Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Okay -- I know this has been beat to DEATH. But I had an idea while running up my Engineer on tribble.

People are asking for a T-5 connie and the powers that be are against it for a variety of reasons.

People are asking for more skins/variants for the Excelsior.

How about a compromise?

Make the Cruiser Refit costume a costume for the Excelsior as well. It's basically an advanced looking connie without BEING a connie. It's an awesome-looking ship for a such a short lived level.

There's precedent for a lower tier ship looking just like a max-level ship. T3 Excelsior looks just like the T5, T4 Venture looks just like the Galaxy Retrofit with the Venture skin and the T4 Defiant looks just like the Retrofit Defiant. So the whole "PvPers would be confused" idea of a ship needs to look like the tier it's in is already nonsense.

I think this will go a long way to solving two problems (grievances) with almost no real work (no idea how long or how much work it takes to hook up a ship costume).

What do all of you think?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Okay -- I know this has been beat to DEATH. But I had an idea while running up my Engineer on tribble.

People are asking for a T-5 connie and the powers that be are against it for a variety of reasons.

People are asking for more skins/variants for the Excelsior.

How about a compromise?

Make the Cruiser Refit costume a costume for the Excelsior as well. It's basically an advanced looking connie without BEING a connie. It's an awesome-looking ship for a such a short lived level.

There's precedent for a lower tier ship looking just like a max-level ship. T3 Excelsior looks just like the T5, T4 Venture looks just like the Galaxy Retrofit with the Venture skin and the T4 Defiant looks just like the Retrofit Defiant. So the whole "PvPers would be confused" idea of a ship needs to look like the tier it's in is already nonsense.

I think this will go a long way to solving two problems (grievances) with almost no real work (no idea how long or how much work it takes to hook up a ship costume).

What do all of you think?
My initial reaction before I read your post was "Oh not this again"

You started to win me over when you brought up the existing precedent...

I am still concerned that this would ultimately create a snowball effect. If the Exeter is made a T5 retrofit alternative, you've given the horde another excuse to say "Well why can't we have the original Connie skin too!"

In which case we are back at square one.

...I stress this doesn't even touch on the more basic problem that is the systems nightmare of getting two completely different mesh skeletons (Excelsior, Connie) to use the same engineering data. It's not as simple as some think.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
The Exeter is a new and modern design though, I would love to see it at T5. I wouldnt count on it anytime soon though. And I would rather they put the effort into getting the Enterprise F in game....that one is taking too long.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I think this is exactly the cosmetic type of C-store item that this game needs going forward. If they sold this for like 250 C-points and add in a TOS Movie bridge pack for 600 C- points It be a big seller.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-03-2011, 02:43 AM
There are those who want to reinstate the old ships because they believe they are the "old school diehard true Star Trek fans". Which is a whole lot of BS (read slang acronym for the term male cow manure). If they were true Star Trek fans they'd accept that the time of the Constitution is over. It's like the battleships. They had a time and a place as master of the oceans and seas. Now that era has passed. As has the era of the Constitution. A legendary ship in a league of it's own, the Constitution and it's modernised (23rd century) refit were without doubt symbolic of the Federation. However that has now passed. As has the time of the Excelsior and the Galaxy. And the era of the Sovereign is waning too, unfortunately for me as I command one.

It is just a game and in games anything is theoretically possible but it's a game with rich lore and a timeline which dictates that the Constitution class is centuries old. There have never been any frontline warships that are over a century old. Miranda's were used in the Battle of Wolf 359 and during the Dominion War but they weren't true frontline combat vessels, they were support vessels which were directed to engage enemy vessels. I was less than impressed when they (Cryptic) brought the NX in but I've accepted it as it's a T1 not a T5. As beautiful as the class may be, it's days as a frontline warship facing off against Borg and Undine are just not meant to be. It's already in game as a T2. Let it go.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailean_556 View Post
There are those who want to reinstate the old ships because they believe they are the "old school diehard true Star Trek fans". Which is a whole lot of BS (read slang acronym for the term male cow manure). If they were true Star Trek fans they'd accept that the time of the Constitution is over. It's like the battleships. They had a time and a place as master of the oceans and seas. Now that era has passed. As has the era of the Constitution. A legendary ship in a league of it's own, the Constitution and it's modernised (23rd century) refit were without doubt symbolic of the Federation. However that has now passed. As has the time of the Excelsior and the Galaxy. And the era of the Sovereign is waning too, unfortunately for me as I command one.

