Lt. Commander
Recently having decided to check out other F2P models and see what the F2P thing is on a whole, I am left a little perplexed by Cryptics actions.

Most of the other models I have seen that use a combination of F2P and Paid subscription follow the path of paid (Gold) have perks, benefits and bonuses that are NOT attainable by F2P (Silver) players. This provides the incentive for more people to start subscribing to the Gold path, while still utilising micro transations in the in-game stores (for those games that have that feature)

This to me makes perfect sense to me, it clearly seperates both classes of subscriptions.

HOWEVER, we future Gold Players come to Cryptics model. Gold gets extra character, bank, ship, boff slots and a monthly stipend of C-Store points. Sounds yummy, good reasdon to keep paying... WRONG.

For a few bucks on the credit card spent in the C-Store Silver players can get the exact same thing, and with the new (And I am so very strongly against this idea) Dilithium Exchange, can get their monthly stipend too via a different means, all without paying the monthly subscriptions.

This actually leaves absolutley no difference between Gold and Silver paths, and I really want to know why Cryptic will not benefit the players who will continue to subscribe to the game financially. Lifers have paid their fees, and monthly subbers will pay alot more in the end

This issue has been raised so many times and still has had no real response to it by the powers that be (And probably will continue to be ignored).

So, how do you all feel about this issue? What would you like to see for Gold Members? What do you think would be a good incentive for people to continue to pay a subscription? I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
Recently having decided to check out other F2P models and see what the F2P thing is on a whole, I am left a little perplexed by Cryptics actions.

Most of the other models I have seen that use a combination of F2P and Paid subscription follow the path of paid (Gold) have perks, benefits and bonuses that are NOT attainable by F2P (Silver) players. This provides the incentive for more people to start subscribing to the Gold path, while still utilising micro transations in the in-game stores (for those games that have that feature)

This to me makes perfect sense to me, it clearly seperates both classes of subscriptions.

HOWEVER, we future Gold Players come to Cryptics model. Gold gets extra character, bank, ship, boff slots and a monthly stipend of C-Store points. Sounds yummy, good reasdon to keep paying... WRONG.

For a few bucks on the credit card spent in the C-Store Silver players can get the exact same thing, and with the new (And I am so very strongly against this idea) Dilithium Exchange, can get their monthly stipend too via a different means, all without paying the monthly subscriptions.

This actually leaves absolutley no difference between Gold and Silver paths, and I really want to know why Cryptic will not benefit the players who will continue to subscribe to the game financially. Lifers have paid their fees, and monthly subbers will pay alot more in the end

This issue has been raised so many times and still has had no real response to it by the powers that be (And probably will continue to be ignored).

So, how do you all feel about this issue? What would you like to see for Gold Members? What do you think would be a good incentive for people to continue to pay a subscription? I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Well in all honesty this sucks Gold memebers should get what silver members can not get. I have been with STO from Day 1 and I feel I am being slapped in the face the way the F2P matrix is set. Every game i have played has gone F2P and their way of doing things is like you said Gold gets what silver can not get yet my feeling is PW does not care about us players who have been here from day 1 working our butts off to get our badges, medals, marks etc. From things i have read this seems to be PW's F2P deal. they do not want subs they wants all F2P period. So they give silver what gold members get so they will go F2P also.
I feel Cryptic is really doing something that they might not be able to recover from once they figure things out.
Everything we were told about F2P from Dan now is all thrown out and the new guy has his own ideas which in my honest opinion is not all that great. They better rethink what they are doing to their Playerbase before its too late.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
you guys still havn't figured it out? gold membership is only here for lifetime members. They don't give a rats butt about having people actually sub or buying lifetimes in the future.

the PERKS for lifetime as an actual subber are a joke for the money. As a lifer IF you paid back when the game came out, its fine and dandy as its just icing on the cake.....if you purchased much more recently well then it sucks to be you.

stop asking them why, it is what it is and the model won't be changing enough to actually pull in subs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
You are more likely to blow money in the C-Store if you aren't paying a sub. I'm one of those lifers that got in early. I know for a fact some of the things I bought from the store I would have passed on if I also had to pay a sub fee at the end of the month. Also lets keep in mind the average length of subscriptions in MMOs, it's something like 8 months on the low end and 12 on the high end. Less then they make of an LST and I would guess less then they can make off of the average player buying crap from the store.

Also let's face facts, even with being bought out buy a f2p game company if STO was profitable on subscription income then free 2 play would not be happening here.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
personally i think the same of the whole situation. I find that beyond those who have already passed the 18 month mark on the life time membership are really the only ones who benefit from the gold. In another post on the forums some one did the math and it was better just to spend that $15 a month on c-store points rather than membership.

Personally after the whole stormshade comments towards lifers i had lost a lot of faith in STO but this just makes me lose a bit more. it just seems like they've given up and are just in it for the money. it's a little frustrating for those of us who have been on board since day one to suddenly hear that all of the time and money we spent on our love of STO is now almost meaning less.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm glad that I didn't buy a LTS, even though I've paid the same in subscription costs at 2 yrs. with an annual subscription, because it makes it easier to walk away from the game. As much as I would like to pay that annual subscription until the end of my days, I really would, Cryptic is taking away the incentive to do so. Cryptic is offering three membership plans: gold player, silver player, and non-player. With each patch the incentive to be a non-player grows.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2011, 02:01 AM
If they are not going to make gold worth having,.. they should at least up the stipend to around 12 dollars worth of C-store points or remove the Dilithium conversion cap or something that makes it more worth our time to subscribe. I am a lifer, so I am really ok with any changes, at this point.

The thing is,.. from an outsider's perspective, there is no reason to every subscribe to this game. EVER.

You need to give a reason to subscribe, or just say you don't care and F2P is your goal and the only reason you have a "gold" is in respect to the lifers not the subbers. Because it really feels that way.

As I said,. I have already gotten my money's worth and will gladly spend $15 a month in the C-store to support my habit,... but that is because I don't have another $15 to put down each month already.

But why would anybody else ...
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
If they are not going to make gold worth having,.. they should at least up the stipend to around 12 dollars worth of C-store points or remove the Dilithium conversion cap or something that makes it more worth our time to subscribe. I am a lifer, so I am really ok with any changes, at this point.

The thing is,.. from an outsider's perspective, there is no reason to every subscribe to this game. EVER.

You need to give a reason to subscribe, or just say you don't care and F2P is your goal and the only reason you have a "gold" is in respect to the lifers not the subbers. Because it really feels that way.

As I said,. I have already gotten my money's worth and will gladly spend $15 a month in the C-store to support my habit,... but that is because I don't have another $15 to put down each month already.

But why would anybody else ...
Why have a one off $300 when you can have $150 every year for every year the player plays? That's assuming you only buy 1000 c-points per month. The whole point of the new F2P matrix is not to get people to subscribe.

Rather the point is to get the minority with money to pay for the majority. Cryptic will sell advantages and make the game a whole lot easier for you if you pony up.

Welcome to Asian F2P MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Am I right in thinking that for Klingons, the Aegis set is now usable before you can get the Breen one?
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-09-2011, 08:13 PM
so they've added the auto refining as a gold perk. what does every one think of this move?