

Also, these links are about $ for Zen which eventually becomes gold (or another in-game currency):

https://billing.perfectworld.com/whatiszen
https://billing.perfectworld.com/exchange

Personally I think we will have a similar system coming up.

Lt. Commander
# 14
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSDelphin
Its up http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2671 just for those that might not have noticed.
What do you think?
I've been interested to see how this would work but now that its here, I really don't care, not while other issues persist, I'd prefer communication and solutions from the devs on those issues first.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
The real sticking point now, imo, is the 8k refine cap. Will it be raised, lowered or be done away with.

If I was buying Cryptic points at between 50 and 500 dilithium a piece to buy a new 1,600 account unlock Ship then it would take me between 10 and 100 days minimum to refine between 80k and 800k dilithium.

Still, in that time, I am playing the game doing activities I enjoy doing to reach the 8k cap per day, and the net result is a free ship across all characters at present and in the future.
And herein lies the rub: The economy is *too* regulated.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
They lost me at "Price caps"

I fail to see the point of the exchange if there's a min or cap. most likely the price will go to one of the 2 extremes, and my bet isn't on the min.

It's a market, and in order to get a market rate you can't be capping or min'ing the allowable prices.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
They lost me at "Price caps"

I fail to see the point of the exchange if there's a min or cap. most likely the price will go to one of the 2 extremes, and my bet isn't on the min.

It's a market, and in order to get a market rate you can't be capping or min'ing the allowable prices.
Don't worry...

It will get adjusted...

Just as soon as PWI/Cryptic realizes that Their Monthly TAKE isn't high enough.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Don't worry...

It will get adjusted...

Just as soon as PWI/Cryptic realizes that Their Monthly TAKE isn't high enough.
I'm not worried. I was worried after the 1st few blogs, and the F2P announcement. Now I'm just weighing the pro's and con's of abandoning STO and going to play Mount & Blade: Warband, or World of Tanks, or Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Every blog has been just one more thing I don't like.

They wrecked the STF's, they wrecked the economy, they ignore paying current players, they ignore the lifers.

The ONLY good thing so far has been the Doff systemm, which was planned for for the last year I believe. So I don't really count that as a pro on the F2P pro/con sheet i keep mentally.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I'm not worried. I was worried after the 1st few blogs, and the F2P announcement. Now I'm just weighing the pro's and con's of abandoning STO and going to play Mount & Blade: Warband, or World of Tanks, or Pirates of the Burning Sea.

<snip>
Did you say World Of Tanks?

I had some experience with that "F2P" PVP competitive shooter game.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...7&postcount=21

For me... Two months, over 1,000 games, and $150 later I was done with this "free" to play game.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
In World Of Tanks, larger bore premium ammo can cost around $0.05 per round. Imagine, every time you click the mouse to fire during combat you spend a real world nickel. Click 20 times in a game and you just spent a real dollar. Adds up quick in this competitive multi-player FPS.

MnB: Warband and MnB: With Fire And Sword are pretty darn fun in my opinion.. But quite a ways off from the Star Trek genre.

Pirates can be fun.. But also it can be very boring sailing from point A to B over and over to trade and craft... Especially if the wind decides to fark with you (like it always seems to do).

But as far as Star Trek type games I still consider this to be the best so far.

Lt. Commander
# 20
11-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
Finally we will have a means to acquire C-Store items through in-game means. Something people have wanted since release.
No , here we have the option to buy c-store points ... , not c-store items .
The difference is that these c-store points only exist currently in statistical projections , not in real life .
In real life nobody has any idea how many players will actually put c-store points on this exchange .

I'm betting on not too many , but then again I am a bit paranoid .
My problem with this is that they are making A HUGE BET that there will be a lot of ppl placing c-store points on the exchange .
And this bet is too big ... considering that it's at the heart of this game's new economy .
As unlike the real economy ... , this is not "too big to fail" .
Closed Thread