It is just a game and in games anything is theoretically possible but it's a game with rich lore and a timeline which dictates that the Constitution class is centuries old. There have never been any frontline warships that are over a century old. Miranda's were used in the Battle of Wolf 359 and during the Dominion War but they weren't true frontline combat vessels, they were support vessels which were directed to engage enemy vessels. I was less than impressed when they (Cryptic) brought the NX in but I've accepted it as it's a T1 not a T5. As beautiful as the class may be, it's days as a frontline warship facing off against Borg and Undine are just not meant to be. It's already in game as a T2. Let it go.
I appreciate your point of view, I really do. But saying that people like me are full of... scat? No carnivores leave scat. How about shi... no only omnivores leave that and this post is not worth that many infractions. Ah that's it droppings. Herbivores leave droppings or in this case cow droppings. Well it gets my hackles up.

Thank goodness the Exeter has the Connie's distinctive anachronistic profile. Now all old TOSsers like me need is a TMP interior to use on it.

Call me out of place in this modern world but I like old things. Like the 1956 F100 I am working on modernizing in such a way that you can't tell by looking at it, or that old out of date FZR600 I used to ride that kept up with much newer bikes in the corners, even my 1940s apartment which has more electrical outlets in each square foot of it's brick walls than many of the homes that were made in the 1990s.

Yup got me the first +1 ship in the game with my pre-order, (read T1 TOS Constitution). That plus an out of date Miranda or an anachronistically profiled Exeter and a 100 year old T5 Excelsior to gall up the gears of the "true purists" is good enough for me.

So I did let it go already, but then folk gotta come along and offended my sensibilities by suggesting I'm full of cow droppings and I write silliness like this in response. How about you all relax a little yourselves? Continuity in this game is already a joke. Me streaking ESD in my TOS uniforms should be a graphic reminder of that fact. Then again the fact that every sign that denotes "Bank" in ESD is done in Star Trek BT, (now called Horizon), font should be a good reminder when I am away as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailean_556 View Post
There are those who want to reinstate the old ships because they believe they are the "old school diehard true Star Trek fans". Which is a whole lot of BS (read slang acronym for the term male cow manure). If they were true Star Trek fans they'd accept that the time of the Constitution is over. It's like the battleships. They had a time and a place as master of the oceans and seas. Now that era has passed. As has the era of the Constitution. A legendary ship in a league of it's own, the Constitution and it's modernised (23rd century) refit were without doubt symbolic of the Federation. However that has now passed. As has the time of the Excelsior and the Galaxy. And the era of the Sovereign is waning too, unfortunately for me as I command one.

It is just a game and in games anything is theoretically possible but it's a game with rich lore and a timeline which dictates that the Constitution class is centuries old. There have never been any frontline warships that are over a century old. Miranda's were used in the Battle of Wolf 359 and during the Dominion War but they weren't true frontline combat vessels, they were support vessels which were directed to engage enemy vessels. I was less than impressed when they (Cryptic) brought the NX in but I've accepted it as it's a T1 not a T5. As beautiful as the class may be, it's days as a frontline warship facing off against Borg and Undine are just not meant to be. It's already in game as a T2. Let it go.
And though i appreciate your opinion. if Cryptic can bring in the NX as a teir 1 which its so far out of date it could be munched on by a connie like so much candy then they could also make my connie into a tier 4 so i can play with it at admiral level.

I also like the older designs. a lot of the newer stuff im seeing to me looks just ugly. and i dont like it. and i dont want to fly it.

but as you said its just a game and i should have to put up with all the Half Borg Pimp Mobiles flying around ESD then others (Such as yourself) should be able to put up with my TWOK Connie flying around... Oh wait you already have to. so why should you give a rip if im flying it at tier 4 or tier 2.

ill tel you why. those people who PvP can't stand the fact that someone (not me mind you because i dont PvP) will bring in a connie and wipe the floor with them in their sovvie.

