Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusTong View Post
The new symbols actually match the department symbols used since ST:TOS. For Engineering, Command and Science....I guess they now call command tactical... Take a close look at the TOS uniform chest insignia...The symbols are right there.
That's true...for Feds. It still doesn't make sense to change them now. And they're definitely not that on the KDF-side (the Engineering Team symbol looks like a K'tinga and I don't know what the Tac Team symbol is. A funky pound sign?). So they're different symbols for Feds and KDF. How does that make any sense? And of all the things to change, they change something that was working fine. WTF are they thinking? It's like vacuuming the floor while your house is being torn down because you're remodelling everything. It's pointless.

Z
Lt. Commander
I actually like this change, and from a dev perspective (Im a UI developer), it probably didn't take much development time to change it, they just changed the icon, which takes maybe 15 minutes in any decent image editing program, which Im assuming is probably Photoshop in Cryptic's case. It more than likely didn't take any time at all.

For one, its more in universe (the Sci, Tac, and Engineering symbols are the same as their respective departments in the Federation) than the random symbols they were using previously. If you know your Trek, it should be easy enough to tell which power is which. Perhaps they should have color coded the icons, so that Sci Team is a darker blue, Red for Tac team, and Yellow for Eng.

And not to insult anyone's play style, but if you have your powers setup on your ability bar in the priority that you use them, than it should still be easy enough to activate them without really looking at them. They look dissimilar to pretty much all of the other power icons.

Plus, unless you're colorblind (again, Im not insulting anyone. Colorblindness is a very real thing and it can be very challenging to deal with in Gaming, ), you should be able to tell that Red is Tac, Blue is Sci, and Yellow is Engineering with the Bridge Officers themselves, the only thing I could think of that they maybe should change is making the powers color coded so that you know which power belongs to which department by just glancing, but its not really necessary, it would just be cool.

And trust me, Im not much of a fan of Cryptic's changes vis-a-vis the new Crafting system.

(TL;DR: The new icons are in Universe, and previously they weren't, so I dont get why some people don't like it)
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadamsxii View Post
(TL;DR: The new icons are in Universe, and previously they weren't, so I dont get why some people don't like it)
I don't like it because changing something that was working doesn't make much sense. Also, changing common ability icons to be different for each faction doesn't make sense, either. Color-coding would be irrelevant.

Here is the current Fed Team icons (Eng, Sci, Tac).

Here is the current KDF Team icons (Eng, Sci, Tac).

Again, why fix something that isn't broken? Why complicate things more with faction-specific icons for abilities? It's like they're throwing darts at a list of things they could do and whatever item a dart hits gets done. That's how much sense changing the Team icons makes.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't understand the hate for this change. I like the new icons especially since they're different between KDF/FED. The only thing that threw me off is the graphic appears on both your ship and the target's, so at first I thought I kept misfiring. But at least now when the graphic on your ship you know whether it went off or not without having to watch the icon. Also helpful in PVP to identify who healed who.

Honestly its just an art change, its absolutely nothing to get worked up over. Sometimes it feels like if Cryptic does anything they get bashed, if they do nothing they get bashed. It's really a no-win situation for them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Are you sure that the heals are actually going off for your target? I was in several missions tonight where I tried to fix teammates, and consistently misfired. It wasn't the icon going off on both ships, it was me getting healed but not my target; I watched the hull on my friend and it never budged when i tried to hit them with Engineering III.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-05-2011, 04:54 AM
Did they add aynthing to denote different ranks of the skills? Because that would be a really worth-while addition to the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-05-2011, 07:26 AM
most significant change is, that science grants no operations buff any more.
I hope, they simply forgot that

but sorry for writing that in here, i just saw the "changed icons text"
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I totally agree with the new Icons totally suck.

Why?

- They look like nothing, the Symbols are weird and I could not imagine what they should represent.
- Engineering Team and Science Team look alike a bit too much for my taste, hard to keep them seperated.
- They totally do not fit with the other ability symbols, as if they were designed by a total different way of thinking.

My question is, and has been asked MANY times;

WHY in the WORLD CHANGE something which was never BROKEN?
Its the same bull**** as when Season 4 unwillingly by most players, changed the Font of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
im not a massive fan of the change. whats more confusing is it seems different levels have different icons.

engineering team 1 is not the same as 2

science team 1 is not the same as 3.

its is confusing to change it half way through and not even make it uniform. im sure we will all adapt to it but it seems somewhat pointless.
Really? I'll have to check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
It's good that the new icons clearly display their type (i.e. team), but it takes a while to learn the new symbols...which aren't really all that logical. Why not a wrench for ET? or a beaker for ST?
Because Science is all about overlapping circles, DUH.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Really? I'll have to check this out.

Because Science is all about overlapping circles, DUH.
Sure. Photonic Shockwave + Charged Particle Burst + Dampening Field? 3 overlapping circles. Makes sense to me.