As for CBS saying no. I am willing to bet that as C-Store purchases start acounting for so much more income im willing to bet that this will become less and less of an issue. Enough money and CBS will say yes. Im willing to bet that in the next 12 months we will see a lvl 4 or 5 connie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-03-2011, 01:05 PM
And then maybe I'll get my Fletcher class ASW destroyer and fly that around space too! Because surely in the 25th century they'll have the technology to upgrade it with warp engines, shields, phasers and photon torpedoes and it can be a T5 so I can fly that as an Admiral. Because I like old ships and I wanto to fly a 400 odd year old surface combatant in space. Oh and, btw Rayvenwing, my ship doesn't have any Borg tech. And I don't PvP either.

And to you piwright42, congratulations! You've just helped me prove my point. Trying to revive the 'good old days', running around in your TOS uniforms, wishing for a TMP era bridge layout. You're pining for an era that is dying more and more with the passing of every day. It's like you're going through a Science Fiction mid-life crisis. Or you're in denial. Seeing as you're so good at logical deductions, are you a Vulcan? You were in error anyway, as there's really only on colourful metaphor to describe manure that starts with 'S' and it isn't 'scat', that's not colourful enough.

But that's okay, because you are after all, essentially, irrational.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailean_556 View Post
There are those who want to reinstate the old ships because they believe they are the "old school diehard true Star Trek fans". Which is a whole lot of BS (read slang acronym for the term male cow manure). If they were true Star Trek fans they'd accept that the time of the Constitution is over. It's like the battleships. They had a time and a place as master of the oceans and seas. Now that era has passed. As has the era of the Constitution. A legendary ship in a league of it's own, the Constitution and it's modernised (23rd century) refit were without doubt symbolic of the Federation. However that has now passed. As has the time of the Excelsior and the Galaxy. And the era of the Sovereign is waning too, unfortunately for me as I command one.

It is just a game and in games anything is theoretically possible but it's a game with rich lore and a timeline which dictates that the Constitution class is centuries old. There have never been any frontline warships that are over a century old. Miranda's were used in the Battle of Wolf 359 and during the Dominion War but they weren't true frontline combat vessels, they were support vessels which were directed to engage enemy vessels. I was less than impressed when they (Cryptic) brought the NX in but I've accepted it as it's a T1 not a T5. As beautiful as the class may be, it's days as a frontline warship facing off against Borg and Undine are just not meant to be. It's already in game as a T2. Let it go.
So what your essentially saying is you want to play STO in the manner you see best, And force all of us along with you. In your world Canon is a referent for a square hole for all of us to conform to. However a game is about freedom and agency to define your experience any way we see fit.

I don't care who flys what or wears any of the bazillion uniform variants. Whats important to me is I can get my Trek on anyway I see fit and so can the person flying next to me, regardless if they are in a Connie, a Excelsior or a Sovereign.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailean_556 View Post
There are those who want to reinstate the old ships because they believe they are the "old school diehard true Star Trek fans". Which is a whole lot of BS (read slang acronym for the term male cow manure). If they were true Star Trek fans they'd accept that the time of the Constitution is over. Let it go.
Congratulations on completely missing my point.

As I said in my original post, I'm NOT asking for a t-5 Connie. I'm asking for the Exeter skin to be used as a Excelsior variant skin. That's because the Venture-like ships have a unified look that Cryptic is doing for the all NEW ships, which includes the Exeter. And I want a cruiser with a Lt Com Tac slot that LOOKS like the new ships. If the Odyssey-class has that Tac slot, I'll be okay with that, but since the Excelsior is the only Cruiser with the Lt Com Tac slot, I have to fly her.

That is all.

But if you want to turn this into a "no t-5 connies, ever! They're too old, blah, blah, blah." thread, then I can't stop you. But I can point out that that's not what I said in my first post.

Reading comprehension, it's not just a good idea.

"...but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target!" -- Kirk, Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM.